Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Triggers

17 years ago 0 1155 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Seriously Tutti - you are an incredible writer! Your descriptions provided such vivid images to me and the way you expressed your experiences had me nodding "yes". I think you've found yourself a new career! Watch out- now we have high expectations for all of your posts! ;p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 51 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,804 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $331.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
  • Quit Meter

$1,135,350.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5540 Hours: 13

Minutes: 2 Seconds: 50

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 232 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nice post, Tutti, and right on the money. Funny you mention your dad. I have had similar experiences with my parents and smells that bring them back so close I feel like I could close my eyes and touch them. Which is why, ever since my girls were born, I have worn a commonly-available aftershave. When I'm long gone, they will get a whiff, somewhere, sometime...and I'll be there for them. Legend [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 50 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 303 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $62.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
17 years ago 0 848 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What a great post Tutti! What you wrote makes so much sense. The corollary to it, though, is that sometimes you can "write over" that memory when it gets associated with something else. And that is how we overcome the triggers for smoking, by creating new routines, patterns and coping mechanisms, until eventually it becomes natural. By the way, for someone who says she can't write, you were quite eloquent! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/29/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 18 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 222 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $73.44 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
  • Quit Meter

$119,552.36

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6402 Hours: 1

Minutes: 40 Seconds: 35

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 925 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tutti, Today (and always)you are an excellent writer. You've captured exactly how I feel about triggers but could not express in words. [quote] Now, when I wake up and everything seems perfect, my mind goes right back to that huge tree, those violets, and how perfectly content I was being there. [/quote] You weren't alone under that tree...I was with you and I think there are others who share that "perfect" feeling. For me, that feeling is the same as the freedom I feel as a non smoker. :) Pat [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 78 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,138 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1092 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
  • Quit Meter

$121,075.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 964 Hours: 9

Minutes: 56 Seconds: 57

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Not a writer????? You just took us thru all the seasons, with sights and sounds and smells so real.......... But right on the money Tutti! Excellent post! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 42 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,061 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $443.1 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
17 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you for sharing tutti.. I can relate with you on so many levels, various triggers... You expressed it perfectly ! J xo [IMG]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/Monica58/thumbsup-1.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/4/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 12 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 306 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $123 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
17 years ago 0 357 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tutti, Well said and thanks for sharing. Even though you have many triggers that cause sadness over the loss of your dad, I think it is wonderful that he was such a special person in your life that you have so many memories. Dupe [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/11/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 35 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 538 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $112 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
17 years ago 0 672 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You are right on the money, well put Tutti. This is exactly how it is ! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 834 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 20,871 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $5421 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 120 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
  • Quit Meter

$12,502.56

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 625 Hours: 14

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 54

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good post Tutti. Thanks for sharing! Danielle _____________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 932 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm not a writer at all but something happened today, and after I was over the initial shock, I began thinking about things. We've had several posts here lately, including mine, about what causes cravings, urges, or memories of smoking so far along in our quits. We've wondered what type of addiction this is, Physical/Mental, AFTER the nicotine is out of our bodies. I've wondered about it myself and have come to the conclusion that the human brain is so complicated. Lord only knows why some things are brought to the front of our memories, causing a physical reaction in some way. My Dad passed away 7 years ago due to complications from Diabetes and heart disease. Right after he passed away, for months and months, maybe even years, I would hear a sound, smell a fragrance, hear someone say something that Dad use to say, and I'd break down into tears. Anyone who's lost a loved one knows exactly what I'm talking about. Today, seven years later and right out of the blue, it happened again. I ran down to the general store (Yes, the little town I live in actually has a general store) and while I was in the store, there it was... That fragrance of a hair product mostly used by older men called Brilliantine. Dad used it for as long as I can remember. That fragrance took my mind to Dad and a lifetime of memories of him. Then came those tears in my eyes to where I couldn't blink or I'd give myself away that I was actually crying in public. I got that lump in my throat and my chin started to quiver. My Dad, his life, the times we had together, the fact that I no longer have him, and damn it I want him here, came flooding back to me. A fragrance caused this to happen. That fragrance was a TRIGGER for me but it triggered me to long for my Dad. That's how the mind works. I can look at a pink buttercup and instantly think about Easter. When I was a kid, I'd walk home from school and see the pink buttercups in bloom, the weather warm and sunny, and it was always in April when I spotted those buttercups. To this day, those pink buttercups trigger me to think of Easter then I get excited, happy, and flat out giddy. Funny how the mind works. Falling leaves not only trigger me to think of Fall coming but it's a huge trigger for me that Halloween will be

Reading this thread: