Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

a month of crazy triggers

9 years ago 0 13 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sounds like you had Hypnotherapy coz this is exactly what was happening with me,Subconciously everytime i used to hold the Cigarate i used to get the same feeling of having cough & smoky breaththnks to My hypnotherapist Joseph Giove he did a great Job with that....Anyways who cares as long as you are not smoking.Not smoking is such a drastic shock to your system, both physically and mentally, and it takes a lot out of you.Quitting is hard work and it can wear you out, but stay with it. Do whatever you can to take care of yourself like get extra rest, take vitamins, drink water, go for walks, etc. Everyone will tell you it gets better with time, and it does.  Keep up the good work!
9 years ago 0 13 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sounds like you had Hypnotherapy....Anyways who cares as long as you are not smoking.Not smoking is such a drastic shock to your system,
both physically and mentally, and it takes a lot out of you.Quitting is hard work and it can wear you out, but stay with it. Do whatever you can to take care of yourself like get extra rest,
take vitamins, drink water, go for walks, etc. Everyone will tell you it gets better with time, and it does.  Keep up the good work!
10 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Working on it, 

It is great to hear the benefits of being quit and the progress you've made in your journey. 

Viv, 

It is so great to hear everything you have to be thankful for. Thank you for sharing this with us. 

All the best to you both,

Samantha, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is interesting. This holiday that I am finishing in a couple of days had proved very interesting. A) I have been away a few times now and the desire to smoke has definitely less this time. B) I have stayed in a place with air conditioning that has resulted in me waking up with slightly swollen gland in my neck and a congested chest resulting in me wheezing and coughing each morning. Both these symptoms remind me of my former smoking days , and frightens me. What a relief when I wake up enough to regognise it's not through smoking. C) the final thing is spotting a woman or women smoking, I feel so glad that it's not me caught up in that trap. Yes I have a lot to be thankfully for. Its good to keep that demon suppressed ! Viv x
  • Quit Meter

$28,421.10

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 515 Hours: 11

Minutes: 21 Seconds: 47

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'll probably do the same as I did the last times. It's more about thinking through the whole smoking scenario to its end consequence: feeling gross and having to go through withdrawal again. Even if I were to totally pick up the habit again, I would be dealing with those cravings/ withdrawals every couple of hours, and I'd need to go smoke in order to relieve them.

So the calm feeling is not having to answer that call, I guess. Right now, I get to do whatever I want all day long without having to stop to feed the internal addict. It's nice.
  • Quit Meter

$22,541.55

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 13

Minutes: 31 Seconds: 29

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Working On it,

Good for you for getting through all those triggers! Sounds like it was quite a fight and the fight was well worth it.  How are you going to remind youself of the calm, rested feeling next time you run into a trigger?

Ashley, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Working On It  Yes we get those crazy triggers from time to time especially when something happens out of the ordinary that we haven't experienced as a non-smoker yet. By thinking it through to the end result is how we stay successful at this quitting business. That's what you did and that's why you continue to be successful. When something happens to me out of the ordinary I immediately reach for my top pocket for my smokes. Of course they aren't there but then I have to think it through to the end result and the reasons that I don't want to systematically kill myself by smoking today. Excellent for you for dealing with your triggers and not smoking today. breather 
10 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm not sure exactly why, but I've been getting triggered something fierce this month.

One of the episodes didn't even make any sense. I was in a place that I have never been before as a smoker, and there wasn't any smoking happening around me. All that I could figure was that I was hungry and bored at the time, and that used to be a smoking cue.

Then there was some emotional fallout at the beginning of last week. For about an hour, I got the old death wish back. It was that crazy train of thought that goes, "Who cares if it kills me, since everything is all ****ed up anyway?" I managed to talk myself through that one, reminding myself that these feelings pass, and that I'll be better off not holding a cigarette when they do pass.

Then there was the hour or so at a bar after a comedy show last Friday. My group of people was outside, so there was a lot of smoking going on. There were some "I only smoke when I drink" types, as well as some hard core addicts going at it. It kind of peaked for me when I saw some guy packing his smokes, and he was doing it the wrong way. (Yes, the old addict in me is also a control freak.  ) So I ended up grabbing this guy's pack and packing his cigarettes the way I felt it needed to be done.

I was worried about the idea of touching them at first. But dong that somehow relieved the tension I'd been having. Somewhere in that moment, I mentally went through the whole idea of smoking--what it would be like to have just one all the way to waking up feeling crappy the next day. The idea of feeling all coughy and stinky and going through nicotine withdrawals in the morning was not a pleasant one. That idea is what stopped me.

And the next day, I woke up feeling well rested, calm, and not smoky or coughy. I was really glad that I didn't give in to that impulse. In fact, I'm still glad now.  

• Quit Meter

$22,541.55

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 13

Minutes: 31 Seconds: 29

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: