Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

I totally fell apart today

12 years ago 0 792 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Working on it ! You don't need any further advice than what you already know "get back on the horse" Learn by doing.
12 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Working on It!!!

Glad to see you back again, even though the circumstances aren't what you would have hoped for.  Not to worry!!!  This quitting thing can be a real bugger!  The important thing for you is that you are not quitting trying to quit!  I've notice that it doesn't show that you have gone through any of the milestones in the Program.  Maybe you have, but if not, I recommend doing so!  So much of this is mental and many have to "learn" how to quit!  The milestones really help with the preparation for quitting and we all know that if we are going to be successful in doing anything, we must follow the 6-P's... Proper Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance!  

Knowledge is power!  You will need all that you can get to win the war against the nico-demon!  Read and learn from the Program and from the different topics here on the Forums.  Do the little worksheets and assignments in the Program... it all helps!  Continue to psych yourself up for your quit so when the day comes, POW!!! ... the demon won't know what hit it!  

We're all rooting for you!  Keep us posted on your progress!

Jim 
  • Quit Meter

$44,265.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 8

Minutes: 30 Seconds: 59

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

12 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Working on it,

I was sorry to read you had a blip. But was delighted to read you're going to get right back to it and carry on. The saddest thing about giving in to a smoke is that it doesn't change a darn thing, it just adds to the problem. Nothing changed about the situation you found yourself in by smoking, but you gave yourself a little more stress by losing sight of your quit for a day.
I love that you came and shared and held your hands up, and I also like that you want to carry on. Recognising what triggered those feelings is half the battle of identifying them next time they materialise.
Good luck! 
12 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Working on it,

This is completely common. I can tell you I really think it is from the smoking; in two different ways. For one it is due to the withdrawal and chemical reaction going on in your body. You are more edgy, more fatigued, uncomfortable and your mood is lowered. This in itself could trigger someone to have a really bad day after a stressful situation. In addition to this, you have given up probably your biggest coping mechanism.  In the past, after a stressful event, you would have stopped, walked away and taken long deep drags of your smoke. Now you can't or if you do it is accompanied with quite a bit of guilt because you have chosen to cut back.  The key is to have alternative, more healthy coping mechanisms to replace smoking.  Instead of smoking go for a walk, call a friend, meditate, take deep abdominal breaths, etc.  Learn new ways to sooth yourself, find ways that work for you. This is a long learning process and stress is a big trigger for many. 

I am so glad to hear you are going to jump right back on the horse. That takes strength and determination.  Those qualities will take you far in this quit.

Hope this weekend is pleasant and relaxing and you have some constructive, open communication with the guy you have recently been seeing  

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Working on it,

I am sorry to hear about your quit. 

I imagine that smoking all day did not help you with your emotional problems...it never does.  Many of us had terrible personal problems throughout our quits, and most of us know that smoking even one cigarette does not help with the problem.  It is very hard to cope with personal issues when you are quitting, as we always used cigarettes as our emotional crutch to 'get us through' such difficulties.

Everyone handles a quit differently...You have decided to reduce your cigs gradually.  This way is not for everyone, but does it work for you?
Maybe you need a little time out to think through what quitting means to you.....maybe you would be better preparing for and then starting a complete quit...Not One Puff Ever. 

Initially it's a harder way to go, but with Nicotine aids etc. you may not find it too difficult.  What you are doing at the minute is to keep feeding your emotional dependence on cigarettes, as well as your physical dependence.  Do give it some serious thought!

Sorry if I seem to be too harsh in this post, but saying it's OK to smoke as a way out of problems will not help you either.  Giving in to the 'Nicodemon' is exactly what your addiction wants...to be fed regularly.

Many of us also failed with quits and it took us many attempts to get it right.  You can do this too!  Good Luck with your plans.

Lolly.  
12 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I totally fell apart today. Smoking was only a piece of the whole thing. Had some extremely difficult interactions with a guy I recently started seeing. For some reason, it made me feel really crazy. Ended up calling into work, sleeping for most of the day, and eating and smoking in between.

I don't often get like this, and I'm not sure why I got so set off. maybe the decrease in smoking is making me more edgy. Maybe the new relationship is doing it. maybe it's a combination. Maybe I was just due for a day like this, since it's been years since the last one.

I know that I'll be back on the horse tomorrow. I will go back to the part of the plan I was on yesterday. Back to the incremental step that I'm on.

But I am wondering if anyone else has had an emotional experience like this while working on quitting. Just completely emotionally freaked out and exhausted.
  • Quit Meter

$22,541.55

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 12

Minutes: 26 Seconds: 41

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: