Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Does The Patch Really Help

15 years ago 0 377 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I guess the message I get from everyone's responses is do what you think works with your situation. For me I had bought the patches in the past and had used them just to get through situations like plane flights and other half A quits and so I had never used them correctly to really quit smoking for good.  So because of that I had a negative association with them.  I also felt cravings during the times I would use them and I used to love pulling them off and lighting up which was a no no. So I came to my own belief that I might as well go Cold Turkey to just give up the stinkin habit.  I knew it would be difficult especially at the beginning so I really did a lot of exercise, drinking water, and sleeping to get through the worst of it, but I've lasted 9+ months knock on wood. Ron
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/17/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 292
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 5,256
Amount Saved: $1,576.80
Life Gained:
Days: 45 Hrs: 0 Mins: 16 Seconds: 20

15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am a patch quitter and think they are the best thing ever invented! I put mine on day one and never ever wanted another cigarette....BUT, like HP says, I really do believe its because I believed and I so wanted them to work, I so wanted to be free of this awful addiction and habit. For me they were the magic bullet, this was my first quit, after 37 years and almost 2 packs a day. Its a combination thing, the patch plus PMA.
Whatever works for you is right.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 330
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 8,250
Amount Saved: $4,950.00
Life Gained:
Days: 38 Hrs: 23 Mins: 10 Seconds: 14

15 years ago 0 363 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

My last two quits have been cold turkey, my first quit lasted 6 months, I had it all but kicked and in one weak moment it was all over. This time, I'll know better. The reason for cold turkey over the patch for me personally is that I don't want to replace one form of nicotine for another, because I feel like my quit is just starting when I finally get off of the patches 6 or 8 weeks later, or how ever long it is you have to be on them. Just my opinion, any quit is a good quit, as long as your not smoking.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 4
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 160
Amount Saved: $48.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 15 Mins: 37 Seconds: 16

• Quit Meter

$37,571.63

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 988 Hours: 3

Minutes: 39 Seconds: 38

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 433 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Rick! 

I used the patch with success. 
Last quit, I used the patch without success. 

The difference was probably the mental attitude. Previous quit I felt deprived, this quit I felt FREE.

It's soooo individual.  Slowing easing off the nicotine was a better choice for me, no matter how long it took.  The advantage to the patch is that it taught me to overcome the habits (lighting up in the car,  first thing in the morning, after a meal etc) and then overcome the nicotine, instead of all at once.  Each step down was a couple of days of unease rather than craves.   I stayed on them a couple of weeks longer than the Nicoderm plan but worth it. I was elated to finally be done with them.

If you decide on the patches, check the nicotine grams. I was a pack a day smoker but step one was way too much nicotine for me!  I had been smoking lights which was 14mg per day on my brand.  The step one patch was overload, perhaps designed for regular cigarettes.  They really should mention this on the patch box as not all cigs are equal.  Other members reported the same thing. So just monitor yourself.

The bottom line is what others here have said.. whatever works, works.  
Everyone has to find their own method but it's the underlying resolve that can make any method work.

Glad to see you again! 
best,
HP

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/1/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 368
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 8,832
Amount Saved: $2,119.68
Life Gained:
Days: 48 Hrs: 7 Mins: 50 Seconds: 45

15 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I did cold turkey because I wanted the nicotine out of my system first and foremost.  I have tried to quit using the patch in the past, and felt like my withdraws just were too strong and lasted for weeks!  This (last) quit I am doing really well with cold turkey.  After about 72 hours the nicotine was out of my system and the mental kicking butt began.  For me it is a whole lot easier to fight the habit with out the withdraw symptoms too.   Whatever way you choose you can do it!!!  NOT smoking is so empowering!!     Good Luck... Good Quit!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/25/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 10
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 200
Amount Saved: $50.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 16 Mins: 50 Seconds: 50

15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rick,

What a great question!

You have already received some great advice from others here. Hopefully you have found it useful!

Members, what has your experience been with the patch? How did you find it helpful during your quit?

Keep us posted on how things are going for you Rick. Good luck!

Sarah, Health Educator
  • Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rick,

It's really an individual thing. Some swear by the patch and good luck to them, others like me think it is just a money-spinning con and completely unnecessary. (How did people quit smoking before the patch was invented?)

Your choice - good luck!

Penitent

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/18/2004
Smoke-Free Days: 1782
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 44,550
Amount Saved: �11,137.50
Life Gained:
Days: 301 Hrs: 19 Mins: 44 Seconds: 23

• Quit Meter

$56,738.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1123 Hours: 18

Minutes: 35 Seconds: 16

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 639 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rick,  there is no magic bullet.  For some folks the patch is great, for others it creates challenges.

Honestly, it takes getting mad enough at your addiction to DO WHATEVER IT TAKES to gain control of the nico-demon to get your LIFE back.  Then with a focused energy, to develop and work the plan to beat and break the habit of smoking.

Your plan may include patches, herbs, pills, cold turkey, etc.  If money is the concern, think of the expense of patches or pills as  'paying it forward'.  One month of not buying smokes will makeup any costs.

You ask lots of great questions.  The group will support and help you through.  You, however, have to do the heavy lifting. 

You can do this.  We are living proof.

Keep on your Quit!!!!!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/19/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 75
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,250
Amount Saved: $618.75
Life Gained:
Days: 12 Hrs: 6 Mins: 5 Seconds: 56

• Quit Meter

$50,443.97

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1123 Hours: 18

Minutes: 16 Seconds: 11

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Does the patch really help or is it a waste of money?
Whats the best thing to try?

Reading this thread: