Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Just switched up my quit meter

11 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Working , By now you're beginning to see that quitting smoking is no fantasy. Hour by hour and day by day you're building the confidence to get you through. The worst is over physically and now it's mind games. If you join the gym you won't have time to think about smoking which is a good thing. Keep telling yourself N.O.P.E. Tell yourself that no matter what happens I won't smoke today. You never have to smoke again if you don't want to. Good idea to give the butts away because if they're not around there's no reason to obsess about them. Yay for you ! breather
11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks again, guys, for all the support along the way. I can't way until I'm one of the big girls in the stats parade!

In terms of rewards....well, during detox I binged on both home cooked and restaurant food. I was having some pretty wild sensations and cravings. I chose to simply indulge rather than fighting it. I figured detox days weren't a good time to sort out any issues with food. So I've kind of already been "rewarded" for what I've done so far.

However, something that I've wanted since January is a monthly membership to 24 Hour Fitness just down the street. They've got some cool classes--yoga and bicycling have my interest. Plus, they've got tons of elliptical riders, a decent sized indoor swimming pool and a spa. 24 hour access.  All for about $32/ month.  I've backed off several times for fear of wasting money and/or simply not using it. At this point, the monthly dues would be far less than my smoking habit was, so I'm thinking I can afford it. Hoping to connect with that reward in a few weeks, when I start my summer vacation. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,541.55

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 13

Minutes: 33 Seconds: 34

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Workin'!!!

Congrats on 4 awesome smoke-free days!!!   Since you gave away your cancer sticks, you'll never get that  $25 back!  The great thing is, tomorrow will sort of be your break-even day, though and from then on, it's nothing but money in your pocket!!!    You can start saving up for a really special reward after that!  The best savings of all, in my opinion, is your life!    It's definitely worth going through the madness called quitting to save something so valuable!  Keep on kickin' that demon's but, Workin'!!! 

Jim 
  • Quit Meter

$44,265.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 9

Minutes: 58 Seconds: 12

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You ARE doing it!

Very proud of you for giving up those cigarettes. Who wants boxes of poison anyways? Not you! You're doing fantastic. Feel the bad emotions and then let them pass. Step by step you will get there.

I think you deserve a reward for giving up those cigarettes - How will you celebrate?

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations on your 4 clear days!  It just goes to show...

Whatever it takes!!!  Every quit is different.

Love Lolly.  
11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When I first set up my quit meter, I wasn't sure what to do. My smoking habit was actually 20 cigarettes/ day. By the time I'd set my quit meter, I was down to about 10 in terms of the combined effect of lozenges and cigarettes. So i listed 10. i still didn't think it was quit valid, especially in terms of the "money saved," since the NRT's cost money, too. 

So, long story short is that I re-set the meter to reflect my first real detox day and to reflect the real daily value of quitting a pack a day habit.   

In other news, I just gave the rest of my last carton to my still-smoking roommate. 5 packs left. That was a harder step than I had imagined.  Somehow, holding on to them was a security blanket for me; the knowledge that they were there somehow allowed me to say "no." For some reason, after I detoxed, I didn't want them in my room anymore. The roommate was all gleeful about the "gift," and kept asking me if I was serious. I said, "Well, my intention is to not smoke again, so these really have no more value to me," and "thanks for taking them off my hands."   (OK, I can do this. Breathe. Breathe.  )
  • Quit Meter

$22,541.55

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 13

Minutes: 33 Seconds: 34

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: