Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Holidays

15 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It is all how you perceive it!

If you hit the malls this time of year ..you know they will be busy, so prepare yourself, get in and get out and sport a smile..it goes a long way!

Go with the flow with the relatives...prepare everything in advance and relax when the day comes.  Alleviate all the stress and enjoy yourself!

Josie, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 433 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Is my head up my %&#^?

Maybe I haven't been thinking seriously enough about the holidays. So far, it seems like a big relief to not be smoking! Out shopping, I'm not getting impatient with lines or malls because I'm craving a cig. Way better wrapping and getting things done without the time consuming smoke breaks. So far, I'm pretty darn happy! 

Anyone who has to deal with relatives... you have my sympathy. All those buttons get pushed all day long.
I'm lucky to not have family, just friends on Christmas. But family is lurking around on the days after Christmas.
Maybe I better get a plan.  Deep breathing and Two Buck Chuck. There. Plan in place.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/1/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 261
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 6,264
Amount Saved: $1,503.36
Life Gained:
Days: 31 Hrs: 22 Mins: 27 Seconds: 42

15 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Sparky!!

Thanks for the post!!  Lots to think about for those of us who will be going through our first holiday season as a non-smoker!   Have a great smoke-free holiday!!

Jim

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 288
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 7,200
Amount Saved: $1,188.00
Life Gained:
Days: 48 Hrs: 21 Mins: 25 Seconds: 8

• Quit Meter

$44,010.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1053 Hours: 5

Minutes: 39 Seconds: 44

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 303 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great post Sparky!!!  I always say that every challenge (A.K.A - Big time association) we overcome is one more conformation that we will never smoke again so Christmas will be the perfect opportunity to bring ourselves one step closer to where we want to be in our quit. 

So during this great time of the year remember, Non smokers deal with people like mean Aunt Betty too and Non smokers deal with holiday stress too.  So for the holidays I will get through by declaring that I am a Non smoker NOT an Ex smoker.  How about you? 

Mr Q

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/4/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 136
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,264
Amount Saved: $1,020.00
Life Gained:
Days: 14 Hrs: 14 Mins: 5 Seconds: 33

• Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 802 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nice post Sparky, and very timely too. 
I'm trying to go in to the holiday season not much differently than I've dealt with the last 300+ days - one day at a time.  We've been dealing with "firsts" all through the year, so I'm trying to see this in the same light.  I wrote in an earlier post that I am re-committing to my quit.  I just felt that I needed that reassurance, I kind of needed to say it out loud, and it felt darn good.  One day at a time seems to be working, so I'm stickin' with that. 

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/3/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 350
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 7,000
Amount Saved: $2,660.00
Life Gained:
Days: 37 Hrs: 2 Mins: 19 Seconds: 37

15 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sparky,

Thanks for this post... we're all in this together!  Members, wonderful ideas on getting through the holidays in your quit...anymore?

Karen, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 763 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is a good post, Sparky.  I had written in another post today that this is my first smoke free Christmas since 1982.
It still seems weird to me because I ALWAYS connected Christmas and smoking.  Parties, stress, wrapping presents, etc...all went with smoking. 
So I'm taking this holiday season a little low key this season.  We do plan on seeing family and friends, but just not in overabundance.  There are a lot of firsts for me this season.  I know I'll be OK, I just don't plan on letting my guard down.  My year is coming up next month.
I plan on being here at SSC over the holidays as well.
We'll do this together!!!!  Keep up the great work,  Sparky.

Jan

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/27/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 325
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 8,125
Amount Saved: $2,681.25
Life Gained:
Days: 37 Hrs: 0 Mins: 5 Seconds: 56

15 years ago 0 597 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Very timely, indeed.  I love your take on life to de-stress the holiday season, Rock.  And the signal for help is a good idea also, Moss!  Glad you posted this, Sparky!  Anxious1, I also will not let others know just how hard this quitting is---they might view me as 'weak'.  I do have my spouse to lean on, most of the time.  But it's a whole lot easier emotionally to log on here and whine.  You guys aren't going to throw it up in my face, and even if you did, I don't know you, so, hey....  There is safety here in our anonymity! 
Now, to answer your question, Sparky, I haven't really thought of what I can put in place  to make it through the holidays and the stress it brings.  But, I am not going to smoke no matter how mad my family makes me.  Homocide is a possibility, but I won't smoke!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/22/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 56
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,240
Amount Saved: $448.00
Life Gained:
Days: 6 Hrs: 4 Mins: 30 Seconds: 38

• Quit Meter

$52,010.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 699 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 10

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 967 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The only ones that ever knew I was struggling was everybody on this site.  I never let anybody else know how horrible I was feeling.  I was embarressed at how a cig had such control over my life.  My side of the family contained no smokers, I was the only one.  My husbands family has the smokers, and they were anything but considerate during my quit.  I needed to find a way to help myself, and I found self talk.  I really thought I was losing my mind at times and that is when I sought out help on the net and found the SSC.  If there is anybody that you can trust that is close to you, lean on them.  I wish I had that at times.  This site is just as good as any for me, but to this day I still sneak on here, my husband has no idea. 

Holidays are meant to be a wonderful time, we most of the time forget that.  It was so magical when we were children, then you grow up and its a big ball of stress.  I hope everyone learns to step back and enjoy the season (amidst the colds and flus that it always brings)..Merry whatever holiday you celebrate to everyone.

Kelly

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/6/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 377
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 11,310
Amount Saved: $1,413.75
Life Gained:
Days: 30 Hrs: 17 Mins: 25 Seconds: 58

15 years ago 0 649 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sparky....

My extended family contains a lot of smokers so Holidays and other family get togethers are always interesting.  Over the last year I have dealt with these in a few different ways.  Usually I would just remove myself from the room for a period if I felt I needed an out.  My wife was always great about sensing that I was getting bad cravings and would help me escape if I needed to.  

If you are struggling this season I would suggest asking for help from your spouse, family member, friend, etc.  Have a signal or some form of communication that you need a hand at ant given moment.  Last year at Christmas my wife sensed I was cracking, ( was about 1 month in to quitting )just came to me on the other side of the room, said she needed my help in the kitchen.  We took a short walk, I regrouped and was able to get through the rest of the evening.  That was one thing that worked for me around a lot of smokers.

Enlist the help of someone who loves you.  Holidays can be full of triggers.

Sparky......good idea to bring this up right now.  Glad you are doing alright.

Moss

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/19/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 394
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 5,910
Amount Saved: $1,329.75
Life Gained:
Days: 63 Hrs: 9 Mins: 2 Seconds: 26

Reading this thread: