Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Is switching to e-cig considered stopping smoking

9 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
In terms of definition smoking is a result of combustion as is using tobacco. Vaporizing is a transition from fluid to vapor like water being heated and evaporated off a lake to produce mist or rain. I consider e-cigs to be non-smoking. There are things to consider when choosing to use e-cigs over a nicotine patch. Vaping will still cause inflammation in the lungs for a period of time. Vaporizing also produces particles much much smaller than particles you would inhale from smoking tobacco. This lets the particles get deeper into the lung. Its still controversial if this deeper penetration can cause people who already have respiratory infections to see worsening in their condition. You also have to think about the bad manufactures who make vapor fluids. A lot of vape shops might mix their own special blends in unsanitary conditions. They might buy low-grade materials to make their fluids. There have already been studies that find traces of heavy metals in vapor fluids and nicotine content per milliliter that exceeds or falls below advertised amount. Although a tobacco cigarette has thousands of carcinogens, and you might be thinking a vapor fluid might contain three chemicals, if your fluid contains toxic heavy metals and your vaporizing them thats sending them farther into your lung due to particle size from vaporizing compared to smoking.

Any fluid that I've bought that ended up containing heavy metals gave me lock jaw. I now buy my fluids in bulk and send samples to laboratories to have them tested for heavy metals. I don't buy any fluids that were made in china, or made up of any individual chemicals produced out of china. China still likes to produce toxic chemicals and sell them without care due to the profit/greed.

9 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Gem,

It really does not matter what any site or anyone thinks about 'vaping'.  If you find it has helped and you have greatly reduced your nicotine levels, well done! 

In Europe, they have begun advertising them on TV.  I have a problem with this, as it could encourage young people to use them, and it could lead to smoking regular cigs.

You appear to have made an improvement in your health early enough to make a difference to the rest of your life!

Love Lolly.    
9 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Gem1204,

At the SSC you get to decide what your goals are and what works for you. If you search the forums for e-cigerettes you will see a lot of information on them. They are a controversial product that some consider to be a great harm reduction tool and others feel they may be harmful to your health and reinforce the smoking habit.

Either way, congrats on the improvements to your health!

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I quit smoking after bout 48 years on Aug 12 2013 after finding out I had emphysema or I guess I should say I switched to vaping. I have been seeing my pulmonologist about every 6 months about my emphysema. He said I had stage 1 emphysema which he said is mild. My oxygen levels are higher and some of the numbers on my pft have improved slightly. No one can prove that vaping or stopping smoking is the reason for the improvement but what can be a very good indications is that "After vaping for 16 months "THERE HAS BEEN NO ADVERSVE EFFECT FROM VAPING - IN FACT WHEN CONSIDERING THE FACT THAT I ALSO HAD QUIT SMOKING THERE WAS ACTUALLY A SLIGHT IMPROVEMENT IN SOME AREAS!!!!!!! I don't think my doctor endorses my vaping but he's glad I quit smoking. I keep hearing new stories about how vaping juice has all kinds of harmful chemicals as well as nicotine. Well I go to a vape store where I actually watch them mix if for me. It as propolene glycol, vegetable glycerin (all food additives), flavoring and nicotine which you can vary. I started out with a mix containing 24MG per 30 ml and now I'm down to 6 mg per 30 ml. the last time I took my pft I was talking to the therapist giving me the test and I told her I was vaping instead of smoking. She said "Well I don't consider vaping as 'Stopped' smoking. what is the official ruling on that as far as this site goes? Is switching to vaping considered "quit smoking."

Reading this thread: