Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,458 Members

Please welcome our newest members: jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease, Nallemor, Snaffums

weight gain

15 years ago 0 916 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lee!
Most of the people I know have gained weight when they quit,so you are not alone. Besides even with that weight gain you are healthier now than before! Gaining weight was a big smoking trigger for me, and I'm really mad that my previous quits were not succesful because as soon as I experienced weight gain I went back to my stinky addeict5ion.
    Well this time I promessed myself not to do that. Not smoking is my frist priority right now. I gained six pound on the first week, and I felt bloated. Correction: I was bloated. I felt miserable but I promessed myself to stop smoking, so I did that.
The bloatiness has dissapeared, so now I'm feeling great and with a lot of energy. Last week I was able to run 10 miles!
I haven't been able to do that since I was 20!
Now I returned to pump some iron too, and I have a pilates routine 4 times a week. I'm limiting my carb intake but having plenty of great food! They are great sugarfree desserts so you can still enjoy the taste of it, but without the guilt!
Most of the people I know return to they normal weight and some of them even lose more, because they have more energy and spend their smoking time in working out!!
Hugs
Maribi
Congratulations! Thirty days is great!!!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 54
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 810
Amount Saved: $81.00
Life Gained:
Days: 6 Hrs: 5 Mins: 13 Seconds: 53

15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am sure you know best Ashley, however, I think there are very few who dont gain weight after quitting especially women. I had never had a weight problem before, and suddenly I was hungry and I mean hungry! Also the thought of healthy options just didn't cut it for me, it had to  be high sugar foods and I wondered if this was linked to a similar hit to nicotine?
My husband also gained weight and he too had never had a weight problem before and he felt the same needs for high sugar high energy foods.
I am happy to say we are both exercising more and are losing the weight gained, but it can be an awful shock and disheartening to some as this sometimes negates the benefits of quitting for health.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 312
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 7,800
Amount Saved: $4,680.00
Life Gained:
Days: 36 Hrs: 20 Mins: 29 Seconds: 25

15 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations on 30 days smoke free LEE!    Thats a big deal!  WOW

Weight gain is a common problem while quitting although not everyone gains weight.  Two things seem to cause this weight gain. First, your body metabolism slows down when you quit, so you don't need as much food as when you were smoking. Second, you may use food to replace cigarettes and end up eating a bit more than before.

Tips to avoid gaining weight while maintaining a quit:
Eat healthy, tasty, well-balanced meals as much as possible. Avoid fad diets.

Since food may taste better after you quit, you may want bigger helpings. Try to eat the same amount as usual.

Nicotine withdrawal can cause constipation. Drink lots of fluids.
Eat low-fat snacks like crackers, fruits, veggies or toast, instead of donuts, candy, or potato chips.

Moderate your use of alcohol. Keeping your hands busy with smoking may have slowed up your drinking before. Without a cigarette, your rate and number of drinks may increase along with your weight. 

Get up and get moving! Physical activity can help to counteract any weight gain.

Start with a small achievable goal. Example: Walking 10 minutes everyday. Once you’ve gotten into the routine, change the activity goal. Example: Walking 20 minutes everyday, attending a fitness class once a week, join a sports team, take up a hobby that gets you moving like rock climbing or dancing. 

What is key to remember is that increasing your level of physical activity requires changing your routine, therefore selecting a goal that is in tone with your current lifestyle in the beginning makes it a more manageable change and thus more sustainable over the long-term.

Please feel free to post your thoughts and experiences on weight gain here with us, we all learn from each other.

Stay Strong Lee.  NOPE!!

Ashley, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lee! sadly weight gain seems to be the price we pay to be non-smokers. I gained alot of weight and at first could not focus on my quit and the weight, but now the quit kind of takes care of itself and for the last month I have been at Weight watchers and lost 14 pounds. I am also swimming three times a week and doing alot of walking. I feel much better already.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 312
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 7,800
Amount Saved: $4,680.00
Life Gained:
Days: 36 Hrs: 20 Mins: 9 Seconds: 26

15 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sorry, I have been very busy and have not had a chance to join group session----still a non smoker 30 days today-what about this weight gain-30 lbs for me now & high cholesterol too. (Ooops) Started a exercise program last Monday, now I have something else to work on, but it is well worth it, no more smelling like a cigarette and wondering where I have set them down at..........On the morning news today, Chicago's cigarette tax will be raised another $1.00---Yikes---------------hope everyone is doing well and not giving in to that demon----keep up the good work

Reading this thread: