Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,503 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr

My hell week Days 1-7

10 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I tried to post something yesterday and it didn't .  So anyway welcome back to SSC.  I remember you and I see you remember what to do.

I really enjoyed reading your first week.  I think you should print that off and keep it close just in case the monster tries (and he will) to have come over to the dark side.  I have printed off others' post and find them helpful.  Another thing I have done is search for some of my older posts.   After many failed attempts this one seems for feel right.  I am not longer trying to quit, I have become a NON-SMOKER!!

Good to see you back.

Keep the Quit
Sparky 
10 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Forcemac!!!

BRAVO!!!   Hell Week is over and Heck Week is here!  You are still going to have some battles, but yes, the nicotine is now out of your system and the only battles that remain for you are the mental ones!  Remember every time that a huge crave hits you what you learned going through the program.  The craves only last around 3 or 4 minutes and that you are Never going to lose another battle against your demon!  Why?  Because you want your freedom more than you want to smoke! NOPE!!!

Your day-by-day brought back memories!  I think that if you have a really huge craving in which you are about to do anything to find one to smoke all you need to do is come here and read what you wrote below!  I don't think that you would ever want to go through Hell Week again!  I know I didn't! 

Stick close and read and post!  It's a great distraction and along the way you are not only helping yourself get one up on the addiction, you are also helping your new quit buddies here on the Forums!

Keep on rewarding yourself daily!  Having something to look forward to at the end of the day for a job well done really helped me keep on the straight path toward freedom!  Yell if you need a hand, buddy!  We're all rooting for you!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,235.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1058 Hours: 17

Minutes: 17 Seconds: 29

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations Forcemac.

It sounds like you had a good first week with lots of learning. Sounds like you are doing all the right things, researching as much as you can, rewarding yourself and avoiding triggers. Keep it up! You'll be through Zombie month in no time.
Ashley, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi forcemac,

Congratulations on week 1 !  It looks like you are already discovering that it gets a little easier every day. I remember feeling just wacky for the first week or two, and I had tapered off a lot before I even got there. Sounds like you've done amazingly so far.

Just remember that you don't have to yell at your loved ones. You can always take some deep breaths or a walk to get away from what's stressing you. They will support your efforts even more if you spare them some of the pain. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,520.95

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 0

Minutes: 46 Seconds: 6

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 30 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just a quick update on how I made it through hell week. This is my 3rd major attempt to quit cigarettes for good.

Day 1: Smoked last cig at 10am, had one piece of 2mg nicorette gum at 1pm, then quit cold turkey. I was anxious, sweaty, light headed, dizzy, headache and had nausea the first night. Every time I got a craving I drank a pint of water and did deep breathing exercises outside, in through nose 4 seconds out through mouth 8 seconds (repeat 10 times)

Day 2: Called out of work sick. Mulled around the house, researched quitting smoking on the internet and completed my SSC program online. Cleaned the house. I felt dizzy, had headache, was anxious, sweaty, but nausea went away. Every time I had a craving, all of which were extreme, I drank a pint of water and did my deep breathing exercises. I was very short tempered and had uncontrollable outbursts

Day 3: Attempted to go to work. All I did was stare at my computer completely unfocused and useless. Too many triggers sent me outside for deep breathing exercises, so I took the rest of the day off and went back home to chill out and do my quitting research on the internet. Rewarded myself with cup cakes for desert for making it 72 hours, and was stoked that all of the nicotine was more or less out of my body

Day 4: Was able to complete a full day of work but was not completely able to focus 100%. Took soothing walks around a nearby nature trail every time a craving came. Was still feeling hyper, but all headaches and dizziness had gone away. Continued to have mean outbursts towards people I love, but would always apologize immediately after.

Day 5: Had crazy dreams past few night along with waking up randomly in the middle of the night. I woke up feeling a lot better and didn't have the morning craving I have been used to having day after day for years. Noticed that I could smell everything a lot better. I was able to come clean about my quit to my coworkers and they all were very supportive and said that they would ignore me if I started acting crazy. I rewarded myself with a pepperoni pizza for making it through the work week without a smoke. I really wanted to have a beer after work but didn't because I was afraid of triggering a craving.

Day 6: The weekend started with no morning craving for the second day in a row. I decided to clean out my car, with a full car detail. My car smelled so bad of trashy ashy cigarette smoke. While cleaning out my car I found a full unsmoked cigarette under my drivers seat. I held it in my hand for a while thinking about what I would do with it. I found a dirty paper towel that I used to wipe down my dash with and crumpled the cig in it making a fist crushing it with anger and threw it in the trash. That felt really good, and my car finally started smelling better. Cravings were far and few between, I don't even think I did deep breathing exercises. I finished the day with some detox tea and prepared for more crazy dreams.

Day 7: Wow I made it a week without a smoke! Lets go for one more week!

Reading this thread: