Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Experiencing a lot of tension and anxiety

11 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Not sure if you are able,but the gun range probably rents firearms as well,it might do you some good to go give it a try.One of my favorite and most relaxing hobbys is target shooting/hunting.
11 years ago 0 32 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for your responses and support.  My therapist also has the same sense that I will be able to habituate to the noise.  I'm not as confident at this point.  I did end up giving in to one old habit and bought some beer, which I stopped when I stopped smoking so I wouldn't have my resistance undercut.  I only had a few over the evening.  It did relax me, but it was out of a feeling of desperation and impulse that I did that.  I would rather be able to handle things in a more healthy way.  I don't have have a problem with alcohol, but I would rather just confine drinking to when I go out to dinner.  

At least I didn't smoke which did feel like an alternative since I was very very stressed out by the end of the day.  I haven't felt such a strong urge before so I'm still a little worried.  I'm going to try something else.  I have nice noise cancellation ear phones so I'm going to put them on and try to get used to studying with music or radio in the background.  The shooting range is just too close and too loud to block it out.  I did do some work.  I worked on the computer and redid my resume without really thinking about the shooting while I was working.  So it is possible, but it's not going to happen overnight. 
11 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Island,

Sorry to hear about this; I can see how this would be very stressful and even a potential trigger. But, it sounds like you are a very strong and determined person so I have a hunch this problem will be very manageable for you. If anything, it may solidify your quit further - if you can get through this you can get through anything!

Practically speaking there are options; you could talk to your landlord, explain the situation and ask about switching units. You could also get something that will cancel out noise; an air purifier might create enough white noise to do this. You might also want to get a schedule from the shooting range so in the very least you will know when you should be expecting the noise.

Working on the anxiety around this will also be very helpful. If you can change your thought processes so that the sound doesn't elicite such negative conotations. You may want to check out www.paniccenter.net (our sister site) to learn some skills on managing the anxiety.

Thanks Hot SiO for the great advice. I think you are completely right, it might be hard to believe now but you will likely get used to the noise.

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Island,

First of all, congrats!  You have a great quit going right now, so don't even think about going back to those "old habits"!!!     Now that the move is behind you, there will be plenty of adventures ahead of you!   I'm sure with time and exposure to your new environment you will get used to the noise of the racket.  The same usually holds true for those who move to a place next to the railroad tracks or downtown in a large city with car horns blaring, etc.  In my shop, my oven "clicks" on and off every few minutes and it is LOUD and sort of bothersome in the beginning, but after a while, I didn't even notice it!   As a last resort, you might  inquire if there is a possibility of moving to a different apartment in the complex when one opens up!  Hope this helps!

Jim

• Quit Meter

$44,220.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1058 Hours: 8

Minutes: 27 Seconds: 11

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 32 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The problem isn't due to my quit, but the fact that I just moved to a new city, and the apartment has a shooting range across the street that they of course didn't mention before I signed the lease.  The apartment is really nice so many days it isn't a problem, but on the days that they are shooting, I tense up and can't do anything.  I have a few traumatic associations with gun fire so it's not surprising that it's bothering me so much.

I tried playing music and ear plugs, but they don't really help that much.  So I'm trying just pure exposure, letting myself hear it so I can absorb the shock and get used to it.  Still it's making me a bit crazy.  And when I get triggered psychologically, then I start worrying about whether I might go back to old habits.

I've thought about going to a cafe or something, but it's hard for me to study.  Plus my books are large and heavy.  I don't think it would work out.   School has a few weeks before it starts so I still have time to figure this out.  

Any suggestions? 

Reading this thread: