Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,682 Members

Please welcome our newest members: TNIKKA, SKARYLE KATE, BMARC ANTHONY, MNJD, kybrg

Coping with Cravings

18 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jamie, Stay strong! Congratulations on day two. You are doing great. A suggestion when you feel you have a craving/urge to smoke or you find yourself having difficulties coping. Try to set out a coping mechanisms list. This list will assist you when you have an urge or you feel overwhelmed. For example, if you feel a craving coming on, munch on a low fat snack, go for a walk or take up a hobby. If you feel that you are overwhelmed, try some meditation, relaxation techniques or a warm bath. Take some time out for yourself, remember we are all here for you! Take care, Melanie _____________________ The SSC Support Team
18 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Lady. I really dont want to smoke anymore but it is so hard, I just keep remembering that I really felt like crap all the time when I did. You have kicked the habit for a little while. Please tell me it gets better. Im thinking about it all the time. Even when Im trying to distract myself or Im doing something with my kids Im thinking about it, I cant seem to relax yet. Last night I could not sleep well, my heart was racing and I just couldnt seem to relax. My husband keeps referring me to his mother who quit about 30 years ago, and I dont really get along with her and find myself getting more irritated when she talks to me about it. This forum is so easy to talk in but sometimes when your talking face to face with someone about smoking I find myself more irritated and I want to tell them I dont want to talk about it cause it just makes me want to smoke more. I know it sounds weird. I just really want to succeed. Thanks for listening.
18 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Today is day 2, I didnt go out yesterday at all and this morning my kids wanted to go get munchkins. I almost stopped to get cigarettes. I put a lozenge in my mouth before we left and drove by the store and thought about stopping but I really didnt want to. Well, I didnt stop, we got our munchkins (which I am not having any of). I still feel a little weak, but I am very glad I did not stop. My daughter is 5 and doesnt really understand how difficult this is, I tried to explain in a way she would understand. She keeps picking these little arguments to have with me and I sort of just keep removing myself. I feel bad that she doesnt understand. Oh well, I just have to keep strong and keep on going. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 28 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $5.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
18 years ago 0 711 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Children push the boundaries all the time.....it's nothing to do with stopping smoking. It's just a little more difficult to deal with at the moment. Keep strong and don't pong! Brent [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/8/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 43 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 307 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �215 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
18 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good for you Jamie.... Each time you make it through a difficult situation it makes you that much stronger for the next time. You are doing great! Quitting is a process that we have to go through and the first few weeks are the toughest. Take it one step at a time. Trust me... .your five year old will probably never remember how cranky you are at this time. I have three kids and tried to use my being cranky with them as an excuse for going back to smoking in the beginning. I said something to them about would you rather mom smoke than be cranky....they very politely informed me that I was cranky every time I wanted a cigarette when I smoked. So then I started saying to myself.... When I smoked, I wanted a cigarette all the time; now that I don't, I only want one some of the time.... You can do it! Keep going. You are going to love being a non-smoker. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 202 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,048 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $707 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
18 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes Jamie...things get so much better. I understand what you are saying about support from your mother in law. Come here. As you will see, there are several successful quitters here who have been through or are going through the same thing you are. We are here to help. Drink lots of cold water, get some sugar free candy, go for a walk, kick, and scream. I know this sounds silly but I did this in the car when I first quit. If anyone could hear me they would have thought I was nuts. Heck, I thought I was nutz. Whatever you do, just don't smoke. You will survive, your husband and your children will survive. Life will never be as you have known it again. It is going to be so much better. I promise! I wouldn't trade my quit for anything in the world. Just take it one day at a time and you will get there. Read and learn all you can about smoking. It really does help and there is a lot of useful information on this site. We are here when you need us. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 202 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,049 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $707 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
18 years ago 0 563 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
JamieUS, Congratulations on your decision to quit and welcome to the SSC. Life has no consideration for what a person goes through initially when they quit smoking. These first couple of weeks won't be any fun but stay focused, stay strong. You are doing the right thing. Keep reminding yourself of that. Here is a little quote for you to keep things in perspective... [b][color=blue]"May we never let the things we can't have, or don't have, or shouldn't have, spoil our enjoyment of the things we do have and can have. As we value our happiness, let us not forget it, for one of the greatest lessons in life is learning to be happy without the things we cannot or should not have."[/color] [color=black]Richard L. Evans[/color][/b] Stay strong. As time passes you will find that your quit will get easier and easier. Trust me on that one. Get over the hump. Be sure to look at the quit program here. You may also visit whyquit dot com for a real eye opener on the lie that smoking is. We are here for you. Best wishes. [b][color=Green]Be Strong. Be Smart. Be Quit.[/color] [color=black]Joe[/color] [size=3][color=Blue]Knowledge Replaces Fear[/color][/size] [size=2][color=black]Illegitimus non carborundum est[/color][/size][/b] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/15/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 249 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,235 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $610.05 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 43 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
  • Quit Meter

$36,349.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9772 Hours: 19

Minutes: 16 Seconds: 52

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 167 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi JamieUS, How are you doing now? My daughter was 12 when I quit smoking. I told her all about what I was going through and how I felt. I am hoping that it sticks with her, so that she never starts smoking. With a 5 year old, I'm not sure that it's even possible to get her to understand. I guess you can just try and tell her that you feel really bad because you're quitting. Maybe something along the lines of wanting to do something really bad (like going to an amusement park, etc), and then not being able to. Of course, she may just come back and tell you to smoke if you feel bad. (Remember that's not an option!) That's my stab at child psyhcology for today. hahaha It will get better though. Have a little patience with yourself, and take it easy. Keep on not smokin'! Jags [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/19/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 365 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,310 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1120.55 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 50 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
  • Quit Meter

$45,437.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 8155 Hours: 11

Minutes: 42 Seconds: 39

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 763 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Twist the tables on the cravings to smoke.....do some stretching and breathing and visualize yourSELF as the one in control.....You take out the demon! He doesn't get to call the shots.....he screams for a fix and you stretch and say a resounding NO! Let this feeling of "control" build in your mind. YOU are the one running things.....by saying no you are tromping all over the junky!! and don't forget to reward yourself in small ways all the time!!! katy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/4/2002 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1476 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 59,057 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $8118 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 192 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
  • Quit Meter

$159,029.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5345 Hours: 14

Minutes: 44 Seconds: 5

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: