Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,518 Members

Please welcome our newest members: FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12

Hard Day

12 years ago 0 28 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi jennydls,
There are a lot of ups and downs while quitting smoking.  For the long cravings, I would take a very long, hot shower whenever possible or get very physically active.  I would go for walks that were running for most people and I had to work up a dripping sweat before I'd feel better.  What you're experiencing is very temporary, it will get easier and there will come a day where you can't even imagine yourself smoking!
Take care,
Jennifer :) 
12 years ago 0 206 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
In my own experience, the first few days were actually pretty easy, compared to what followed.  Someone once observed that the first few days are filled with excitement and congratulations and all kinds of newness... then it begins to wear off, and the day-to-day battle begins.
Having lost that battle more times than I can count, I can attest to the power of preparation:  in my case, it's knowing that dark days are ahead (for me, at least), and being prepared for them with this site's emergency plan, with a physical, hand-written list that lives in my pocket of all the things I promised myself to do instead of smoking, and another list of my reasons for quitting.
If I had the mechanical wherewithal, I would replace every clock in my house with a quit meter, so the minutes of success are always before me.

Hang in, and keep on fighting!
--peteg
12 years ago 0 792 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
a cut and paste qoute.
12 years ago 0 792 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
While the first few days may feel like an emotional train wreck, beyond them, with each passing day the challenges grow fewer, generally less intense and shorter in duration. Recovery leads to a calm and quiet mind where addiction chatter and wanting gradually fade into rarity, where the ex-user begins going days, weeks or even months without once wanting for nicotine
12 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Thanks for the advice and support, it has been very helpful.  Today has been alot better day. My cravings havent been as hard to deal with.  All though I do know I am not out of the woods yet. But I will make it.
12 years ago 0 55 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jennydls:
Hi I am not to my full month of SMOKE FREE Yet...but I can tell you that my cravings were worst till day 5.  Then I would just say out loud to anyone around me..."LOOK AT THE CLOCK TILL I STAY STOP!"  LOL that was how long I found out my craves actually lasted.  Sure there were different times I craved it...but now I don't crave them at all.  Well let me rephrase that...there are times that are stressful or other times when I THINK i need a cigarette...and on those times I count to myself now...I am finally at the point of 5 seconds max.  Just get through the cravings and you will know you have this beat!    

Ashley..Hope this helps others on how I deal with the cravings...COUNT IT OUT LOUD....then when it passes get ICE WATER......and It is all gone..

Debby 
I know its very early in my quit and understand I have more hard times ahead.  And hell week I do know its the hardest, it will get easier and each day goes by.  I just dont want to have this little deamon control my life anymore.  I know I can do it, I just need to stay strong.  Which I know there will be times were I want to give in.  But this is it, I will not smoke today, tomorrow or ever.  Its my time to quit.
This site really does help, I enjoy reading all the posts and they are very helpful.

Thanks Jenny
12 years ago 0 410 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Jennydls!
I can only speak from my experience and on day 3 (and for some time to come) all I could think about was not smoking. The key for me this quit was the new positive  attitude I brought to fight this miserable demon. I'm tired of the hold this addiction had over me! I'm a free bird these days, flying right along with the growing number of non-smokers! You are doing great! You are almost half way through the very worst (hell week) you're going to face!
Stick with us!
You can do this! Promise!
Cameless
12 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jennydls,

Sorry to hear you had a hard day.  Remember that this will pass; right now you have to fight through it.  You may want to talk to you doctor or pharmacist about a different NRT or othe assistance with the cravings. 

In regards to cravings, there is no "normal".  Members, how long have you experienced cravings for?  How did you cope with long ones?
Ashley, Health Educator
Wow was today ever a hard day, it didnt matter what I did it just wouldnt leave me alone.  I thought being on the patch was suppose to make this easier, cause it really doesnt seem like it is.  Oh well at least I made it through the day.
What I was wondering people say a craving only lasts a few minutes, but mine haunted me all afternoon today. Is this normal?

Reading this thread: