Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

DEEP CLEANING AT THE DENTIST

15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks to both of you, and Mr Ed thanks for giving me some hope, I do intend to work real hard in getting my gums back to normality and healthy again.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 150
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,750
Amount Saved: $2,250.00
Life Gained:
Days: 17 Hrs: 16 Mins: 7 Seconds: 16

15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Karren,

Thank you for sharing your experience and how smoking is definitely attributed to dental problems and gum disease. I am sure it helps many not only to appreciate an added benefit of quitting but also to ensure they are getting regular dental check ups to avoid any scary tooth loss.

Congrats on terrific looking teeth..............surely you will be smiling more often now!

Faryal, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 5009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
KARREN,

2 Years ago, my dentist advised me that I had a serious gum disease problem (caused mainly by smoking). at that time, I believed that I would lose a lot of my teeth. However, 2 years later, smoke free and following the dentist's advice, I'm now in possession of healthy gums. Good Luck with your teeth!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 2/13/2006
Smoke-Free Days: 967
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 29,010
Amount Saved: �7,615.13
Life Gained:
Days: 157 Hrs: 15 Mins: 42 Seconds: 16

15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
For all those with dental phobia (me included) this is a cautionary tale! Today my dentist had to do deep cleaning under anasaethetic, as due to my 37 yrs+ of smoking my gums have receeded and the sensitivity is now too much for me to bear cleaning without pain relief.
I also have one or two loose teeth and again the bone loss is attributed to smoking.
The good news is the dentist and the hygenist feel that with regular deep professional cleans and my contributions in between the teeth can be saved and the gums may even recover.
They have removed all the staining and they look terrific even if they are incredibly sore at this moment and I am still numb in parts.

The cautionary part of this tale is the dentist and hygenist told me had I not stopped smoking they wouldn't have planned such an intense prevention programme as continued smoking would just make all this intense cleaning treatments a waste of both their time and mine.
And I, at just 51 yrs old, would have probably lost most, if not all, of my teeth to gum disease- what a frightening thought.
There are many other things to consider that are a direct result of smoking beside the obvious, teeth and gums being one of them.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 150
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,750
Amount Saved: $2,250.00
Life Gained:
Days: 17 Hrs: 15 Mins: 44 Seconds: 5

Reading this thread: