Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Still have cravings only last for about 5 seconds

16 years ago 0 541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the positive feedback. One last thought. We need to understand the difference between a craving and a memory trigger. The other day I walked into the kitchen opened the draw looking for my lighter. Stopped, laughed at myself cause I forgot I quit. The night before I woke up and thought I had a cigarette the previous day. That was the day we went into the smoky oyster bar. My wife said that happened to her as well. I know the chantix is kickin out my cravings so what I am experiencing is obviously only memories. Memories that I now need to re-create as a non-smoker. By the way, it was not JUST my Doctor who convinced me to quit smoking but a combination of my Mother, my sister, my Dentist, my Co-workers, my friends, my wife but most importantly MYSELF after a 401K retirement calculator told me I would only live to 65 due to my family history and lifestyle! We don't see the damage from our insides but when my dentist showed me how the cigarettes are destroying my teeth and gums and how even with regular flossing I could start loosing teeth in a few years woke me up. BTW, if you want to see some really gross stuff check out Youtube and search for quit smoking. Some of the videos are intense. If you are in craving mode and need something to scare the living bejesus out of you, there is quite a bit there. One was a commercial done in Australia where it talks about all the gunk that congeals in our arteries and looks disgusting. My last comment, I was kind of amused over how many were concerned over possible side affects or long-term problems with Chantix. Now that we are non-smokers we are now concerned over our health. Isn�t that great! I don�t recall ever reading the �Nutrition� label on my cigarette packs. :) Thanks again for everyone's support. Can't wait to call my mom tomorrow and give her the best mothers day present a son could give. Telling her I quit smoking and proud of it!
16 years ago 0 519 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
John I gotta say I N V U. After 100 plus days before I even open my eyes in the morning, I'm thinking about a cigarette and wishing I could have one. I guess you could call it a crave. It's there. I keep waiting for it to go away.
16 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I couldn't agree with you more John. The sooner you confront those trigger situations, the sooner you deal with the cravings and move on in life. That is why I always challenge the alcohol advice of staying away, you got to face it some time unless you go teetotal. Deal with it early and prevent it troubling you later. Oh and Mark, I'm with you, what's a craving? Boy it not only gets easier, it gets really easy!!! Don't even have any triggers any more - job done!! Penitent :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/18/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1089 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 21,785 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �5445 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 177 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
  • Quit Meter

$56,716.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1123 Hours: 6

Minutes: 53 Seconds: 7

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ready for the good news? After a couple of years I dont get cravings at all. The thought of even taking a puff now, makes it me sick to think about it. It gets easier. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/4/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 767 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 15,358 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $5369 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 108 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
  • Quit Meter

$163,461.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 8458 Hours: 0

Minutes: 20 Seconds: 51

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 848 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi John. I like your attitude - it bodes well for success. I personally think there is a lot to be said for acknowledging the craving and then just moving on because you just don't smoke anymore. It's worked great for me. By the way, I'm also on Chantix and agree that we need to retrain our brains while we have that safety net. Another way to do that is lots of research/reading. Learn about how the addiction worked and what it did to your brain and body, learn how the tobacco companies tricked us all into getting more addicted, etc... Great job on those 8 days! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/29/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 43 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 527 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $175.44 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
  • Quit Meter

$119,531.30

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6400 Hours: 20

Minutes: 55 Seconds: 7

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
John, Your doing a good job. See the cravings for what they are. They are JUST cravings. Not smoking doesn't mean you don't drink coffee...sit on your porch...eat food in resturants or anything else. Simply put....you give up NOTHING in you life...but cigarettes. If you feel otherwise it is the addiction telling you a lie. Keep that positive attitude....and please be sure you have some technique in place just incase you do get a really bad craving. Mercy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 110 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,216 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $491.7 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi John I think you're definitely going about it in the right way...preparing for triggers you anticipate. I bumped up a thread for you, which talks about associations with smoking. It's in Preventing Relapse and Slipping, called This is Why You think About Smoking So Much..or something like that....lol Congrats on your quit so far!!! You're doing great!!!! -aloha [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 50 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,032 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $340 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
John_in_NC, Kudos to you! This is a great strategy provided you have an emergency coping plan should things go south but sounds like so far you're doing well! Keep persevering! Danielle _____________________ The SSC Support Team
16 years ago 0 28 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Let's see, you are a little over a week into your quit. Congrats on that. You might be tempting faith a little, but you are correct about some of the triggers. You have to learn to enjoy them without a cig. I don't know when that should begin. I would just warn of being careful--you are still in a weak spot. Chantix did great things for me. I am a firm believer, but try not to tempt too much. Stay strong... Whenever we get cocky, the nicodemon will jump in with thoughts of "I am doing so well, I bet I can have just one cig and quit". Keep those thoughts at bay......... Good luck
16 years ago 0 541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am on chantix, still have cravings from time to time but they are very short lived, only lasting about 3 seconds or so. One thing I am trying to do in spite of what was said is to try and "re-associate" certain past experiences to now not include cigarettes. On day 2 of my journey they said to stay away from things that trigger your desire for a cigarette. Well, without my morning coffee I was like a zombie at work. So off I went to the break room to get my morning cup and yes, as I expected, I had a craving. I acknowledged it said to myself, just as I expected, and kept drinking it. Now, 5 days later coffee does not cause the cravings nearly as bad as before. I went out to the front porch where I used to smoke (now with ash trays removed) and sat down and watched the kids in the neighborhood play. I remembered how I used to smoke there but took a few deep breaths and then went back inside. Cravings? Yes, but very easily controlled. When we were at Myrtle beach the other day my wife and I went into a raw bar, the place was one big smoking section. Talking about putting our cravings to a test!! I had one beer and she had a wine. After devouring some oysters we left. Cravings? Surprising enough not as bad as I originally expected. I laughed and said how come when we were smoking we could never find a place like this. Now that we quit there is isn't a "Non-Smoking" section! :) I figure by re-training my way of thought into re-experiencing things I did as a smoker it will help reduce my cravings when I go off of the chantix. Supposed it could be dangerous but for me so far I have had no problems keeping cravings at bay. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/3/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 209 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $28 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45

Reading this thread: