Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Really a Chain of Habits

16 years ago 0 3541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Doodles! How were your first couple of nekkid days? I hope you feel wonderful & you got yourself an awesome reward! Aloha's advice is great, as always. If she were a bird, sho would be am owl! I would only add that for those high emotion craves or thoughts, when you are so in the moment that you can't think clearly enough to go through that process, so what you did when you smoked only without the smoking. So, take yourself away from the situation, distract yourself until you can think clearly & calmly. Breathe in through your nose & out through your mouth. Then, be prepared to actually FEEL that emotion the way we were meant to. It can be kind of scary because it's new to us but if you let yourself feel what you were meant to, you will be amazed at how liberating it is and how much at ease you feel with yourself. You're doing great, doodles. Keep it up! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 141 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,820 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,551.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So true mercy Doodles, Every time you think of smoking do some thinking about it. Why now? What have I thought in the past a cig would do for me in this particular situation? Then replace the thought with a different one. Like, when you finish a task and think of a cig; Oh yeah, that's right, I used to reward myself with a cig when I finished something. Well, this time I'll reward myself with a glass of iced tea, a phone call to a friend, 10 minutes of reading, etc. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 193 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,720 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,312.40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 27 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
16 years ago 0 695 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
mercy great posy.. any insight to getting past some of these triggers or habits??? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 37 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 740 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $111.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
16 years ago 0 1160 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mercy, congratulations on the Hall of Fame. You are deserving. Posts like this one are very helpful to new and old quitters. Did you see your picture on my porch? [IMG]http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc51/pollyepierce/cooltext66182839.jpg[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/4/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 89 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,780 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $356.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
16 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I got to thinking today...(yep goats do think) The first part of quiting is the addiciton...no doubt. But after the nicotine thing, it becomes a mental battle. If it was just about the nicotine we could all supply the nicotine via a different method. We could chew the gum...wear the patches or suck on those nicotine candies. Still....people who use them fail. Why...because of the mental addition. A friend complained about how hard it was to stop chewing her nails!! Ya right...booo hoooo.....she should try quiting smoking. That's a real habit to give up. Then...then...then.. it occured to me that we are quiting hundreds of habits all at once we call "triggers". We have the habit of smoking in our cars....after breaks... after meals...when we need to think and so on and so forth. We really are breaking habits not just the nicotine. So.. think about the habits you are breaking all at once and be patient with yourself. They will be mastered one at a time. We aren't just giving up one habit...but several even though they are all connected to cigarettes. Just a thought. Great job to everyone. Mercy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 253 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,060 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,130.91 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 33 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54

Reading this thread: