Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,540 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Bump on a log

18 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks to everyone for all the ideas and support. By the way 4my2girls, the bride is my long time smoking buddy so it will be pretty hard to stay away from her, so as soon as I'm finished with the wedding I will be finished with smoking. Acutally, I'm sure with all the commotion on the big day I won't even have a chance to smoke, so I'm gonna try not to. As far as being prepared for my quit day I have been preparing since the beginning of this year. I've always wanted to quit before I turned 30 and this is the big year so I've been trying to educate myself for awhile now. I've kept a smoking journal and now all my triggers and back doors and have plenty of distractions in place to occupy myself. I've also let all my family, friends, and co-workers know and have already been getting more support then I could have ever imagined. So, look for me in the next few days because i'm gonna need you guys. LET'S GET THIS PARTY STARTED!!!!
  • Quit Meter

$354,252.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 4954 Hours: 16

Minutes: 27 Seconds: 13

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Okay, this may seem strange, but I don't feel like my quit date is going to get here quick enough. I'm ready to get on with it. I think I have been preparing myself very well, and have been following guidelines to set a quit date. It just now seems that it is a very long way off, April 10th, and I'm not sure what to do in the meantime. How do you "practice" quitting. I'm also involved with another online quit program, but find these discussion groups and information much more helpful. This is my first time quitting. Well almost, I quit competely cold turkey while I was pregnant, then started the day I got home from delivery. That quit was very easy for me, I didn't really feel like I made a choice to quit, I just had to. So, when I no longer "had to" I started smoking again. This is the first time I have decided that I want to quit and don't ever want to start again. So,after all this rambling on, just wondering if I should just go ahead jump in head first, or keep up with the practicing until my pre-set quit day?
  • Quit Meter

$354,252.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Well, I chose April 10th because it fit into my schedule well. I have a friend's wedding coming up, and then my 30th birthday is April 20th. I really want to be able to say on my b-day that I'm a non smoker and would like to have at least a week under my belt by then. So, I was doing some figuring with my work schedule and upcoming plans, and time frame for some prep work and the 10th felt right. But now I really want to move it up. I'm thinking just get through this wedding this weekend and be done. I don't think it would be fair to my friend to try to quit 2 days before her big day. I think April fool's day would be a great day to remember as my last day as a smoker :O)
  • Quit Meter

$354,252.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Thanks Pamala. I am so proud of you!!! Here you are giving me encouragement during this difficult time for yourself. I cannot begin to tell you how much I appreciate it. Also, funny point. The wedding this weekend, is between by cousin and best friend. Kinda freaky we have so much in common. Thanks again for all your support
  • Quit Meter

$354,252.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 852 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello and welcome! Why wait? The choice is yours, but the sooner the better! Especially with your attitude! You will do great! ;) Are there any smokers that you know at the wedding? If not close to them, then why not make it that day? You will be fine. You want this, that's for sure.... :p We are here for you whatever you choose. Have a great time at the wedding! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 25 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 764 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $81.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
18 years ago 0 58 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
then that's great! It's up to you... you just gotta be ready and COMMIT to it... oh and start preparing for it now.... get rid of some of the extra ashtrays and lighters and all that... if you've got the time clean out your car, febreeze it, and add a new air freshener... (then don't smoke in it again lol)... wash all your clothes... well presuming there's not another smoker that's not quitting in your house... and if you smoke in your house, even wash the "clean ones" b/c they most likely smell like smoke even if you don't smell it... or spray a lot of Febreeze around your house and in your car at a minimum.. and try to smoke outside.... Just some ideas.. I live with a smoker.. and he smokes everywhere in the house and constantly and I know that if he didn't, I would've done all that... and I'd be happier and having an even easier time lol... and if you're up to it.. put off having another cigarette.. don't smoke it at every urge.. kind of "practice" by skipping some of them or something... Incedentally, my first full day (midnight to midnight) w/out a smoke was on my cousin's/best friend's wedding day, last Saturday... their original date was going to be this Saturday LOL.. *hugs* and good luck! ~Pamala
18 years ago 0 58 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
well you can do either or... is there a reason why you're waiting until then? My original quit date was April 12th (my bday).. I set that in January LOL... I just knew that I was about fed up and yet I wasn't completely ready yet.. but I knew I wanted to quit b4 then.. and then a couple of weeks ago I was going oh crap I have to quit soon.. but then last week it just hit me out of the blue.. I didn't really WANT to keep spending my money killing myself... I'm now on Day 5 and by my birthday I'll have not smoked for almost 3 weeks... and so far I've saved about 10 hrs or so of my life... after 3 weeks that's a couple of days.... I've already saved almost $20... there's me a little birthday present! HOWEVER.. I will say that when the decision hit me.. I didn't stop at that moment.. I finished what I had, b/c I just knew that for ME... there was no way I could tear them up or throw them away and if I had them I'd want to smoke them.. I had about a pack and 1/2 left.. and it took me only about another 36 hrs to smoke them.. and I was done... I've been smoke free for 5 days and almost 11 1/2 hrs.. and I've not smoked 120 sickie sticks... I'm talking about MY experiences b/c everyone is different and no one can tell you what is right for you.... but I start to get that urge to get started on my quit... *hugs* and good luck! ~Pamala day 5
18 years ago 0 1110 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What a great decison you have made and one you wont regret. Come and read and post here all you can, it really helps. All the best of luck to you on your quit, you are going to be so happy you did!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/21/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 344 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,615 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2580 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 45 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
18 years ago 0 1073 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome aboard Belles! My thought is if you're ready, just do it! The longer you wait once you reach that "Let's get on with it" stage, the harder it can be to actually get started. So, get through the wedding if you must, then quit. April Fool's Day sounds great! ;) As far as practicing quitting....I couldn't! If they were there, I was gonna smoke 'em. In fact, I smoked more knowing the days were nembered! :blush: If you're wanting to cut back, try putting your smokes in a different place. Someplace you have to actually think about it, to go get one. Ask yourself each time... "Do I really want this one?" Good luck! [color=Purple]~lbugg~[/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 378 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 20,056 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2494.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 36 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
  • Quit Meter

$52,432.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 917 Hours: 22

Minutes: 18 Seconds: 6

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
belle, Are you prepared? Do you have your coping mechanisms ready? Have you read about avoidance and distraction? The quit date is up to you and you need to be prepared. There is a vast amount of knowledge and support here and we can help. Preparation is essential to a successful quit. Try cutting back on a few everyday and work your way up to the quit. We are always here to help. Keep Strong, Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: