Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,491 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

CHAMPIX - several questions

10 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Readysetgo and congrats! 

Sounds like you are doing great. How are you feeling today?

You may want to start a new thread and share a bit of your story so all the members have a chance to see you. You are a bit hidden in this thread and I know all the veteran members would love to meet you!

Ashley, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi all, I too am quitting with Chantix and for me, the first 2.5 weeks was absolutely terrible. I was extremely tired, had headaches and muscle aches and that general zombie feeling. I was able to quit at my quit date with much less anxiety than I have had in the past. After 2 weeks I felt like I leveled out and feel normal on the pills. I do have to say, everyone I know who has used chantix has quit successfully.... and I definitely look forward to being part of that group! So far I feel like chantix has given me the edge I needed. Good luck!
  • Quit Meter

$20,374.37

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 340 Hours: 15

Minutes: 42 Seconds: 22

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Carlos!!!

I'm sorry to hear about your relapse, but I am so glad that you didn't quit on your quit!  Welcome back, buddy!  I quit using Chantix and it was a great drug for me.  The cost for me was $115 per month, US.  The drug really minimized the intense cravings I had experienced on previous quits.  Using the drug and having the support from everyone here at the SSC allowed me to successfully quit 5 years ago!

The drug will help you very much in the beginning of your quit, as will sticking close here as you did before.  Then, you have to work on convincing yourself that you are no longer a smoker and can never smoke again, even when times get hard!  Start working on a list of coping skills you can use after you have the initial quit under your belt and when you no longer are relying on an NRT to help you.  I'll write some more later about this, buddy!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,212.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1058 Hours: 3

Minutes: 44 Seconds: 24

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 43 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Carlos,
I also quit on Champix and have managed not to smoke now for 8 months. There have been various reports on the negative effects of Champix, the most serious one being that it could lead to acute depression. I did not experience this whilst taking Champix - but I think that this is something to be aware of. If you do feel down remember that that "high" you used to get from smoking is not there anymore. You need to replace cigarettes with other ways to achieve that high. I know it is easier said than done and I have always wondered why people go on and on about rewards but I have come to I believe that it's a way of fighting depression. So, good luck, be strong and come here often. There have been so many times that I have come to this site and by some miracle, someone has posted something that is exactly what I need to read to prolong my fight for another day. And one day at a time is all we can ask for.
11 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Carlos,

You may want to take any questions you have about the drug to your docotr or pharmacist.

In the mean time, here is some information I can share with you:

Champix is a prescription medication, which is used to help adults quit smoking. It does not contain nicotine. It is available in tablet form in 2 dosage levels: 0.5 mg (white) and 1 mg (light blue).

How it works:

Champix can help to relieve the craving and withdrawal symptoms associated with quitting smoking. It is believed to work by stimulating the same areas of the brain that nicotine does. It acts like a weaker version of nicotine and also blocks nicotine from getting to the nicotine receptor.

You start taking it before you quit smoking as it takes a while to build up in your system. People usually start on one 0.5 mg pill a day (days 1 - 3), then move to one 0.5 mg pill twice daily (days 4 - 7), and then two 1 mg tablets a day for days 8 to the end of treatment. When two pills are taken daily, one is taken in the morning and the other in the evening.

It's important to set a quit date before you start taking Champix. The quit date should be during the second week of treatment (between day 8 and day 14). You can keep smoking prior to your quit date, however continuing to smoke, after your quit date, will reduce your chances of successfully quitting smoking.

You stay on it for 12 weeks usually. However, your doctor may recommend that you stay on it longer. It costs about $5/day. Don't take if you're pregnant or breastfeeding. Not recommended for use in children under 18 years of age.

Taking Champix in combination with other smoking-cessation therapies (e.g. patch, gum or inhaler) has not been studied and is therefore not recommended.

The most common side effects are:

Nausea, vomiting, trouble sleeping, headache, abnormal dreams, constipation and gas.

If you have any problems, it's best to talk to your Doctor who may reduce your dose temporarily or make other recommendations.

In case of an allergic reaction or unexpected effects, stop taking Champix and call your doctor or pharmacist.

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 124 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi all

After wearing the patch for almost a month and quitting for four months, I relapsed again for multiple reasons.  My doctor prescribed me Champix. I have no idea what to expect from this product or if it has any side effects?

For a 2 week treatment, the cost here in Bolivia is around $us 80. what's the cost in the States.

Any pointers for this product ?

Thanks for your help

Reading this thread: