Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

this election

11 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sorry to hear about your Knee Working on it Hope you feel better soon!

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hehe. No, I am not going to try to engage anyone in a political debate here. I don't want us all falling off the wagon by the time we're done. 

Part of how I coped was just posting here. As I posted about it, some of the stress melted. For me, that is a helpful technique: Simply acknowledging that the stress/ trigger is there allows me to let some of it go. And there might be some redirection involved, since I get distracted by proofreading my posts. 

So, I also think that around the time I got done posting here, they were announcing some results.  So that ended some uncertainty, as well. 

Today has been much better, except for the fact that my knee is locked up and I can barely bear weight on it. That's not really a smoking stressor yet. Just a belly ache.  
  • Quit Meter

$22,541.55

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 12

Minutes: 19 Seconds: 2

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Workin'!!!

It's funny...  I was in the same shoes as you 4 years ago!  I do know what you are talking about and I think I did the same thing... took a nap!  It ended up being an all night nap and I found out the winner in the morning and pretty much said to myself, "Darned glad this is over for another 4 years!"    I'm just thankful that I'll be able to see some car commercials now instead of political ads!!! 

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,265.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 8

Minutes: 21 Seconds: 1

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Yes, you're right. Just stating the policy first just in case anyone wanted to get into a political debate about the election

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Religion and politics?  I only see Working On It mentioning the election as a stressor and in terms of it being a trigger.
Hi Working on it,

Yes, I think many people felt anxiety around last night's election. How did you manage to cope?

Just as a reminder - we tend to avoid discussing religion or politics on the SSC. Please share your experiences with the anxiety though

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sitting and watching the results of this election (down here in the US) is triggering the most frequent and intense urges to smoke that I've had in months. 

I ended up napping through yoga, so I didn't get that release.  

Sitting here, doing deep breathing and coming to terms with the idea that I may be doing some emotional eating tonight.  

I suspect the danger will have passed by the time anyone responds here.  Just needing to express. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,541.55

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 12

Minutes: 19 Seconds: 2

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: