Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Understand your Anger

17 years ago 0 1040 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for a very moving post, Mercy. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 56 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,408 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $518 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ed YOU CANTANKEROUS? Never! Neigh !......... Phil [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 266 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,857 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �1396.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 53 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
17 years ago 0 5009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great post Mercy! A lot of quitters have problems with anger management. Some of the younger quitters here probably see me as 'Mr Ed who posts the stats'. Some of the older ones may recall that I could be a cantankerous old horse who often vented his anger at other quitters over quitting issues or fell foul of the mods on several occasions. Now I recognise that much of this anger was directly related to quitting itself. I'm a lot calmer now, but I still have my moments :eg: Mr Ed :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 442 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 13,266 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �3315 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 72 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 37 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
17 years ago 0 2670 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
mercy great post thanks for sharing lynnexx [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/24/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 188 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,833 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �752 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
  • Quit Meter

$113,535.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6491 Hours: 16

Minutes: 30 Seconds: 38

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 220 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You hit it right on the head, many of us used cigi's to bury feelings, emotions, or just hide away time, it was our illusionary crutch through life. It just shows us how horrible this addiction is, Ive got my boxing gloves ready to beat it down, all the best jeanigirl [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 35 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $9.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
17 years ago 0 1115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great post Mercy! Not cravin', never cavin'. Hummy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/5/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 725 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 29,023 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4712.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 94 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
  • Quit Meter

$472,305.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5382 Hours: 11

Minutes: 46 Seconds: 53

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 848 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great post Mercy. I completely see what you are saying. Esp. the part about knowing the enemy. I keep saying it's been a pretty easy path for me this time around - but I know that's all at the surface. It hasn't completely sunk in to my subconscious yet (hmmm maybe that explains some of the dreams :confuse:) and I worry about the future. THAT is why I keep reading and posting and doing other internet research. We need to better understand nicotine, addiction, the tobacco companies, etc... until the knowledge sinks in and we can use the anger productively to banish the junkie thoughts. Because we do need to know at all levels of our being that cigarettes are the enemy not our friends like we thought they were. Again, great post! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/29/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 32 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 391 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $130.56 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
  • Quit Meter

$119,552.36

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6402 Hours: 1

Minutes: 57 Seconds: 37

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you for sharing! Understanding this addiction and what it can do, can move you forward in your journey. Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.
17 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thinking again. I know for SURE.... for me...I have covered, masked, escaped and evaded hurtful issues in my life with smoking. Most of my smoking was really a private thing for me. The first 17 years of smoking was done as a closet smoker. IT WAS MY TIME...in secret to deal with what ever the day held. Often I waited till evening to go for a drive and vent the days fustrations on three or four cigarettes in a row!!! When I came out of the closet and began to smoke out in the open I carried over this passion for personal time with "my cigarettes" alone. For me the quiet alone time at home has been my BIGGEST..BIGGEST TRIGGER! So, I too felt that anger many quitters say they feel. Here I was deep into my quit when I realized I would not succesfully quit till I delt with the anger I felt for being decieved. I saw that ANGER ITSELF WAS A TRIGGER!!! THAT'S A HUGE REVELATION FOR ME!!!!!!I had to understand my anger to continue to heal from this addiction. Why was I angry? First, was MY ALONE TIME GOT INFRINDGED on by quiting. I was angry. My day off from work...alone in my pretty quiet house in the woods....WAS MINE AND MY CIGARETTES TIME. How dare the dangers of cigarettes take that away from me. Second, was issues surfacing that I now couldn't make better with smoking. How unfair was that??? I knew that cigarettes didn't mend the hurts and knocks in life....but I did know they were "my great escape". So without the cigarettes....where is the magic pill to replace what cigarettes did? Till I realized that MY TIME is still my time.... and that I was escaping life via a death sentence did the addiction begin to make more sense. Why would I want to mend, heal and escape via death? I had been lied to by a powerful drug. Is it a lack of self worth that we sentence ourselves to death to smoke... or is it purely addiction? I don't know. I do know... that in any battle you need to "know your enemy". No one fights an enemy they love!!!! It's either an enemy or not. The more I understood what my enemy, not my friend, was doing to me the better stradegy I had. The biggest battles in history were won with a strong stratigic defense. You need to know your enemy and it's every move. Our anger is justified. It is a rightful anger and o.k.

Reading this thread: