Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,513 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

New information on e-cigarettes

9 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Anytime I see an article that says "Studies have shown..." or "don't have enough evidence but ..." I wad it up and throw it in the trash. Smoking is as much or more a political issue as well as a health issue. If too many people stop smoking or switch to e-cigs think of the money lost by tobacco companies not to mention the amount of taxes lost. Why do you think there's talk of regulating e-cigarettes? Taxes. The so called tax on tobacco is supposed to discourage people from smoking but they turn around and use that tax money when coming up with a budget. Why would you base a budget on a tax when you "hope" it will go down? when I see that Chantix commercial.. 'thoughts of suicide, vivid dreams" and all the other possible side effects - it take longer to list the possible side effects than the benefits. I would rather smoke....not to mention the price especially since it's a prescription drug - mega bucks. did I mention that the stop smoking drugs is a mega millions industry? I quit smoking Aug 12 2013 after 48 years of smoking when I found out I have stage 1 emphysema. I been vaping since then and according to my pulmonologist there has actually been some slight improvement in some areas. He didn't give any credit to the e-cigs but he didn't discredit it either. As far as he is concerned, it's a lot better than smoking and he has really hasn't tried to discourage me from vaping. Smoke juice contains propoleyne glycol, vegetable glycerin, chemicals you can find in a lot of other foods. It also contains flavoring that you want, sweetner if you want it, and nicotine in varying amounts. I started out with 24 mg and now I'm down to 6 mg. I'll eventually get down to 0 mg of nicotine. Smoking is more than just an addiction to nicotine, it's also the other habits and mannerisms that people have. It's like someone who's always sniffing when they don't need to or biting their fingernails. With vaping the only thing I had to give up is the smoking, not all the activities you have to quit or limit to avoid triggering the urge to smoke. I've hardly changed any of the activities that triggerd smoking before. Instead of smoking after eating, drinking a cup of coffee, while driving, nervous or anxious I VAPE. I don't feel like I given up anything. Now I actually prefer vaping to smokine!
9 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nice to see you Working On It! Thanks for stopping by.

Also, thank you for sharing the link with us. It's so important to have as much info as we can on products like these. I am surprised by how popular e-cigerettes are these days. There is even a new e-cigerette lounge that popped up beside where I live!   I often contemplate going in there and providing them with some info... maybe I should post some SSC flyers lol.

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi all,

I haven't been around for a while. I've been going longer and longer periods without really thinking about smoking. So I don't think about coming here as much anymore. 

Nonetheless, I just want to say "hi" to all the new quitters. I wish you success in your journey. Though both tedious and harrowing at the beginning, this trip is so worth it. There is such a feeling of freedom and empowerment that comes with mastery over and release of those urges. It is so nice to not have to spend precious time and money on maintaining that habit. And to face life's difficulties without also being constantly harassed and haranged by that inner addict... what a relief!

Anyway, what brought me here was this article that I ran across today. I know that many people are now using the e-cigarettes as a type of quit aid. The position that I've seen on this site has been that we really don't have enough evidence to know if they are safe or not, so "play at your own risk." The article I saw today indicates that the e-cigs may be even more dangerous than regular cigarettes. So it might be a good idea to look at some more proven types of nicotine replacement--gums, lozenges, patches, inhalers, etc. (you might have to cut and paste this link to your browser.)
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/e-cigarettes-contain-10-times-amount-of-carcinogens-japan-research/ar-BBg2Mvj

Have a great holiday (to the U.S. folks who celebrate Thanksgiving today.) And whatever you do, just don't smoke.  

• Quit Meter

$22,536.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 10

Minutes: 40 Seconds: 55

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: