Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,540 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Quitting for good

18 years ago 0 84 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
One thing that is helping me is that from day one I haven't let myself consider the possibility of ever having another puff. I know I'm an addict and I know that even one puff will lead to nicotine hell for me again... So, every time I start to feel an urge and part of my mind wants to wander into "maybe I can smoke just one land" I stop it before it starts and just keep repeating to myself YOU DON'T SMOKE, YOU DON'T SMOKE, YOU DON'T SMOKE!!! Sometimes I have to say it to myself a dozen times but I just say it as long as I need to til the urge to think about having a smoke passes... I consider it my adult/intellectual "me" scolding the child/emotional part of me. It may sound lame but hey - if it works, I'm doing it. :) Good Luck - you've both come a long way! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/3/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 15 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 313 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
18 years ago 0 133 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi quitter, This is exactly how I feel. When I read your post it was like I was looking into my own mind. I�m only on day 19 but I really feel like I�m a non-smoker 99% of the time. Then there�s that 1% nagging me. :confuse: I wish I could answer your question but I cannot. I�m looking forwards to reading what other members have to say. ~Shelly~ :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 19 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 393 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $61.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
18 years ago 0 68 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi all: I haven't had a cigarette in 46 days, and I've been off the patch for 19. I'm through with the mind-bending cravings (I hope), I made it through the week of depression and I've started exercising regularly and drinking lots of water. I feel great to be quit, and I'm dedicated to staying that way. But, I'm worried. The quitting process is just stretching on, and on, and on. I need advice for how to move from the actively quitting, hardcore, every day thinking often about not smoking, to the regular non-smoking living, where I resist cigarettes when they come up but don't have to constantly maintain. I want to get cigarettes off my brain. I feel like I'm still playing the mental quitting games when I'm more comfortable not smoking than my mind wants to admit. Does that make any sense? Let me try this: I've quit smoking, and part of me is just jump up and down thrilled and ready to live the rest of my life smoke-free with ease. Another part of me wants to keep considering smoking, even though I don't really believe I will smoke. It's like I'm holding on to the option, and so every day I have to go through the efforts of not smoking, instead of just naturally not smoking. How do I let that option go? How do I convince that little part of me I'm a non-smoker for good? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/3/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 46 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 932 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $98.9 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
18 years ago 0 68 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks everybody. You helped, a lot. I realized I need to stop pushing myself so hard to not even think about cigarettes. I was just shoving them out of my mind - hard - every time they came into it. I was angry at myself for thinking of it. So the thought just came back, because I hadn't dealt with it, just pushed it away. So now I'm carefully pondering the impulse to smoke each time it comes up. I'm thinking about why I want a cigarette and why I'm a non-smoker now. I'm letting go of the thought when it's over instead of shoving it away. And it's working. The urges are lessening just like the cravings did, and I don't feel so much like I'm fighting now. Now I feel like I'm picking my way through the process instead of battling, battling. This weekend, I'm going to take some time (on my 50-day anniversary tomorrow!!!) to remember why I quit, and to quietly congratulate myself for actually making it. I'm not ready for a party or anything, but I'm ready to declare myself quit, and now I'm maintaining. I wasn't quite ready for that before this week, I don't think. I felt like I was still quitting. I'm sure that I'll still have the difficult periods, it sounds like the 100-day mark or thereabouts will be a doozy. It's still going to be hard not to smoke on road trips or when I'm especially stressed or drinking alcohol or around certain people. But I've quit smoking. Wow. Really. Wow. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/3/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 49 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 994 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $105.35 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
18 years ago 0 128 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Quitter, My husband quit smoking 4 years ago and he seemed to have an easy quit if there is such a thing. I wasn't easy on him. I think I was angry in losing my smoking partner. But I do remember for months before he quit he kept saying he wasn't a smoker. He said he had to say that to prepare his self for the final quit. I'm different with my quit. We were talking the other night and I was telling him how I'm so proud of my quit yet I still don't realize that I'm quit. I can't picture myself as a true quitter yet. So I'm doing what my husband did,,I'm speaking out the words that I want to be. "I am a non-smoker, i picture myself as a non-smoker and I'll never ever never smoke again. And hey tomorrow I hit the beach. Give yourself some time it will all come together. Lana [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 99 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,997 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $495 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
18 years ago 0 382 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Quitter, Congratulations on your 46 days!!! You are doing really well, but I think you are expecting too many results too quickly. Some people are able to rid themselves of those thoughts early on, but, if we are honest, many of us will relate to every word you wrote and at various times in our quits. [quote] The quitting process is just stretching on, and on, and on. [/quote] That is exactly what is happening, as it needs to stretch on and on. You did not learn to smoke quickly, and, for that reason, it takes time for a quit to become established. Some one told me you need to go through all the seasons to feel you have met all the challenges....everyone is different. Somewhere in your mind, the inner junkie is tying your psyche to smoking and not allowing you to let go. I remember thinking many a time..."Well I can always go back to smoking!" Suddenly one day, I just knew I would not and could not go back. I wrote a farewell letter to smoking to help me make that break....it was around 84 days I think. Anyway, I did not look back, but there were still trials ahead, and my real comfort came much further down the line. You are still 'young' in your quit. For now, just be really proud of what you are achieving, remain positive, and look forward to the days of freedom ahead. Know that this release WILL arrive in it's own time. Your attitude and determination will all go to bring that about. Stay strong! NEVER LOOK BACK, THE FUTURE IS AHEAD!!! Lolly. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/25/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 509 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 17,837 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �2545 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 70 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
  • Quit Meter

$11,090.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 693 Hours: 23

Minutes: 11 Seconds: 2

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: