Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Good physical today

11 years ago 0 153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Me too!  And now I don't have to stop for smoke breaks while I ride or be nagged by the craving.  Instead I can just enjoy the natural high from the physical exertion and the fresh air.  Unfortunately it's getting a little nippy where I am for riding but I'll be strating to go to spin classes as soon as I no longer feel like running or riding outdoors  . . . . or who knows, maybe I'll just get hardier and start running outside in the winter like all the people I used to call "crazies" a few years ago!!! 
11 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sounds fantastic!

A bike ride sounds like a perfect celebration - bike riding always gives me a sense of freedom.

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashlei,

I was thinking about the feeling healthier business today. I don't really feel it when my blood pressure is high. I only feel when it gets too low. Plus, I did have the BP in the correct ranges with meds. So there's really not a different feeling right now, aside from a little more freedom from meds.  It's definitely a good thing to be less reliant upon medications. There's less anxiety over possibly missing one. Plus, the rebel in me really hates having to grovel to a Dr. for meds on a regular basis.  

I do have the overall sense that I'm healing and growing stronger. I also feel that my quality of life will be better, even as I age. Since my future independence will depend on me maintaining good health, and since independence is very important to me, I feel better about the future. Celebrated with an 8.5 mile bike ride tonight.  
  • Quit Meter

$22,541.55

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 13

Minutes: 26 Seconds: 34

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 187 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Way to go working on it!  You must feel so proud of yourself!  And I'm sure your dr. loved to see the improvements you're experiencing as well.  I loved reading this post because it puts quitting into perspective.  Some days when I get down I wonder why I'm even bothering to quit.  This is an excellent reminder of how much it affects your quality of life.  That is insane that your blood pressure has improved so quickly!

You mentioned that you have been having eczema flare ups.  I used to have it bad when I was a teenager but it went away. Funny thing is, over the last couple of weeks I have broken out between and around my fingers.  Maybe the smoking thing is just a coincidence?  Thankfully it hasn't gotten too bad.

Again, good for you!  Make sure you find a way to reward yourself! 
11 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi working on it,

Congratulations! And it will only get better the longer you stay quit

How does it feel to be healthier?

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I went to my annual physical today. I got to brag to my primary care doctor about quitting smoking.
Also, the blood pressure has dropped so much (100/60 average) since I quit smoking that I started getting heart flutters and dizziness. I started splitting my meds in half about 3 weeks ago and told the doctor about it today. Readings are still in the low-normal range. He gave me the option of going off meds altogether. Since high blood pressure is also part of my family history, I was a little cautious. So he told me to keep splitting the pills and monitoring. ....And if I feel it's safe to stop the meds and continue to monitor, I can.  We also will do a follow up on the cholesterol levels in a few weeks, in the hopes that I can reduce some of my niacin.  

The only new negative health thing since I've quit smoking has been crazy eczema flares. From what I've read, this may be part of the long nicotine detox process. Considering the other issues that are improving, I'd say it's still a net gain. 

• Quit Meter

$22,541.55

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 13

Minutes: 26 Seconds: 34

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: