Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,461 Members

Please welcome our newest members: splumley, Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA

Gimme some reasons

11 years ago 0 22 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Working,

I really do understand what you mean when those cravings get so bad that its all you can seem to thing about. I have had a few days were I just havent been able to shake the craving. But what I have learned it is just that addiction talking to you telling you its ok to have just one. I have also been tempted a few times to smoke just one. What I have found most helpfull to me is this website, I will spend time here just reading on how other people have dealt with there cravings. I think I have spent hours just sitting here reading, it seems to take my mind off of what I am going through. I also chew gum and eat alot of icecubes . Do whatever you need to do not to give into that craving. They will in time get easier for us.
We all deserve to breath fresh clean air.

Jenny

11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you. These responses have been helpful in getting me through the past day. I'm still nicotine free, as of now. 

• Quit Meter

$22,479.75

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 600 Hours: 21

Minutes: 33 Seconds: 58

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Workin'!!!

You DESERVE this!  You have put in a lot of time and effort so far... much longer than the two weeks of freedom you have attained to date!  You deserve 3 weeks of freedom, then 4 weeks and then a month of freedom!  It would be so NOT worth it to smoke again and give the demon one more strangle-hold on your life!

You did NOT die winning that battle last night and you will not die if you continue to not smoke for one more day!  If you do cave in and smoke, a little part of you WILL die inside and all the time you have put into your success so far will be flushed down the drain!  DO NOT SMOKE EVEN ONE MORE CIGARETTE!

Breath deep, sit in front of this screen and read and continue to learn ways to beat this addiction!  All the tools you need to succeed are right here and right there between your ears!  Your physical dependency on nicotine it well removed from your body, the mental game is now!  You have to be mentally stronger than your demon!  When the going gets tough, your strength and resolve has to kick in and fight, fight, fight!!!  Keep telling yourself the you DO want this quit more than ANYTHING and PROMISE yourself that you will be strong and never let the demon win even one more battle!  

You are the reason!  There are no others! CRAVE FREEDOM!  Get over that crave and reward yourself!  That's the way to get this done!  NOPE!!!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,175.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1057 Hours: 5

Minutes: 49 Seconds: 19

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Working on it!

Kind of like a crave basket!

Make your list..minimize it, laminate it....put it your wallet or in your car, at your desk!

Make a crave basket or bag and keep one everywhere!

CD, Ipod music, gum, books on tape and candy for the car
Magazines, crosswords, sudoku for your breaks at work
Weights, water, music and runners for a relaxing walk at home

If you have it ready, you will use it!

Josie, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Working On It There are lots of good reasons not to pick up that cigarette. First of all you have a hard earned couple of weeks behind you as a non-smoker and if you smoke that all goes down the drain. I may or may not get cancer but now that I haven't smoked for a while I'm not willing to take that chance. If I don't smoke my teeth will be white and I'll smell good whereas if I smoke I'll smell like an ashtray. If I don't smoke I won't have to go through the terrible sick early days of withdrawal ever again. When I don't smoke I can breathe better and never hardly cough. I'm not willing to give up my health for a lousy cigarette and deserve to live a healthy life free from added complications. I don't want to have to use puffers to breathe or end up carrying an oxygen bottle around with me. Tell yourself that whatever happens today that I won't smoke. Tell yourself that it's a good day today because I didn't smoke. Remember to H.A.L.T. You've come this far and you can go farther. Reward and be kind to yourself. Excellent for you. breather
11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I need a list of powerful and creative reasons to not pick up another cigarette. The week has been mostly OK, in terms of cravings. But I've had a couple of intense rounds today in which I felt I just couldn't shake it. While sitting in my car today, I was actually planning to smoke upon returning home. Not sure how that was going to work, since I've already given all my cigarettes away.  But I did have it planned without question in my mind for a few minutes. Then I caught myself. It got really intense again tonight. I went out walking for about 1/2 hour to relieve some tension, release some endorphins, etc. Doing a little better now, but still obsessing in the background. 

So I'm looking for another list of reasons to not smoke. I know what mine are, but those arguments are getting a little frayed in my internal debates. I'm looking for things that other people say to themselves, just to build up the arsenal a bit.  
  • Quit Meter

$22,479.75

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 600 Hours: 21

Minutes: 33 Seconds: 58

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: