Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Valentine Storm is a Trigger

17 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks everyone!! I got thru it. It wasn't one of my best days...but the day passed...(along with the walk) and I didn't smoke. Today is a new fresh day and I feel better than yesterday. As for the walk...it was so pretty. There is hundreds of acres of forever wild behind the house with lots of trails that lead to the cliffs of the bay. It is very pretty and all the seasons have it's own beauty. Yes.. I do believe in that advise that you need to experience everything without smoking...and that takes time. You need time on your side. Thanks again Mercy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 25 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 508 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $111.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
17 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Everyone, I have a day off from work today!! Please don't laugh... but even after not smoking over three weeks...the storm is a trigger!!!!! I know I won't smoke...but I wanted to enjoy the snowy day and somehow I associate it with coffee and cigarettes. So I feel sluggish. I am a type A personality..and it is past NOON..and I am still in my pajamas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WEll... I'm going to put my sweats and venture down a trail behind my house with my dog and see the pretty snow. I sure hope that perks me up. I will also read two inspirational things that keep me going, Am I the only one that finds a snow storm a trigger???? One of my failed attempts happend when they predicted severe thunderstorms this summer. I had quit for about 5 days and like someone hypnotized...I got into my car...went to the corner store..bought cigarettes..and drove home. It was like I was in some trance...or outta body experience. I just did it. I couldn't see enjoying and old fashioned thunder storm without smoking. Then the twist was, I didn't enjoy smoking that night listening to the rain and thunder as I felt soooo quilty. I'll use that memory to learn I can enjoy being cozy in the house without cigaretts. Gosh..... how crazy this habit is. Someone who has never smoked must think we are nuts. Mercy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 24 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 490 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $107.28 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
17 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm having trouble understanding this site and how the different forums are organized. Furthermore I get a message about a reply in my email which then takes me to the site and the reply. That's very good but then when I log in, the message is gone and I need to go to the main board. Anyway some people have asked about me and I thank you very much for your support and concern. I'm doing well; it's day 3; I've experienced cravings but have worked through them so far. Good luck to all --- Merry Valentines Day [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/12/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 65 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $14 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
  • Quit Meter

$289,514.25

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9767 Hours: 20

Minutes: 39 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mercy, go into the general discussion forum and take a look at the Gratitude Posts... may inspire you just a little about this cold beautiful day we are having, and how cozy you really are auntdeb [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 44 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,227 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $209 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
17 years ago 0 243 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My stop smoking counsellor (who has helped a LOT of ex smokers so has seen all the patterns many times) says we have to get through a full cycle of seasons (i.e. a year) so that we have lived through all triggers without a smoke. Because some might stop in the winter and think they're doing fine. Then summer comes and they want to sit out at the table enjoying the evening sun with their smokes. Or somebody stops in summer and they're fine. but then come the storms and they want to enjoy the cold lovely quiet with their....... You get the picture! It gets a lot easier very soon I promise you. then according to my wise lady, it's a case of hanging on, by the fingertips if necessary, until you've been through it all at least once. when your confidence will soar and you will truly feel you've made it. Hope you managed to get some enjoyment from that day at home anyway. S x [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/10/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 66 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,333 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �396 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
17 years ago 0 519 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
We don't get snow, but we do get rain and when it rains the first thing I would think of is "do I have cigarettes enough so I don't have to run out in the rain" and that's the trigger! Maybe the same for you. It's the addiction protecting itself. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/27/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 18 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 558 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $180 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
17 years ago 0 682 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Mercy.... I am envious of your walk in the snow with your dog! Ok, if I am honest I hate cold and I hate snow! I think there are very few things prettier than snow but I will watch through your eyes ok? Isn't it easier to breathe in that cold air with out a smoke chaser???? Tell me about your walk! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 20 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 411 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $82.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Turn that trigger into a day of luxury and relaxation! Go for that hike, prepare a special dinner, grab some movies, magazine and use this as your relax day. You have the day off so make the most of it and make it about you :) Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: