Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,489 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

The Whole Enchilada

17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lookingglass, It's not selfish if everyone benefits from your wonderful posts :) Danielle _____________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 1040 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks, Nonic! We've all got something to add to the recovery mix. I come in here every day and look for what I need to help me in my journey as a recovering nic addict. And there's always lots here! :) Mom, ...Deal! :) Danielle, I have to admit, the biggest benefit I get from posting here is selfish. It helps me to stay smoke-free. But... I know that none of you will mind that too much. LOL! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 19 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 492 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $175.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lookingglass, Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. Smoking is for most an escape or avoidance behavior and for many requires some soul searching and changes in lifestyle. As you continue on your journey, I would remind everyone that changes in lifestyle don't happen over night. They take time & practice so keep persevering and take it one step at a time. Danielle _______________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 969 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lookingglass, You are so STRONG to have overcome all that you have! Stick around, and you will overcome this one, too! We will help you, and you can help us! Deal or no deal? :quest: LOL [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 39 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,189 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $189.15 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
17 years ago 0 813 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Looking Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts here. I can see that you have been down many roads and with faith and effort have managed to emerge a stonger person. You are very correct when you mention that our addiction is woven into our lives. That is the reason that it is so difficult to stop. People who have never been addicted to nicotine in this way do not understand that this journey is much more than NOT DOING SOMETHING (smoking). It is more about effecting changes that allow us not to WANT to do something. That represents an entire attitude and emotional make over... Its good to know that you are here my friend, you have a very deep understanding of addiction and your insights will help many of us as we stumble down this road... nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 90 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,174 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $630 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
17 years ago 0 1040 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm an addict. No, not just a nicotine/smoking addict. Actually, the smoking was the least destructive of my addictions and that was probably the reason that it's the last to be dealt with. For the last 19 years I've been mostly free of my other addictions (with one major stumble). In 1988 I entered seriously into recovery from alcoholism and drug addiction. You've all seen the guy living on the street, sleeping in doorways with a bag tucked under his coat? Well, that was me. Between booze, barbituates and tranquilizers I had pretty much stopped living entirely. I had no job, no family and no future. I had given up on any chance that things would ever change or ever get better. I had made peace with the idea that I would die that way. Or at least I thought I had. But then I came to a crossroads. I was dying. I knew that my time was up. I had to choose between my fear of death and my fear of life... and I chose life. With a lot of help I entered into a program of recovery... I started at the beginning and I learned how to live, from the ground up. One of the key things I learned was that my life had to support my recovery. It's not enough to just 'quit' doing the things that are killing us. That's part of it, but the rest of my life has to change as well. If I'm making choices that constantly throw my emotions and relationships into chaos, it's unlikely that I'll be able to maintain my recovery. My recovery will be as healthy and as secure as the weakest areas of my life... whether in terms of relationships, self-image, my ability to distinguish and accept what is out of my control, selfishness, resentment... or other. Addiction isn't a compartmentalized feature of my life. It's effects and it's existance is woven throughout my life, my relationships, my environment, my perspectives and my attitudes. My addiction to smoking is no different, and I think we see the truth of that in what many of the 'long-timers' have to say about their experience. The one's who have maintained long-term recovery, and who are most happy with their transition from smokers to non-smokers... who are at peace with their lives and their identities... didn't just stop smoking. In many respects they changed their lives and their approach to living. They developed their

Reading this thread: