Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Self-Discovery and Surviving Heck Week

13 years ago 0 331 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow what a great post to share.  Your story is very inspiring and I really believe that self discovery not only helps the soul but helps you stay quit!  I believe you have many more moments of becoming the new you in the future and only good can come from this.  Congrats!
13 years ago 0 150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Collina,

Its great that you chose to book a flight and avoid the temptation.  In these first few months, I think it will be important to avoid certain situations that may expose my weaknesses.  Unfortunately, I had no choice but to drive....student budget mandated it:( 

Good luck on your smoke-free trip! 

Cheers,

Alice

13 years ago 0 17 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Everything you said rings true, the car, avoiding social interactions and traveling. I'm hoping to reach the same self discovery and bravery. I just made travel plans that included a short flight, rather than driving. I could have driven and enjoyed the radio and smoking before I arrived at the non-smoking venue, but instead I'm flying and taking public transportation to avoid temptation. See you're already an inspiration!

~Collina
13 years ago 0 230 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well done alice.  Congrats on quitting!! 
13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Alice,

Thanks for sharing your lovely story about the new you!!

Keep up the good work!

Tiana, Health Educator
  • Quit Meter

$79,471.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5540 Hours: 6

Minutes: 2 Seconds: 15

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

13 years ago 0 150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

On Thursday, my husband and I took a 7 hour trip to a conference for school/work.  During this trip, I discovered new things about myself, my addiction and about change.  I realized that smoking was used as a tool to pass the boredom on long trips trapped in a car.  Without the smoke, I listened to interesting inner dialogues and engaged in unexpected philosophical debates with my husband.  I acknowledged that I used smoking at conferences as a way to avoid public settings and to cope with my own insecurities.  Without the smoke, I became aware of how brave I am and how fulfilling social interactions can be.  I noticed that I enjoyed smoking after a meal at a restaurant with friends.  Without the smoke, I realized that I enjoy drinking green tea, warm restaurants, and conversation with cherished friends.  I learned that I gained 1-2 pounds on long business trips because the only exercise I would get would be from the hotel room to the outside for a cigarette.  Without the smoke, I experienced how peaceful a city can be at 6:00am on a morning jog and that the normal 1-2 pound gain is preventable.  Above all, I became aware that there is an important distinction between who I thought I was (a smoker) and who I truly am.  I have changed in a two short weeks and I look forward to a new future of unexpected, yet welcomed, discoveries. 
I have survived heck week (kicking and screaming) and look forward too many more smoke free days.
Alice

Reading this thread: