Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,623 Members

Please welcome our newest members: SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING

I need this for Grandpa

18 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The premier of where i live in Tasmania, Australia died in 2004 of lung cancer aged only 54 years-old! He was a long-term smoker and his cancer was caused directly and ONLY by smoking. He was so brave during his last months. He did television interviews showing journalists x-rays of his lungs and allowing televised conversations between he and his oncologist to go to air in the hope that some of his people would learn from his terrible habit and butt out. We lost a most learned and visionary leader. His wife lost her devoted life-partner, his children their father and their children, an incredible grand-father. As a result of his death all smoking has been banned from resturants, pubs and nightclubs. Now there is a campaign to end smoking in cars particularly with young passengers. I hope Grandpa finds a way. Grandpas have the opportunity to share the most magical relationships with grandchildren. Good luck Cass
18 years ago 0 296 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I would like a few more stories add to this please. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 41 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 535 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $161.95 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
Thanks for the story Cass Josie, I hope people will share there story also. Thanks so much. Alley [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 451 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $134.3 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
Thanks Shevie, Thats exactly what I wanted. I pray that this will make my father at least think about what he means to me and my daughter. Alley [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 454 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $134.3 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
I read a post a few days ago about someone who had went to see there parents that are in there 70's that still smoke. It really hit home for me and has been laying heavy on my heart ever since. I need to ask a huge favor. I would like your stories so that I can print them and send them to my father. My father is in his mid 60's and smokes probably about 2 packs a day. He has smoked since he was a young boy. I fear that I am going to get a call one day and he will be gone. I have a young daughter who really needs to know her grandfather. My little girl is a year and a half. I have made the trip from New Mexico to Minnesota 2 times since she was born. My mother has came to New Mexico once but my father will not fly. Both my grandfathers had passed away before I was born and one of my grandmother passed when I was 5 the other when I was 16. I felt so cheated. Over the years I have watched my parent smoke and I joined them. Last time I visited my parents, I listened to my father cough all night. Sitting in a chair or sitting on the sofa. He doesn't sleep much if at all due to all the coughing. He is overweight and is also a diabetic. At my last visit his legs we very swollen and was hard for him to get his shoes on. I'm not sure it will change anything or that he will do anything to change his life but at least he will know it is possible to do and that people his age with similar situations have succeed. My quit has really put me in touch with my feelings and emotions. I want my father to live a long life. I want my little girl to know her grandfather. Please Help Alley [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 443 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $134.3 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
18 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
AlleyAnn, I don't know if you've ever read this before, but please, read [url=http://www.stopsmokingcenter.net/support/viewmessages.aspx?topic=21304&forum=1]this post[/url], which is dedicated to the types of stories you're talking about. I personally don't have a very exciting story... I coughed and I coughed every single day... ALL day, every day. The people I work with demanded that I go to the doctor once a week. I went and got every antibiotic, steroid, decongestant, etc... that they could come up with... but the cough just wouldn't go away. At one time, I was on 12 medicines!!! I swore it was the cold that would never go away! I refused to admit that it was due to smoking! I was 28. As soon as I quit smoking, amazingly, the cough went away! I don't wake up every 15 minutes in the middle of the night coughing. I don't annoy my co-workers because I'm constantly coughing anymore. That's probably the best part of quitting for me! That's my story. Like I said, it's probably not relevant for your father, but there it is. I really hope your father does quit. Best wishes! You and your father will be in my prayers. Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 194 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,854 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $801.22 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
18 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, AlleyAnn. I started smoking when I was 15 and have smoked about a pack a day for most of the time since. Why did I start? I just wanted to fit in at school someway, somehow. Back in 1980 I tried once to quit, but that bombed in a few hours. Three years ago I had a scare. I'd developed a pain that began in my upper right chest, right at the spot where I'd had a gurgle/rattle for several months. Over a few months the pain slowly extended to my right shoulder and down my arm to the fingertips. During this time I also developed a lump in my throat that made it difficult to swallow. I literally had to wash down every bite or I'd choke. It took about three months to get up the courage to see the doctor. I wasn't worried about what he'd tell me; I thought I had that pretty much figured out. What scared me the most was having to tell my wife and see her reaction. She must have suspected something because she went with me to all the doctor's appointments. She didn't ask if she could or should, she just did it. After a slew of tests, we were sitting in the ENT's office. He explained that I had severe acid reflux that was irritating my throat, causing the swelling. I cannot describe the relief when I heard "There's no sign of a tumor." A couple of weeks on Pepcid AC took care of the lump and swallowing problem. Oh, and the pain? Pinched nerve. Muscle relaxers did the trick. I did talk to my GP about quitting smoking. He explained why people smoke, that nicotine stimulates the pleasure centers in the brain. He also explained that most people who smoke, at least when they started, are depressed to some degree and are self-medicating with nicotine. He also told me about Zyban (Wellbutrin) and how it is supposed to help one to quit by mimicing the effects of nicotine in the brain. Did I quit then? Oh, noooooo. Scare over, no damage done, no urgent reason to quit anymore. But I did start paying attention to why and when I smoked, and to the actual act of smoking as well. I learned that I smoked when I was bored, sad, angry, annoyed, frustrated, or experiencing any form of negative stress. When I was happy and doing something I enjoyed I could go for hours without even a thought for a cig. I also began experimenting with "quitt
18 years ago 0 319 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello AlleyAnn, I am now 68 years old, myself quit on this website 3 years ago, which in my mind never thought was possible, started smoking at 20 years old, You do the math, I still to this day think that its the Motivation that tells You that, Enough is Enough, I was propped up in my bed one day watching a ball game, on T,V, 3 years ago, puffing on those cigerettes, when my Great Grandson Jayden, who was like 14 months old at the time, and Who was born out of wedlock, came over to visit my Wife and I, Well I have this little stool at the foot of my bed to help my little dashshund dog get in bed with me, Will Jayden though He would try that stool out Himself, well He crawled right up in bed with me And that's when I told myself, IF, I don't disguard these cigerettes, Who is gonna teach this young Boy how to fish in the years ahead, or to ride a bicycle, And that was the start of my journey in kicking my addiction, For I knew in my heart that those cigerettes were taking my breathe and life away from me, Well Friend, I don't regreat one second, one hour, one day of my decission to quit, would quit again in a heartbeat if I ever had too, Myself, love this new lifestyle of living, walk 2 miles aday, every day, if possible, and enjoy it greatly, I used the zyban medication myself, for 7 weeks, and was off and running, I might walk slowly today, but I never walk backwards, AlleyAnn, Try it this way, Get two picture's of Your Daughter, take that pack of cigerettes out of Your Dad,s pocket, and replace it with a picture, and tell Him, ''Will You Quit Smokeing for my Daughter, for You will be here when She becomes a Lady, and starts Her own family, And if that don't work, Show them the reading on the side of those cigerette packs, For it can,t be a more true statement made, ''Hazzordous To Your Health,'' I don't mean to rattle on AlleyAnn, but have discovered that life becomes quite precious when You become a Senior Citizen, Good luck on Your endeavor, And I applaud You Yourself in seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, I do hope it rub's off on Your Parents, Don't give up on Them, Take Care, Smokless In Oklahoma :)
  • Quit Meter

$26,887.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 885 Hours: 5

Minutes: 38 Seconds: 54

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Alley, This is a great idea! Hopefully the members will share some of their stories about their wake-up moments and how much others need and love them. This disease can hurt many and knowing that you did the right thing will get you through. Keep Strong, Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: