Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,476 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

Pandoras Box

16 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nicely said Aloha!! My box held allot of pain, rejection, hurt and unwarented guilt. By not numbing it with cigarettes, I found that I never really did have the power or ability to have avoided those events in my life anyway. Nothing would have been any different.....with cigarettes or without. Mery [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 367 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,340 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,640.49 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 48 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
16 years ago 0 1160 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Gracefully said Aloha. So true. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/4/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 202 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,040 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $808.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 27 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Interesting, bear I think that many smokers dont even entertain the thought that they would be opening Pandora's box. I know I surely didn't. I thought it was just about smoking or not smoking. I met someone last week who told me, "I like smoking. When I don't like it anymore, I will stop." I laughed...right in his face, and said, "Spoken like a true addict. You know that's not true." He looked a little chagrined and said, "Yeah, I guess I am, but I just don't want to stop." I think for many of us when we are in the midst of the addiction we think of only the substance, or lack thereof, and we ignore, as much as possible, all those things inside the box that the smoking covers up - the fears, the feelings of inadequacy, the desire to fit in, the longing for joy. These are things that we uncover as this journey goes along, but is usually hard to get across to someone locked in to the addiction. Discovering the tarnished bits as we delve deeper into the box allows us to finally catch glimpses, and if some of the old timers are to be believed, finally see the shining truth of who we were meant to be. As we go through this non smoking journey, we keep lifting the lid and digging through the contents of Pandora's box. So many surprises, and as you said, Moss..some ugly, some beautiful. But definitely worth the risk. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 306 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 12,240 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,080.80 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 43 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bear, Great post! Very true that quitting can bring many issues to surface. Luckily, there's a great group to help you along :) Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 649 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Indeed Bear. My guess is the box holds a bit of ugly and a bit of beautiful. The sorting through of both is the interesting part. Sometimes it can be painful and sometimes exhilarating. Good post Bear and great food for thought. Gratitude Moss [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]11/19/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 64 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 960 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $216.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
16 years ago 0 1160 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great post Bear, I love it when you make me think! I agree. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/4/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 202 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,040 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $808.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 27 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
16 years ago 0 1698 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
For many quitting smoking is akin to opening Pandoras Box. So what is it that prevents us from opening the box to see whats inside. Fear appears to be one of the reasons.Maintaining the status quo or lets not rock the boat another.So we have formed an alliance with smoking to help us survive in an imperfect world. But what is this alliance realy providing us with ? At best a illusion of reality and a coverup for our own inabilitys to deal with the real world. At its worst a very physicaly unhealth existance ending in an untimly and possably painful death.Now I know already somebodys going to tell me about a grandparent who lived to be 110 and smoked all their life and I say do you want to take that chance ? So getting back to Pandoras Box why don,t we open it up and see whats inside.Oh it may prove to be be rather ugly and unpleasant but it may also prove to be quite beautiful and pleasant.Either way it has to be better than a life of addiction. ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/20/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 308 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,544 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,080.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 74 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48

Reading this thread: