Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,499 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Getting Started

18 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lady, Fantastic support. Thank you so much for being such a encouraging supportive member. Take Care, Melanie __________________ The SSC Support Team
18 years ago 0 1155 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Each evening I seem to have a type of "inspiring" thought. 2 nights ago it was: Stop ruminating about the suffering of quitting & put some focus on the positive. My mind space had been consumed with withdrawal & craving & torture thoughts. Last night, I had this thought: Quitting is like jumping into a cold swimming pool - It's horrible at first and you instinctually just want to get out. But, if you stick it out, pretty soon your body adjusts to the temperature and it doesn't feel cold anymore. And then you realize what a wonderful & healthy experience it is to swim. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/2/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 138 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $32.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
  • Quit Meter

$1,135,150.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5539 Hours: 14

Minutes: 17 Seconds: 37

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 2614 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lady thanks for this post. For me there were two areas I found I had to concentrate. One Keeping the agreement with myself to be smoke free. I placed a very sound bond on myself to keep this commitment. I agreed at Christmas of 2005 to go to Venice at Christmas of 2006, for a memorial to a very dear friend who died of cancer in the summer of 2004. If I smoke I can not go as I have broken my contract. As simple as one puff and I have to give up something that is of incrediable meaning and importance to me. I will be embarassed and not be part of my own community. Big time bond in place for me if break my agreement. Two Refocusing my energy. I have lots of energy and I know I put lots of energy into smoking. I took up swimming. A serious physical activity. It is of low impact so I won't be hurting myself. It costs very little less than seventyfive cents per day and I get my quarter back from the locker. If I smoke I will see the impact immediately. And it is with a team of people there are about onehundred members so I have to be social, something I would not have been. So getting started I put these two things into place and got going. Never for one second realizing the journey that would start to unfold. I have constantly had to tap into a well of courage and love that I never thought that I had in myself. The most important understanding that I have on this day is that quitting smoking is the most important thing that I can be doing right now and everythinjg else must stay on hold and can wait. I am doing this for myself and right now I am all that matters. To all out there looking to get started and those wishing to start again, simply get going, choose to commit yourself to quitting and stand firmly in your resolve to quit. The quitting will be one of the most rewarding and challenging things that you will ever do for yourself. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 49 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 990 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $367.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
18 years ago 0 327 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
lady you are wonderfull! im still quitting today though! 5 left and they will soon be gone !
ok thats it all gone smoked 3 on the trot feel bloddy awful and shredded the rest! oh god do i feel bad!!! heres to my new life! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
you wouldnt think it would be hard would you?! i see the stop smoking man and he says fine we will try again and he will fax the prescription to the docs.sorted!!but no this is jan we are talking about.i ring the docs this morning coz they close on thursdays[to bad if your dying!!!!]no the didnt have a fax!if i know the name of the losange they can do it for me anyway.well its nrt losange isnt it!?????ok i will ring and find out.ring the nrt man ,no answer please leave your message after the tone!ok i ring the chemist and ask them what its called.yes its nrt losange!i ring the docs back get someone different,explaine to her what it is and say i will be in later to pick it up,ok.finish morning work go to docs ah says he behind the desk she forgot to ask you your name so i havent done it yet!breath breath !i need anough for the month i say,well how many is that he asks!i dont know your the doctors!!!!!!!breath breath!!!!!!ok he looks up on his computor 4 boxs of 72 ,fine i say.they will take the precription down to the chemist when its been signed by the doctor i can pick it up in the afternoon.ok .breath breath.pick aimee up at 1.30 and go to chemist,it s closed till 2.15!!!!!breath you bugger breath!!!!wait in car for 25 mins.go in and ask for my meds .young girl dosent know much!oh we havent got these in stock!!!!!by this time im crawling the walls i had it all planed ,last fag an hour ago now need the nic in my system like never befor!!!!!we can get them in for you by 11a.m tomoz!!!!!dont know how i kept my hands from around her slim little throut!!!!!!!!!!!!!took the script out of her hand and stormed out the shop!streight into the coop shop and got 10 fags!!!!!!light one up and inhail now think,its ok i will try another chemist,of we go aimee we can do this!!!!in to next shop ,no sorry we can get them for you though!!!!!aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!breath ,im going hyper now! ok lets try boots in the town there a big chemist .yyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeessssss they have them!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but now i have 8 fags left!!!!!!!lol i dont know if i can break them up so i think i will smoke them all in the next couple of hours ,i know i will be pleased to stop then as i will feel awfull!!!!! sorry to have gone o
18 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
We have a member who is really having a hard time getting started again on her quit. I wanted to post something where we could encourage her or anyone else having a hard time to get going again. First of all I want to say that you have to stop smoking in order to quit. That means that you do not smoke no matter what. Get rid of all cigarettes and do not buy anymore. If you do not trust yourself not to buy any, when you leave the house do not take any money with you. The choice has to be made to quit and you have to stand by that decision and not give up no matter what happens. If your car breaks down, you do not smoke. If the kids misbehave, you do not smoke. If you can�t get NRTs, you do not smoke. If your entire world falls apart, you do not smoke. And when it seems you can�t take it one more minute, you still DO NOT SMOKE! Yes, quitting is hard and it seems like the struggle with never end but you have to have faith. You have to believe in yourself. You can only travel this quit road one step at a time and you have to continue to put one foot in front of the other in order to go anywhere. There isn't a magic pill for quitting. It doesn�t happen over night and it takes a lot of work. You have to be willing to work if you plan on succeeding. I�ve said time and time again that it takes courage to quit. That courage lies in each and every one of us. Some of us just have a harder time getting our hands on it. Golferman gave a suggestion when I was really struggling to keep my quit and it made a huge difference to me. He said to [B]"embrace your quit"[/b]. I was fighting my quit with all my might. Once I accepted the quit as being good for me and a positive thing in my life, the entire process of quitting turned around for me. I really hope this helps. I don�t know what else to say. Hopefully other members can provide some insight on how to get going. Help me out here folks. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 280 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,610 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $980 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 24 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
18 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jan, trash the last cigs. Do not let them have control over you. Reasons to not toss them: [color=Red]I paid money for them.[/color] It's not [u]that[/u] much money. You're worth a lot more than that. [color=Red]It would be wasteful.[/color] Again, you're worth a lot more than a few fags. Better to waste them than you. As long as you are smoking them, they have control. Take that control back. Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 319 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,391 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1212.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 59 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
18 years ago 0 1306 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Two weeks ago I was where Jan is...one incredibly long 3 day headache...Nausea +++ I just wanted to vomited... and and incredible sense of knowing that smoking was AWFUL. I jumped back on the wagon and fast, because I knew if I smoked one more day, I couldn't guarantee how long till I would try again. I knew it was going to be painful AGAIN - hell week. I knew I had to do whatever it took in order to stay quit. Lady talks about embracing the quit. I know in my heart of hearts that being quit is what I want. I am not going to take that away from me. I deserve to be free, and free is what I am. I am no longer a slave. It is a precious feeling. Take the plunge! It's a choice! LIFE [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/28/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 10 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 273 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $115 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
  • Quit Meter

$330,328.65

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6025 Hours: 13

Minutes: 28 Seconds: 57

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: