Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

feeling depressed and tired

14 years ago 0 183 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, I take good vitamins. A packet with everything thats high in B's and everything else it can be. Also Fish oil, extra magnesium and liquid vit D3, so the vits. are good. I am eating very healthy and working out three time a week, real good workouts too. So, will give it time.  Its great to go here each day and see my new friends! This has been a hard lonely time in my life and its wonderful I got to meet you.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/14/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 6
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 120
Amount Saved: $36.90
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 2 Mins: 49 Seconds: 43

14 years ago 0 916 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lance!
I also experienced a rollercoaster of emotions. I experienced sadness. I took sam-e and it worked wonders for me. Ad Brernda says, vitamin B helps a lot too.
But just ask your doctor. I just want to say that it is quite normal to experience those negative feelings.
Marivi

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 270
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 4,050
Amount Saved: $405.00
Life Gained:
Days: 30 Hrs: 18 Mins: 20 Seconds: 13

14 years ago 0 363 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lance,

You said "smoking helped in the past", smoking never helped us do anything but be short of breath, smell bad, and throw away our money. I understand your thinking, I was the same way. I dealt with any stressful situation by smoking. Now, as  non smokers, we have to deal with all these emotions with nothing to numb us first. Smoking desensitized us to every emotion in the book, we're now learning how to feel all that raw emotion that we hid from all those years. Remember, no matter how bad it gets, smoking won't help it, or change it in anyway.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/2/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 201
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 8,040
Amount Saved: $2,412.00
Life Gained:
Days: 29 Hrs: 19 Mins: 15 Seconds: 24

• Quit Meter

$37,605.75

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 989 Hours: 2

Minutes: 12 Seconds: 6

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Quitting smoking does all types of good things to your body. It may seem weird, but the tiredness and /or insomnia, etc. are signals that you are healing from smoking. I've started taking a multivitamin. The B vitamins are good for anxiety. However, if you have a diagnosed mental disorder, speak with your doctor before taking even over-the-counter meds. Some of them work and shouldn't be combined with other meds you may be taking.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 172
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 4,816
Amount Saved: $1,866.20
Life Gained:
Days: 18 Hrs: 20 Mins: 36 Seconds: 15

14 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Lance, the first while your body goes through a lot of  changes as it is recovering from the drugs leaving your body. Sleepy, woozy, light headedness, sleep disturbances, all of these things are normal. Feeling depressed is also normal, as the nicotine adjusted the chemicals in your brain.  I took Vitamin B complex and Vitamin B12 to help with that. It is something that you need to keep an eye on. Ice cold water really helps with the cravings, don't forget to use other things too, candy gum, straws, whatever you find helpful. Have you gone through the program? There are breathing exercises that really help too! Read all you can here, there is a lot of help in these boards. Spend some time here and you can learn alot!
Hang in there and don't give in, it does get better and soon you will be sooooooo glad you stuck it out!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 960
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 24,000
Amount Saved: $10,128.00
Life Gained:
Days: 127 Hrs: 2 Mins: 27 Seconds: 20

I understand, this another tough morning. Still have the fears and worries of my situation, smoking helped in the past, cravings are intense still. I want to smoke and I don't.
My Milage:

Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 1 Mins: 29 Seconds: 21

14 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lance,

In addition to withdrawing to the toxic chemicals smoking introduced, there are also many changes going on in your body.

When you smoked, nicotine triggered the release of neurotransmitters in your brain. These neurotransmitters are responsible for good mood. When you quit, it isn't uncommon for your mood to take a nose dive.

This case of the blues is temporary and until it passes, there are a few things you can do:

* Exercise as it releases endorphins and these are also conducive to good mood.

* Rewarding yourself with something pleasurable. This triggers the same release of neurotransmitters we mentionned.

* Get outside and get adequate rest as these also affect your mood.

Fatigue is also a common withdrawal symptom and is generally the result of:

• Your metabolism slowing down
  • The lack of nicotine which is a stimulant
  • The increase of oxygen present in your bloodstream
  • Nightly sleeping disturbances
  • Caffeine withdrawal
Take naps if you need to as you wait for this withdrawal symptom to pass. If it persists beyond the first few weeks of your quit, see your doctor for further assessment.

Keep on stay strong lance!  You are going great!

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 1387 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lance:
   I was pretty depressed early on in my first couple attempts at quitting smoking.  you need to talk to your Dr. about not sleeping well.  I could be withdrawls but I am not a Dr.  Just don't light up.  Remember no matter what may be wrong, smoking will not make it better.  Have you tried the sister site to this one for depression?
Kaiser

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/30/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 447
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 11,175
Amount Saved: $558.75
Life Gained:
Days: 90 Hrs: 2 Mins: 8 Seconds: 37

Is it common when your getting close to a week to start feeling depressed? Also, feel pretty tired lately, harder to get a good night sleep too. Just real blah today. Yesterday I wanted to smoke pretty bad. This morning a little. Wow
My Milage:

Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 1 Mins: 12 Seconds: 40

Reading this thread: