Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Smile....and don't shoot the messenger

Timbo637

2024-09-27 3:17 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Site seems a little faster

Timbo637

2024-09-05 4:43 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

What are negative core beliefs?

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-07-17 7:35 PM

Depression Community

logo

Creating a stress plan

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-07-08 4:16 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.765 posts in 47.065 threads.

161,138 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Petra23, Mimi34, istruggle4life, schcgtest1, FeelingD0wn

Coping with the Cravedigger

18 years ago 0 1070 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have to immediatly do something or I will want to smoke and bad! For now the hard candy/gum/sunflower seeds..etc are helping. Thanks for the suggestions
18 years ago 0 547 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The "Cravedigger" is Nicodemon's brother and he is nonetheless charming than Nic himself. He will get you "stuck" in thinking about that puff. Well, I have done a few of these things to get rid of the 'cravedigger' in me and so far it has worked, but they may not work for everyone...I am in hopes this will inspire you to try different things if these do not work for you: As soon as you get that thought, -PUT SOMETHING IN YOUR MOUTH. Whether it be hard candy, licorice, a mint, a cracker, a peanut, something to get your mouth busy. -Sing or say stuff out loud. It is a fact that singing alters your emotion and brings good feelings up! Saying riddles or tongue twisters will make you start feeling silly and start laughing out loud, and when you get that rush of adrenaline laughter you will forget whatever you were thinking about. You feel GOOD and that's what you want. -Get up OR sit down and grab something to fiddle with in your hands. Go out to the garden and pull weeds, water the plants, give the indoor plants water, tend to things that need your attention. Clean something. Grab sponge and just go over the kitchen table, even if it doesn't 'need' cleaning. Get up run outside and just breath and smell the air. INHALE IT DEEPLY. And then take time to smell some roses!! Move a muscle, CHANGE a thought. (This one was compliments of my mom, her AA program does that) -Get on the computer and come to SSC. There are always folks here who are feeling these things too and will always be able to offer support and encouragement. WHAT A TEAM! -Take deep breaths knowing that every breath you take is more life you inhale, and keep moving on with your life and what you were doing before the 'cravedigger' started in with his nasty thoughts! -Experiement with things you enjoy that you know will take your mind off the thoughts. We can lick this addiction for good! Many Blessings, Eve :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 9 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 76 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $27 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
18 years ago 0 852 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Eve!! Thank you for your post. It is always good to get new ideas! For me, I personally, take the Demon head on. My mind works differently. When I have a crave, if I were to put a straw or licorice in my mouth and pretend to smoke, I will never get over the feeling of having to put something in my mouth. My hands go for that as well. Although, typing is a wonderful replacement!! Anyhow, this approach is not for everyone. It is for me. I feel like I have to get over the hand-mouth addiction as well, so pretending to smoke will just prolong it. Keep up the great work! I really enjoy reading your posts!! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 43 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,304 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $140.61 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
18 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Eve, You are on a roll today! This is amazing and so true. We can all learn from one another and our own views and opinions regarding this addiction. Keep Strong, Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: