Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,509 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise

The Stress Myth

14 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
bump

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 1032
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 25,800
Amount Saved: $10,887.60
Life Gained:
Days: 136 Hrs: 14 Mins: 49 Seconds: 26

16 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well - I have to admit that I was a little cranky without my fix (especially after supper) BUT I do remember getting really edgy when shopping, when trying to get out of the office, when running late with someone in the car because I was dying for my fix. When I stopped smoking, lineups in the grocery store, working a little late, driving with a non-smoker - no more stress! Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 231 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,634 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1155 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 22 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
16 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Much to my surprise, and also a huge surprise to the people closest to me - I am NOT moody, ready to throw a fit etc etc which seems to be what other's expect when you stop smoking. It had the opposite effect on me - especially in the last week. I feel so in control. Stopping smoking has actually calmed me down. I now don't get all wigged out over the everyday stresses and yes, when a bigger stress comes along, sure I do think of smoking..BUT it's a fleeting thought! Just the other day when I stepped down on the patch and I was in a major fog and feeling confused, Danielle told me that I should expect this because nicotine is a stimulant. She was so right on the money with that and I think that without the stimulant it's calmed me down a lot. I also feel that because I'm making more "ME" time and nurturing myself and making sure I'm number ONE instead of number 199 on the tree of life it has also contributed to my calm and relaxed feeling. Time for a nap now ? hehe.... J xo [IMG]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/Monica58/thumbsup-1.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/4/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 26 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 666 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $266.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
16 years ago 0 848 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jean, you said exactly what I was trying to say! Of course there are still stresses in my life, but I seem to handle them better these days. And it feels so good, even when I am getting fed up with something or someone (my kids, perhaps? :gasp:) when I realize that not too long ago I'd need to escape for a smoke and now I don't even want to! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/29/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 32 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 395 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $130.56 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
  • Quit Meter

$119,541.83

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6401 Hours: 11

Minutes: 35 Seconds: 58

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 911 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for sharing your experience Freemom. I was also a closet smoker (with the exception of smoking around my husband and very closest friends) and I totally agree with you about some of the stress being reduced. I also am enjoying many of the freedoms of not having to take all of that effort to hide my nasty habit. Now, I too can smell cigarettes from halfway across the room on a smoker. I must have been crazy to think that perfumes and lotion could cover that smell. It has been wonderful to leave this burden behind....plus, as you stated the health benefits are amazing! I do still have some craves related to stress. I have noticed that after a little argument with my hubby, I think about smoking. We are both quitting, and at times are a little grouchy. I have found myself thinking that a smoke would help relieve the stress because that is always what I relied on before. Well, I don't rely on smokes anymore.....and after the crave passes, I feel great about doing something so great for myself. I'm sure that this will get better over time also. I love being able to walk without coughing, my sinus problems have improved tremendously, and I'm just physically feeling better. I am also really enjoying my new sense of smell and taste. I guess my next hurdle will be taking off a few of the pounds that have arrived as a result of my new sense of taste. But for now, I can live with that. Boxerfan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 32 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 593 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $136 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
17 years ago 0 848 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have noticed something. This past month I've been much calmer. Granted, I've been nurturing myself and my quit, but... Well, my kids act up as much as ever, husband is out of town, I still hate having to plan & cook dinner, my house is still a mess, my birthday is coming up, my parents just came back from Florida (I have a rough relationship with my mom - she's hyper-critical!) And yet, I'm not stressing and losing my cool as much! Huh? I'm supposed to be anxious, grumpy, and extra stressed while quitting, aren't I? As I thought about it, I realized that smoking CREATED so much extra stress in my life. When to get cigs and who might see me? (I was a closet smoker) Where to smoke - never in house or car, hubby, kids, friends might smell it? Do I have cash on me or need to go to bank or can I scrounge up enough change? Do I have mouthwash/gum? Lotion, perfume and/or hairspray to cover the smell? Did someone see me smoking? I need to get cigs - what excuse can I use to go out alone? Are the kids occupied enough for me to sneak outside or to garage to have one? If they look out window, will they see me? Hubby is off and we're going out for day - gotta find excuse to run outside or get him on errand so I can sneak a cig first. You get the picture. So, once the initial discomfort of not smoking has passed, WOW life has LESS everyday stresses. My habit was contributing to the stresses. In fact, I was subconsciously creating some of the stresses so I could feed my addiction. No, my life isn't perfect now, I still have stress and issues to deal with and lots of stuff I want and don't have. But I'm handling it all better. I'm dealing with stuff, gradually. I feel so much more free. I never before considered how much extra time and energy smoking cost me, never mind the health issues. Here's a nice thought. Maybe someday enough smokers will have quit that the tobacco companies go out of business and smoking will be a thing of the past. And future generations will say, hey can you believe people used to do that stuff? Wouldn't that be nice? (Hey we can dream right?) I just wanted to share this - hopefully this perspective will help some other quitters. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/29/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 31 [B]Cigarettes
  • Quit Meter

$119,541.83

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6401 Hours: 11

Minutes: 35 Seconds: 58

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 220 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey freemom and boxerfan, i too was a closet smoker, it really is hard work and very stressful living that lie, I even walked 4 miles in a friggin blizzard to get them darn cigi,s so my hubby would not find out, NO MORE, your quits look so beautiful, what to do with all that time and energy.. all the best jeanigirl [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 35 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $9.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
freemom, You have helped greatly by sharing! The extra time and the mental awareness we gain is invaluable! Take that extra time and do something for yourself, those dishes can wait! Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: