Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,671 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MNJD, kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ

a small victory

15 years ago 0 375 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Belle!

I also am so sorry about your job.  That happened to me too last year (but not through email-- Good God!  Who are these people!?), and I used that opportunity to start my own company..... and that attracted another agency who asked if I'd be interested in doing another job on the side.  Both jobs have turned out to be my dream jobs as well..... I also believe that when one door closes, another (usually way cooler door) opens.

As for not thinking about smoking-- that is a huge milestone.  I'm not quite there yet, but do go many hours now without thinking about smoking at all.  It's so encouraging to read about someone who has reached that.  You are doing an amazing job despite the stress, and I am so happy for you. 
Deb

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/18/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 17
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 408
Amount Saved: $122.40
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 18 Mins: 21 Seconds: 43

15 years ago 0 90 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks everyone!  I couldn't have gotten here without all of you!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/19/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 77
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 924
Amount Saved: $242.55
Life Gained:
Days: 6 Hrs: 7 Mins: 32 Seconds: 43

15 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Love the way you toughed that rotten one out, Belle!  Well done...

patrick

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/18/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 230
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 5,750
Amount Saved: $2,587.50
Life Gained:
Days: 42 Hrs: 18 Mins: 45 Seconds: 51

15 years ago 0 433 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Belle,
That is truly a milestone to have not thought of a cigarette after hearing the news. Isn't it amazing how fast our minds adapt? Good for you!!! You have become a non smoker! 

I'm very sorry you had to learn of your job status via email. Cretins! I hope that you are able to find another company that appreciates your talents very soon.
(((Also, just thought of this... being a nonsmoker may be of benefit in your possible future job search. Many companies don't even hire smokers these days... you may have given yourself a boost in the job market. ))))

Keep doing what you are doing and congratulations. 

HP

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/1/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 156
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,744
Amount Saved: $898.56
Life Gained:
Days: 19 Hrs: 2 Mins: 20 Seconds: 49

15 years ago 0 967 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Belle, that is so great.  I remember the first time that happened to me, I almost started crying I was so happy.  I actually, like you, had come here to post about it.  It is a wonderful feeling.  I am so glad for you.  Hang on to that, it will get you through.

Kelly

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/6/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 273
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 8,190
Amount Saved: $1,023.75
Life Gained:
Days: 22 Hrs: 6 Mins: 1 Seconds: 51

15 years ago 0 24 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Belle I'm so sorry about your loss...but when one door closes another one opens.  BUT!!!  Look at the test you passed!!!  I'm so proud of you and I don't even know you!  Look at the strength you have in yourself.  This will be a tough time for you I'm sure.  When my hubby's place cut back things were tough, but he got another job after 3 months that he LOVES!!!  I've never seen him so happy in his job...so I'll pray that's what will be in store for you girl.

Irish

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/28/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 7
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 140
Amount Saved: $30.45
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 0 Mins: 38 Seconds: 24

15 years ago 0 71 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Belle
 Great job, by the way Allen Carr say's it okay to think about it but everytime you have to end it with glad I am a non smoker. You know that smoking would change the job. They aren't giving it back and it's not going to make it easier. Sorry to here that you are losing your job. Companies don't have to much loyalty anymore. The bottom line is what they are loyal to. DJ

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 9/4/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 0
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 0
Amount Saved: $0.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 1 Mins: 25 Seconds: 24

15 years ago 0 1153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Belle,

Congratulations on staying strong and making it through this tough time. We're sorry to hear about your job but very happy that you know smoking won't make it any better. Take some time to reward yourself for fighting through the urge to smoke.

Brenna, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 289 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
First off I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your job and learning about it online really sucks! That was no small victory you had yesterday it was a very HUGE victory with that kind of stress and seeing her with her smokes out it could have been so easy to have talked yourself into "just one" junkie thinking but you didn't fall into the "just one" pit. Congratulations Belle.
Lisa

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/30/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 158
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 6,320
Amount Saved: $695.20
Life Gained:
Days: 17 Hrs: 6 Mins: 45 Seconds: 56

15 years ago 0 90 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 So, one of the things that I have done throughout my quit is think of things that would give me an excuse to start smoking again...well, yesterday I had one of those that would have been the perfect excuse  (at least according to the junkie in me!).  I, along with many coworkers, read on line yesterday that our company is eliminating our office and therefore our jobs.  Yes, we read it online (its actually an unbelievable company screwup...you can read about it on adage.com if you're interested).  Anyhow, a couple of hours after we read the article I was chatting with my former smoking buddy and noticed she had a cigarette and lighter in her hand....and here is the victory part...at that moment I realized that I hadn't even THOUGHT about a cigarette until I saw hers.  For me, that is HUGE.  I have spent the past 11 weeks wondering when cigarettes would be out of my mind.  While I thought about having one the rest of the day, I didn't because  I took such pride in those couple of stressful hours that I didn't think about them. That gave me the boost I needed to not pick up a cigarette.  While I know smoking will be on my mind for a long time to come, I'll hang on to this moment for as long as I can.  So, to all those that often feel they can never stop thinking about smoking....it can happen!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/19/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 77
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 924
Amount Saved: $242.55
Life Gained:
Days: 6 Hrs: 7 Mins: 4 Seconds: 0

Reading this thread: