Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

Cilia

17 years ago 0 1040 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Anna, I don't know about nose hairs but I know some guys who would quit smoking in a second if it would reverse baldness. :) I thought the following was interesting. It has the usual stuff, but mentions the cilia as well. Time after last cigarette Physical Response 20 minutes Blood pressure and pulse rate return to normal 8 hours Levels of carbon monoxide and oxygen in the blood return to normal 24 hours Chance of heart attack decreases 48 hours Nerve endings start to regrow; ability to taste and smell increases 72 hours Bronchial tubes relax; lung capacity increases 2 weeks to 3 months Improved circulation; lung function increases up to 30% 1 to 9 months Decreased incidence of coughing, sinus infection, fatigue, and shortness of breath; regrowth of cilia in lungs, increasing the ability to handle mucus, clean the lungs, and reduce chance of infection; overall energy level increases [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 16 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 420 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $148 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
17 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I really don't have any personal experience on this because before I quit, I had a HORRIBLE cough that lasted 9 months! In fact, I quit to get rid of the cough, so I didn't cough more or less right after quitting. My cough did go away after about a month of quitting, but as for coughing more due to cilia regrowing, I don't know. However, in previous quits, I did cough more and in fact, that was one of the reasons why I went back to smoking... I was coughing more, so I thought that quitting was hurting my body, so I went back to smoking to get rid of my cough. Silly, huh? That nicodemon will come up with ANYTHING to get us back to smoking! Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 643 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 16,091 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2655.59 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 45 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Looking, Our bodies our all different. The re-growth maybe faster for some than others. Since our quits are all unique we will all experience this symptom differently :) Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.
17 years ago 0 2417 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The only thing that I have read is that the grow back in 6 weeks. I don't want to be gross of anything, my nose hairs are thick! Sorry for the visual. Somebody else reported the increase in nose hairs as well. I was just excited to see that they came back and are now doing their job at full speed. I have not coughed at all since I quit. I was concerned but alot of people don't. I am not going to complain! I drank alot of water, and still do, so maybe that helps...dunno. You are doing great! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/8/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 73 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,101 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $306.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
17 years ago 0 1040 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Regarding the regrowth of cilia (tiny hair-like structures in the lungs that clean out foreign materials like tar), what I'm hearing is that when the cilia are impaired from years of smoking, and then grow back quickly when smoking is stopped, that a lot of coughing happens. But if they grow back slowly... less coughing (or almost no coughing) happens. Is that consistant with what other people have come to understand? Or does someone have a different take on this? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 16 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 408 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $148 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9

Reading this thread: