Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Starting Day 4

15 years ago 0 289 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Crik   hang in there you are almost through Hell Week......Congratulations......when I wanted that "just 1 ciggarette" I kept telling myself if that 1 would taste so good now then another day just 1 would taste good again and soon I'd be back to 2 packs a day it's kept me from giving in to that "just 1"

Lisa

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/30/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 80
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,200
Amount Saved: $352.00
Life Gained:
Days: 8 Hrs: 18 Mins: 39 Seconds: 19

15 years ago 0 855 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 Hi Crik, there is lots of hope, you can do this, its we use to do everything while we smoked, now we try to do everthing without smoking and we have to retrain our brain, i remember i was so lost without my smokes, but with one hour at a time, and a few years later, i think wow what a journey that was, you will get this done, i know how strange it is but hang tough . The depression i had really bad, i really hope you make this quit, its just an awful habit and you will feel real good about your self when you are quit, Smoking is Nasty and it stinks and if you plan to live a long time you need to make the best of your old age and not carry and Oxygen tank along with you, there is alot of reasons to stay free, and NO reasons to smoke :)  Tresa
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/8/2002
Smoke-Free Days: 2141
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 51,384
Amount Saved: $8,992.20
Life Gained:
Days: 306 Hrs: 1 Mins: 16 Seconds: 36

15 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is Day 5 for you, Crik,  and the nicotine is gone from your system and the withdrawal symptoms are done with!! Now you have to stay focused (I like to repeat myself!) on the Quit to deal with the psychological addiction - that "automatic" response we have to stress and emotions of all kinds -  btw, are you depressed because of the strain of the quit or do you suffer from clinical depression? The sister site...The DepressionCenter.net - is a great help...

--  watch those cravings and treat them with the contempt that, naturally, you have in reserve (nobody ever thought when we started smoking that cigarettes were going to be a healthy additive to one's life!)

Patrick

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/18/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 152
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,800
Amount Saved: $1,710.00
Life Gained:
Days: 28 Hrs: 6 Mins: 11 Seconds: 24

15 years ago 0 763 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Excellent work, Crik!  You're nearly through the first week.  I think I smoked when I was happy, sad, up, down.  I ALWAYS had an excuse for a cigarette!  That's what smoking is.  That's what it does to us.  For now, stay close by, and like Moss says, be kind to yourself, and do what you have to do to get through the day.  Have your coping tools in place.  Drink water, nap, walk,...etc.  And like I've said here many times before, CSI and Law and Order were(and still are) two of my biggest coping tools.  Sure kept me occupied.  Hang on, it really DOES get easier with each passing day.  You're doing great.

Cheers,

Jan

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/27/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 142
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,550
Amount Saved: $1,171.50
Life Gained:
Days: 16 Hrs: 5 Mins: 26 Seconds: 47

15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Crik- good for you getting to day 4- so pleased for you.
I understand all your sentiments about smoking, to feel relaxed to have fun etc, but I once read somewhere that  a smoker smokes to feel how a non-smoker feels all the time- think about it, its true what Rusty said, smoking only makes us feel calm and relaxed because it has quashed the craving. In time we start to feel anxious and agitated and needing to get the next cigarette- non-smokers never have that.
And Crik, that non-smoker is now you, four days down is so good, any ex-smoker will agree with that, heck I thought four hours was brilliant for me!!
Keep it up Crik and holler if you need help.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 38
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 950
Amount Saved: $570.00
Life Gained:
Days: 4 Hrs: 12 Mins: 55 Seconds: 30

15 years ago 0 136 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I forgot to say GREAT JOB on getting to Day 4! 

Rusty

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/13/2004
Smoke-Free Days: 1282
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 65,382
Amount Saved: $14,710.95
Life Gained:
Days: 114 Hrs: 9 Mins: 25 Seconds: 11

15 years ago 0 136 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
"I smoke to celebrate, to have fun (crazy I know)."

Yeah, that is crazy, but that's what we all thought. "Gee, smoking is fun. Gee, smoking relaxes me. Gee, smoking takes the edge off."  And if we carry that further, we realize that smoking is only pleasurable because it cures that crave that started right after we put out the last one.  How about a new way to celebrate, one that doesn't kill us?

Rusty

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/13/2004
Smoke-Free Days: 1282
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 65,382
Amount Saved: $14,710.95
Life Gained:
Days: 114 Hrs: 9 Mins: 25 Seconds: 2

15 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hang in there crik,

Keep your focus on yourself and your quit. If you havn't already, get started on the program for great education and tools essential in a successful quit. We're here for you, so please come post and read as much as you'd like.

Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 649 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Crik

I also found that later on is when the real challenges started.  There will be good and bad days.  Try to be kind to yourself and do what you need to get through the day.  Good Luck to you and stay close here for support.

Moss

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/19/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 211
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,165
Amount Saved: $712.13
Life Gained:
Days: 33 Hrs: 23 Mins: 17 Seconds: 22

15 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you so much everyone. I feel small surges of hope ..like maybe this is the time I will do it.  Llama is right.  I need to keep my focus on it.  Because the first days are not so hard I don't put enough effort into it and then when the big urge comes I haven't enough resources. I smoke to celebrate, to have fun (crazy I know).  Right now I'm so depressed that if I lit up I would probably shoot myself. Its a hard fight o function right now.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/14/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 3
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 30
Amount Saved: $7.50
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 11 Mins: 57 Seconds: 57

Reading this thread: