Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

A word to the wise

16 years ago 0 1040 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Golferman, all the best to your friend. I know how hard it is to take that first step into the non-smoking abyss. Such a fearful prospect is it for some, that the grave can seem less intimidating. Tobbacco addiction... it's a powerful and destructive thing, and we're fortunate to have found our way out. My girlfriend is presently wrestling with the prospect of quitting, and I know that there's little I can say that will propel her over her fears, but I know that what I've done in quitting has inspired her. She thinks about it a great deal now, and she often mentions how much she wants to take that step. And she will. Once she resigns herself to what she knows it will take... she'll quit. Aloha, LOL!! No... as much as that little voice in the back of our minds wants us to believe that we'll die without a smoke... we don't, do we? Quite the opposite. We begin to live, more fully than we have for many years. Mercy, yes... those phrases scare me too... because more is required, usually. It's an all or nothing proposition, and when we realize that and adjust accordingly... we win the war. Lainey, thanks for that. I've always had a problem with Dentists... and I'm seeing one tomorrow morning. I'm going to remember what you said. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 96 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,400 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $888.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
16 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Words of Wisdom from the Wise, Lamplighter! It is all so true. Plus, the longer you put off trying to quit, the more you build up how hard it is going to be for yourself, and guess what? You create your own hardship. Quitting smoking does not have to be hard. It is like going to the dentist. If you tell yourself up front that it's gonna hurt, it will hurt. If you tell yourself it's just a temporary discomfort, that's all it will be....get the picture? :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 97 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,425 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,023.35 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
16 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When I hear phrases like I'll give it a shot...or I'll see what happens.....or the maybe word....in...."maybe I can do it this time"....or.....think I might be able to do it this time.... Terms like that make me cringe. It's like going out to do battle with half your ammunition on you. Mercy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 140 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,800 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $625.80 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 18 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So true Lamplighter..all of it I have noticed time and again that the way I deal with an urge determines how painful or "bad" it is. If I acknowledge it and reaffirm my intention to not smoke, it might not go away immediately, but I can then go on about my life, with a few deep breaths maybe,and occasionally a little yell, but I don't die. The only really bad cravings I have had were the ones where I just sat at the table and FELT them, focused on them rather than whatever else it was I wanted to do. Those times I built the craves up in my mind to be just SO BAD. They did eventually go away, and I didn't die. I waited a long time to quit for good, because I always told myself I couldn't do it after a few failed attempts. I was afraid of the cravings and afraid I would fail. This time is different. I got ready for it, took my medicine, and got excited about it. You have to want it. Period. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 80 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,200 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $544.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
16 years ago 0 563 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lamplighter, True, true words! Waiting for that special moment or time in your life is like waiting for eternity to arrive. It won't happen! Take the bull by the horns and get on with it! A friend of mine had a wake up call at the age of 51... a heart attack. Mild, yes, but his heart is damaged none the less. That was about 2 months ago. Now he's being treated for prostate cancer! And he's still smoking!! Still struggling!! He is on Chantix, but is fighting it every step of the way! I keep telling him to just pull the plug! The man has an 8 yr old son who he won't see graduate high school unless he cleans up his act! I'll tell you Lamplighter, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink! I hope everyone here gets your message.. just do it!! As for my friend, I pray I won't attend his funeral. [b][color=Purple]Be Strong. Be Smart. Be Quit[/color] [color=black]Joe[/color] [size=3][color=Blue]Knowledge Replaces Fear[/color][/size] [size=2][color=purple]Hoping for success without hard work is like trying to harvest without planting.[/color][/size] [size=2][color=black]Illegitimus non carborundum est[/color][/size][/b] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/15/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 755 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 18,875 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,849.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 135 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
  • Quit Meter

$36,301.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9759 Hours: 21

Minutes: 28 Seconds: 51

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the great post! Danielle ______________________ The SSC Support Team
16 years ago 0 1040 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
If you're thinking about quitting, or you've made the decision to quit... remember, quitting happens with your last cig, but adjusting to it usually takes a long time (several months...even years). Go into this with your eyes open and be prepared to do what it takes. If you're quitting "until" or "unless"... that usually amounts to postponing the next cigarette... and your chances of success in quitting long-term are very limited. Don't set conditions on what you're willing to go through. Your quit has to be the priority, regardless of what comes. And, ironically, the pain you fear having to experience through the quit process... is then most likely to be alleviated. If you're willing to face the pain and stay quit... the pain will almost always be less. If you're unwilling to deal with the pain... the pain increases. You see...quitting smoking... is a whole lot like the rest of life. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 95 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,375 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $878.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0

Reading this thread: