Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

No Matter What Happens

14 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Don, congratulations for all of your successes and thank you for sharing them with us.  You are so right, lower blood pressure is a wonderful side effect of not smoking.  And its wonderful that your dosage can be reduced.  One thing we don't talk about often is going to the doctors.  Yes, smoking can hide ailments, and once you quit smoking, those ailments may appear.  But in most cases, quitting smoking lowers your blood pressure, or reduces the risk for blood clots, or a million other things that improve once you quit smoking.  Getting a physical once a year is a good thing!  We know the healthy benefits of being smoke free, but do we really know how our health has improved?  And if anything, getting a high five from a medical professional instead of a lecture about smoking is a reward in itself!  Thank you for reminding us to see a doctor when necessary!  And Congratulations on shutting out the nicodemon for 224 days!  You have a great score going!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 307
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 12,280
Amount Saved: $3,070.00
Life Gained:
Days: 45 Hrs: 21 Mins: 37 Seconds: 12

14 years ago 0 916 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations Breather!
I also was bordrline hugh blood pressure, and now I'm normal. Sometimes it evens drop to low!
And my resting heart rate has always been 52 and now it dropped to 50. My cardiologists says that my low resting heart rate is a consequence of my workouts.
Marivi

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 151
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,265
Amount Saved: $226.50
Life Gained:
Days: 17 Hrs: 5 Mins: 45 Seconds: 31

14 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Don!!!

I am ever so pleased to hear that you are reaping the benefits of your quit!!!  They all say that it can happen, and lookie here folks, genuine proof!!!!   I hope to hear that you'll be running your first marathon pretty soon! 

All my best, buddy!!!

Jim

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 475
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 11,875
Amount Saved: $1,959.38
Life Gained:
Days: 80 Hrs: 13 Mins: 40 Seconds: 24

• Quit Meter

$44,295.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1060 Hours: 2

Minutes: 31 Seconds: 27

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So pleased to hear your blood pressure is steadily coming down Breather. That's such a gift to give yourself as a result of your quit.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 409
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 10,225
Amount Saved: $6,135.00
Life Gained:
Days: 48 Hrs: 7 Mins: 14 Seconds: 33

14 years ago 0 1985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hello Breather

The heart rate came way down for me.  My resting pulse had always be about 90 bpm since I was a kid.  I can remember that I just thought that was normal for me.  However since I quit smoking my resting pulse now is about 65 bpm.

I want to congratulate you for doing such an outstanding job with your smoking cessation.  You have done really, really well and should be very proud of your accomplishments to date.  And yes it is NOPE forever unless we want to instantly become a smoker again.  Too much work to go through the cessation process, best to fully realize when you are on the greener side of the hill.  People can forget how easy it is to get sucked back in to and how difficult is to stop again.

We all know of people who gave up smoking and some are still around to talk about it.  Why they walk and talk just like us and they don’t have a butt hanging down from their lips.  And you know what?  They are quit content with things being the way that they are.  Smoking was a bad thing that we picked up along the way and we have learned that it is not necessary to sustain a good and happy existence.  Life’s much better when you don’t smoke.  Congratulations again friend 224 days and as strong as an ox.

Not lookin for the misplaced smokes or pack of matches and I truly like it exactly that way!

Stickin

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/22/2006
Smoke-Free Days: 1248
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 22,464
Amount Saved: $7,300.80
Life Gained:
Days: 227 Hrs: 15 Mins: 23 Seconds: 2

14 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for sharing your success story with us Breather!

You must feel good knowing that your blood pressure is slowly normalizing - partially due to not smoking. Good health is our most precious commodity so your advice is bang-on.

Congrats on 224 days smoke free under your belt and on successfully reducing your blood pressure!

Faryal, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 A lot can happen in a day. From a common ordinary day to down right catastrophic. I tell myself that I won't smoke no matter what happens. I've been on major medication for high blood pressure. As a result of not smoking the blood pressure is now lower. This means that the medication can now be reduced. My doc attributes this to not smoking. Suffice to say that I'll be taking less medication in the future. I would suggest to anyone over 40 to get your blood pressure checked. Even if you do it at a pharmacy. If it happens to be high don't shrug it off. The machine isn't broken so go see your doctor. Why am I telling you this ? Because I want you to have every advantage. Today I'll not smoke under any circumstances and go to the doctor when necessary.  breather 224 Addict still 0
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/11/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 224
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 11,200
Amount Saved: $5,376.00
Life Gained:
Days: 41 Hrs: 2 Mins: 27 Seconds: 11

Reading this thread: