Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

Prepping for my quit

17 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good morning all, HELP. I'm prepping for my quit on Monday of next week. I promised myself and my 7 yr old son that I would quit before he went to school again. So here is my question....... What was the one/two things you replaced that "smoke break" with. This is where I have the problems. My thoughts so far are to grab a glass of water and come here. But what other ideas do you have by chance? Thanks all...count downs on nicodemon..its you or me...are you feeling lucky today punk? Sabina
17 years ago 0 243 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm only on day 3 so I guess it's very early for me to claim to have much expertise, but still and all.... I have been taking some of the times that I would normally have smoked and spent the same time on "me". Figure right now I deserve it! I sit down, close my eyes, relax my body and do some deep breathing exercise for a few minutes. It's a lovely lovely feeling. Also, did some surfing and found a great site on breathing techniques, and short relaxation exercises - you know, to get the tension out of various muscle groups. (usually shoulders/neck.) You are used to taking that time out anyway, so might as well use it to pamper yourself and stay loose. Just struck me today, I was smoking over 30 a day; sometimes as many as 40. I figure therefore that I have two spare hours a day so am going to sign up for a yoga class. Always wanted to do one, always told myself as a single parent, I don't have time. Well, now I do! :) Try not to be too fearful. I think the fear of that first step is worse than anything else so far. I also found some inspirational quotes and have them stuck up around my house where I can read them. They give me a positive vibe every time I read them. Here's one of my current faves: "Most people fail because they give up what they want most, for what they want right now." Go for it. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/20/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 82 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �12 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
17 years ago 0 1128 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Sabina :) Remember you CAN do this :) beleive in yourself. This is what i had (my survival kit per say) Jugs of iced water LOTS of fruit, apples and oranges mainly & lots of sugarless peppermints. Used breathing exersizes, Yoga Walking I sat and posted and read, played computer games really kept to myself and concentrated on ME. Cooled down on the water and the fruit by the second week replaced that with herbal tea's (green tea, camomile & peppermint) still loving my green tea - love that tang at the end of the cup that makes my eye feel like i got lemon in it lol :p Im sure the other members have lots of other ideas :) Your 7 year old will be so proud his mommy quit - what more of an incentive do you want? PrinessC :) x [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 42 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 847 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $428.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
17 years ago 0 1127 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi there, Good that you are going to quit. I drank lots of icecold water and made sure I had to do something all day. I have cleaned my house top to bottom just so that I had no time to think about smoking. That worked for me. And some good news for you about NICODEMON: There is no such thing as nicodemon, never was, never will be. It's all in your mind. Hugs Fini :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 143 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,589 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �421.85 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 19 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
17 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Post Movie Book Video Game Shower Bath Gardening Coloring with my kids Go for a bike ride with my kids Housework Home remodeling Call a friend or family member Organize something Go to the gym Exercise Do all those things that you said you would always do but didn't when you were sitting around smoking. It feels awkward at first, but try to not pay any mind to that. Just keep doing it. Eventually it will not feel odd at all. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Now that I don't smoke. I can get everything done in my day without being exhausted. When I smoked I never got everything done and I was always so tired. Congrats on your decision to quit. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 102 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,080 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $408 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
  • Quit Meter

$54,513.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5957 Hours: 10

Minutes: 22 Seconds: 43

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 220 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The short walk as stated by TimeToDoIt really helped with the urge to smoke during break. Iwas amazed the first time I tried it. I set a goal of 5 minutes, ended up going 15 minutes. Also, my favorite trick is the lollipop. I used those the first few weeks, esp. when I knew the other smokers were outside puffing. Logging on here, also, helps- if you can get away with it during the break. Good Luck! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 36 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,430 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $234 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
17 years ago 0 58 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sabinav -- Good for you! What a great reason to quit! Yeah, you're absolutely right, those smoke break times are pretty important to plan for. If you bought a nicotine patch kit, there's usually a CD included with it to give you tips. You don't absolutely need it, but basically it teaches you breathing exercises. Take a deep breath in, and hold it for a few seconds, then slowly exhale it out. This is basically what you do when you smoke, and the breathing exercise will get you through most of your craves. I also *strongly* recommend taking a short walk for a few minutes. It really worked miracles for getting over some of the worse craves. And, of course, just visualize the promise you made to your son - that's probably going to be your strongest coping mechanism! Well, best of luck to you in your quit and keep us updated :)
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Preparation is the key! Take the time to make a list of what the members advice, then use from the list what you need. Water and the site seems like a great idea! Try a magazine, chapter book or quick walk on your breaks! Let us know how we can help :) Keep Strong, Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: