Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,516 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Monkeys and Peanuts

14 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Fay,

Great story and great advice!  Congrats on awesome stats!

Keep those stories and experiences coming!

Josie, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 24 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good Day All!

It's been a while, and I am still not smoking!

Just thought I would share....

Smokers and Smoking was once explained to me like this:-

A farmer owned a peanut farm, with lots of peanut trees. Every day, the monkeys would try to steal as many peanuts from the trees as they could. The farmer would spot them, run for his gun and head down to his orchard, and the  monkeys would scarper.  To stop them, the farmer picked all his peanuts, and put them in jars. Big fat jars with very slim necks.  When the monkeys came and saw the jars of peanuts, they immediately stuck their hands in and grabbed a fistful of peanuts. But because their had clenched their fists around the peanuts, when they tried to take their hand out of the jar, it was stuck fast.  The farmer went to get his gun. As he came down the hill, all the monkeys knew he was going to kill them. They all looked at each other knowing death was iniment. Of course, they only had to let go of their peanuts and they could run. But the thought of letting go of those peanuts hardly crossed their mind. They thought of everything else they could and wallowed int heir own self pity that they were in such a perishable situation.

The analogy is smokers unable to let go of their smokes, even though they too know that the farmer is coming down that hill.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/10/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 58
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,450
Amount Saved: $748.20
Life Gained:
Days: 4 Hrs: 23 Mins: 58 Seconds: 52

Reading this thread: