Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,667 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MNJD, kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ

17 years ago 0 1150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My kids are ages 8 and 11. The eldest is more cognizant of the dangers of my smoking. In one sense I feel guilty that I am completely attributing my power to try to quit smoking at this time to my sense of obligation to them (to not actively contribute to my possible dying through a terminal illness secondary to cigarettes, to not model to them that it would be OK for them to take this smoking monkey on their back). I feel bad about doing this, but I also feel that at least it is a life saver ring - something to grab on to. My brain has foresaken me by convincing me that I can not believe any other reason to quit smoking. I believe all the dangers and benefits, but can't find myself to care. So I will cling to doing this for my kids in the expectation that in doing so, and quiting along the way, that everything else will fall in place.
17 years ago 0 2670 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I understand , matia, in my case, my momo has been nagging me to give up for years, but i wasn't ready to. Anyway, it is a great post. thank you lynnexx [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/24/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 14 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 221 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �56 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
  • Quit Meter

$113,585.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6494 Hours: 10

Minutes: 45 Seconds: 21

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations on giving your daughter the best gift ever! Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 57 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,158 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $285 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
17 years ago 0 123 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Friends, Today my daughter turned 21 years of age and it really hit home when she said, "The greatest birthday present that you gave me was the fact that you have stopped smoking and are keeping your quit, and I'm real proud of you". It makes me wonder how I didn't see it sooner, the anger my children would feel if I died from a smoking related illness and my selfshiness robbed them of their mother seeing them graduate from college, getting married, having children of their own, being there when they needed me. And if you asked me, I would say, I would never hurt my children, NOT me... but I did. Even smoking around them at times... telling them I don't know how to quit when they asked me to... Smoking all these years without a second thought.. Until now.....Keep The Quit... Maria [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 62 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,381 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $248 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
17 years ago 0 123 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear imallclear, You are doing the right thing even if you don't feel the reward yet, that's the everything falling into place part. You just realized your love for your children is greater than your love for the smokes....and that's why you stopped. Maria [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 63 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,404 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $252 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This reminds me of a few weeks back when I had my 2 grandaughters in the car. The younger one(7) said how long have you stopped smoking for Grandad? the elder one(11) said dont be silly its 11 weeks today(and she was right) Phil [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 91 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,824 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �477.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 18 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
17 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Agonized over the guilt feelings myself for quite awhile. Good to recognise and acknowledge it, but best not to dwell on it. What is done is done. NOW you are quit and there are a whole lot of fans out there that are proud of you! You're a winner and a hero in your children's eyes :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 60 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,040 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $480 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
17 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Beautiful post Maria. Thank you. Fondly, Free [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 181 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,441 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $724 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
  • Quit Meter

$54,520.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5958 Hours: 2

Minutes: 36 Seconds: 49

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: