Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

My thoughts before quitting

17 years ago 0 29 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Interesting, I have picked tomorrow as my start date to being smoke free. I started this morning with 3 cigaretts left and told myself enjoy these little demons for the last time (hopefully). I just got back from taking my daughter to a party, my return trip was me, my diet coke and my smoke, only one left to bid forwell. The hardest times for me are when I am alone. I too have been a closet smoker for to many years. I think my toughest challenges are when driving or alone. I am in the education field also. WE have two things in common, our work and our quitting/starting dates. Good luck to us both. Hopefully we can celebrate our hourly/daily success and battles together. Debbie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm quitting tomorrow, or once I finish off these last 7 cigarettes. I thought about throwing them away and quitting this morning, but caved in and decided to smoke them and be done. I'm glad I did, because I realized something while I was having my first smoke of the day. I feel worse, not better, after I have that first cigarette. I put it off this morning and have been here reading posts instead. I found I didn't even want it that much. I have made myself go in my garage or outside to smoke for the past three years, which makes it uncomfortable when it's cold out. Although, when I'm having a hotflash, I like going to the garage! I was wondering how all this time I could go from 20 cigs a day to 10 with no problem, and could go to 8 with a little determination, but have never managed to just quit. I've really enjoyed reading all these posts, as they've made me feel "normal", and have given me even more determination to quit. I set Jan 1 as my date, but am going to move it up to tomorrow. Let's get the show on the road! I am a teacher and go back to school on the 8th, and want to get the worst over before school starts. I believe this site is going to give me that last boost of determination to quit for good. I hate smoking. I hate that I smoke. I hate what it does to my health. I hate coughing. I hate that I've let it control me. That said... I'm ready to bid smoke good riddance and have it out of my life. What pushed me over the edge is knowing that I can't be who I want to be and be a smoker at the same time. I need my lungs back, and I need my "thought time" on things other than "when can I smoke again"? That said... thanks for all the support here! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
Thank you all for your replies! Good luck to you as well, Debbie! We do have a lot in common. I managed to smoke only 5 cigarettes today, and it wasn't bad. I'm actually pretty excited about quitting. I might be addicted to this sight for awhile, but it's much better than smoking!
I teach at a community college... computer courses - graphic design and some business technology. Photoshop, etc.... I've never smoked at school, so that will actually help me. There are so few smokers left, or they are all in the closet... not sure which! Yes... some days I get overwhelmed with students' needs, committee meetings, etc., etc., all I want to do is "escape", and come home and smoke a cigarette. That will be a challenge. I decided when I get to that point, I'm going to do some neck relaxation exercises in my office instead. I only live about 5-10 minutes from school. Might start staying there for lunch, as well. On one hand, it's harder for me now, because I'm home more, but on the other hand, I have no stress for another week. Time will tell! Thanks for asking.
17 years ago 0 100 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi deb740 and interesting :) Congratulations on your decisions to start the new year right by getting rid of a noxious habit. There is no easy way to get through this, but by using the Program Tools you will find here by reading and posting on this forum regularly, you will soon be smoke free. It takes a lot of determination, but you can do it! I hope to see more of your posts soon. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 46 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,390 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $230 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
17 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What do you teach? At what level? Just wondering -- I taught for a long time and smoking was unbelievably distracting. peteg [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 63 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,194 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $346.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
17 years ago 0 2670 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
interesting and debbie, welcome to both of you , it is not easy, but it is doable all you need is to believe in yourself you can both do this lynnexx ps congrats on your decisions to quit [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/24/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 68 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,022 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �272 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
  • Quit Meter

$113,445.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6486 Hours: 11

Minutes: 5 Seconds: 37

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good for you! And, welcome! Post often and let us know how it is going! What a wonderful gift for 2007 for yourself and your loved ones! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 113 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,692 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $904 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Deb740, Start planning for these triggers now. Coping mechanisms such as chewing gum, drinking ice water, sunflower seeds... have been helpful to many of our members for which driving is a trigger. When you're alone, try to keep busy. Distractions have been helpful to many. We can hardly wait to celebrate your first smoke free day. We hope to hear from you again soon. Danielle _________________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 243 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
We get to thinking that ol cig. is our best friend. We smoked them when we were happy, sad, lonely. We don't need that kind of friend that will just hurt us. You will also like not going out to that cold garage. You probably will have less colds. You will smell better for your students. Your car will smell better. I could go on and on for reasons not to smoke and there are just as many good reasons to quit. Remember you have to have a much stronger desire to quit than to light up. Take one day at a time. It does get better and better. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/28/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 32 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 651 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $76.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57

Reading this thread: