Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,542 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf

Stifling your emotions - the forgotten symptom

15 years ago 0 984 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Pat, you are a hero to so many, my way looks like toddling sometimes when I think of your strength.  Proud to take the journey with you.  You'll see you've inspired my new signature (if it works!)

AC, man alive sorry to open the tear ducts on you, but then too I've demanded you cry so hey maybe it's all good ?  We do seem to share a remarkably similar story, so I'm pulling for you from the depths.  It's so bizarre to think that smoking is a coverup or symptom for anything when I'd always thought it was just a lousy habit (addiction).  I know there have been times I've made decisions my family would say were totally selfish but then again when they said it they were all smokers. Since when is it a crime to look after yourself?  It's not - do it!  Stay strong AC.

Rock and Sylvie thank you for your kind words.  I hope my journey can help others along with theirs; if anything I say makes a single person put a single cigarette down then I've done something good and my heart is full.  This is such a painful process, it's so important to be 'near' others who just understand.

Sassy, all you say - oh yes, yes indeed!  I suspect it's similar for most - who I really am is someone I never new up until New Year's day 2007, and would you know I quite like her!  Hated the smoker version, but take the poison away and we're doing a-ok.

Twenty years lost, two found. I always looked at people who were calm, seemed 'put together' not quick to melt down when problems came up and thought 'how on earth can they be like that?'  Kicked nic's ash and I'm starting to learn.

Let's soar, baby.

x T

15 years ago 0 355 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Exactly Sassy!
 AC

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/30/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 10
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 120
Amount Saved: $52.80
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 23 Mins: 1 Seconds: 48

15 years ago 0 84 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
such interesting stuff here......i was a smoker for so long - i never knew who i was without the cigarette.  how do i really handle stress?  never knew.   people tell me i'm calmer now...i find that incredible but then i realize that when stress hits..the first thing i reacted to was the nicotine urge..which i satisfied.  once i had the cigarette - the stress was still there.....so now, when there is no 'reward' (ha) i have to learn to deal.    i am more vocal than i used to be...more emotional..more honest...i have nothing to lose...there is no cigarette waiting for me at the end of the confrontation - question - concern...i am on my own....so becoming a non-smoker has taught me how to be who i really am...nothing to hide behind......
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 2/7/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 337
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 10,110
Amount Saved: $4,296.75
Life Gained:
Days: 39 Hrs: 13 Mins: 55 Seconds: 13

• Quit Meter

$7,241.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 800 Hours: 4

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 13

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

This is a great thread. We would love to hear your thoughts on this subject. How do you deal with your emotions? What tips and strategies do you have for your fellow nopers?

Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
For anybody out there on the fence, this post is on the must read list.  Thanks for sharing this with all of Todash!  What inspirational words of wisdom!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 141
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 5,640
Amount Saved: $1,128.00
Life Gained:
Days: 21 Hrs: 3 Mins: 38 Seconds: 18

15 years ago 0 355 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
There are many, many reasons why people smoke.  Some of us (me included) smoke to cover up issues that we don't want to face.  I smoked to shut out things I felt unsure how to handle or unwilling to handle.  And truthfully, if my chest hadn't started feeling like an elephant stood on it, I don't know if I would have thought to quit.  Silly.  But this quit hasn't been about fighting nicotine addiction as much as it's been about self-discovery, finding steady ground and becoming strong.

Todash - once again you've got me crying.  I think I relate so well to your posts because there are sooo many similarities.  Our stories aren't exactly the same.  Mine is mine and yours is yours.  But the self destructive results are the same.  (And how freaky is it that I've had those same in my head arguments?)

This was touched on in another post.  Someone (maybe Rock maybe Karren? who?) said that my quit was for me.  And they were so right.  I'm not a self-disciplined person.  I'm not a decisive person.  And while I've been known to make many a selfish decision in my life, they seem to have all revolved around someone else.  But my quit is mine!!  It's my decision, my health, my life.  Going through this, your focus shifts from your work, your family, your friends....to yourself.  You realize that you are strong, and you are good and you are capable.  Then people here help you remember that you will do it and you are worth it.  Not because you're someone's parent or child, friend or employee....just because you are you.

It's really quite a heady feeling.  
AC

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/30/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 9
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 108
Amount Saved: $47.52
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 21 Mins: 8 Seconds: 20

15 years ago 0 925 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Todash,
You've come a long, long way and thanks for sharing this with us!  How well I do remember this post.  It was a brilliant read then and is just as powerful today. 

.... It doesn't get any better than this....

"I can think clearly, and I’m not too late.  There is still time to live.  I AM living now.  I am soaring." 

Pat

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/28/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 711
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 28,440
Amount Saved: $14,220.00
Life Gained:
Days: 93 Hrs: 8 Mins: 9 Seconds: 34

• Quit Meter

$121,152.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 964 Hours: 23

Minutes: 33 Seconds: 43

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Forgot me stats again!

My Quit Date: 1/1/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 738
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 16,990
Amount Saved: £4059
Life Gained:
Days: 65 Hrs: 2 Mins: 28 Seconds: 56

x T

I posted this back on day 600 and cannot express how much I believe anyone beginning a quit should make 'Find another way to deal with your emotions' top of their to do list. We talk often about distraction and nourishment, dieting and overeating, exercising and clearing one's head. But I absolutely IMPLORE you if you're on a new journey to really take time to understand your emotions - how you deal with every situation, not expressly as it relates to smoking but as it relates to your very fibre.  How you operate.  How you function.  Why you hate the colour blue or love sunflowers.  Why hearing that song makes you want to scratch your eyes out or this one makes you cry for half an hour.  Everything.

Over the past two years, I've learned it's so much more than 'addiction' why we smoked.  To break the habit is one thing, but to silence the addict is an entirely different game.  Stock up on the cold water and healthy snacks.  Buy running shoes.  But let those thoughts OUT, let those tears FALL and get to know yourself.  Get to love yourself - again or for a start.  This is your quit, this is your life.  If you want it back, you must TAKE it.

Emotions, wizardry and the recovery of a saddo

Cloak and crutch.  Mask and myth.  These you need?  These you crave?  No, friend, these you use to hide from reality and deny yourself a full life.  Twenty years I did this.  598 days since I stopped.  Since the smoke cleared, if you’ll pardon the irony.  Sure everyone says their life changes when they quit smoking but folks, my life has CHANGED.

Bulllied as a kid.  So shy I couldn’t ask the neighbour for the spare house key when I was locked out.  Difficult family life resulted in a near debilitating fear of authority figures among other psychological weaknesses.  1+1+1 = passive/aggressive and entirely unable to express my own wants and needs.  Cigarettes provided the escape mechanism from uncomfortable situations as well as the endorphin rush to make me feel less crap.

They also provided a cough, a litany of other physical ick-nesses and a sure fire way to withdraw into myself and throw away two decades. Whoopee, enter the nightmare.

Fast forward those 20 years and 598 days and I barely recognize who I’ve become.  I can now ask for what I want from my husband, boss and work colleagues, knowing full well it may create confrontation - but that’s ok, I can deal with it now.  I can challenge something that goes against my opinion or core beliefs and come to an agreement whether it’s in my favour or not.  I can admit when I’m wrong.  I can choose my battles wisely and debate with the best of them.  Or I can withdraw from an argument that’s not important enough to expend the effort, and - key here - not feel angry about it later.  I can defend myself, I can think clearly, and I’m not too late.  There is still time to live.  I AM living now.  I am soaring.

Let us draw back the curtain at have a gander at the wizard.

At the first hint of an uncomfortable emotion, smokers are desperate to switch it off.  They race off behind the blue cloud thinking they’re just having a moment to decompress, when they’re actually creating more chaos in their lives by physically speeding up their system.  They inhale and exhale, mentally reworking the thing they’re trying to avoid, layering angst on anger.  Time and again they avoid the difficult act of facing up to issues and finding resolutions.  It’s easier to walk away and smoke yourself stupid.  Hell, I used to verbalise what an argument would be like with someone who wasn’t present, just to get the anger out of my system so I wouldn’t have to confront them.  Cripes what a saddo.

You can’t smoke a flat tire full.  You can’t smoke an infuriating boss into a kitten.  You can’t smoke a traffic jam clear, or a bill collector paid, or that burnt out Christmas tree lightbulb to reveal itself.  Smoke all you want, it’ll still be there when you come back inside, stinking and spewing (and cursing that bulb!)

Smokers think their lives are lacking something that a four inch tube full of brown weeds and embalming fluid can miraculously cure.  Honestly, if something so vile can replace whatever is missing in your life, you need to rethink how badly you need what’s missing and find something better to fill the void.  Pronto.  Go now, we’ll be here when you get back.

So hey, why kill yourself?  Let’s start a campaign to help people screw up their lives without cigarettes!  Here’s one: go buy a huge blanket, crawl under it and don’t come out for 20 years.  You’ll develop the same social skills as the average smoker.

I know, better yet…don’t take a shower, start a food waste compost heap under that blanket, and crank up the heat.  You’ll probably smell better than the average smoker.

I never truly understood the phrase ‘the truth hurts’ until I quit smoking.  The truth does hurt.  But running away from it hurts more.  It hurts your wellbeing, it hurts your relationships.

If you’re here and you’re quit you are a hero.  If you’re here and you’re still smoking you’re suffocating your inner hero and I hope someday it kicks your ash so you too can be free.

Throw the smokes OUT and do it now.  It’s the hardest thing I’ve ever done.  It’ll be the hardest thing you ever do.  Fact.  But all it takes is to just STOP doing something.  That’s it.  Stop smoking, don’t do it again and you’re done.  You’re alive.  Bite the bullet.  Take the pain.  Just do it.  Every other cliché for being a tough nut.  Go.

I never thought I’d reach day 6 and now still here approaching 600.  I love you all more than you know because you UNDERSTAND.  Keep the faith.

x T

Reading this thread: