Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Fear of loss of community and safety after being discharged

10 years ago 0 40 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to DC 22tracy!

Congratulations on your discharge!  I know it doesn't feel like a great accomplishment right now, because you are making a transition, but it's a good transition and it means that you are doing well.  You won't lose what you learned even with a set back, it's a process.   You are lucky that you have this site, and we will support you all the way through this transition.

I remember a time about 6 years ago, I had just finished my designation, and I got a promotion to a Management Position.  I was terrified, and although it was a good thing, it threw me into a major anxiety/depression.   My actual job wasn't even changing much, but the thought that now everyone expects me to be better than I was before was too much for me to handle.  It was my thoughts that caused me to feel anxious and depressed....not the situation itself.

I worked through it, and came out the other side, and you will too!

Laura
10 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome 22Tracy,

First of all, know that whatever you decide to do you will not have lost everything you have gained. All you have learned is still there, even during the hardest times. It is a normal part of the healing process to have set backs - look for what you have to learn but do not think you have lost everything because you haven't.

Try working through the program. It might be a good refresher for what you already know. You might want to check out the section on relaxation techniques first. As this will help you now.

We will be here for you whenever you need us.  Keep posting

Ashley, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi 22tracy... welcome to the Depression Center.  I think you will find the DC to be a safe and structured place to help you with the transition from intensive outpatient care.  I've done inpatient several times and know well the anxiety that comes with being well enough to be discharged.  It's a very common reaction.  So normal to want to go back too.  

We can help just by being here to listen and support you in whatever way you need.  Plus, if you start on the sessions and do the mood and thought trackers... you will have as much structure as you want providing you show up and do the work.  Nice thing is that the DC is here 24/7.  Not the same as being in your program... but enough support that it could help you keep the gains you've already made.

What was your program like?  What advice did they give about managing the transition? I sure hope we can help and this program is helpful for you. I'm glad you are here and look forward to reading more of your thoughts and experiences when/if you are ready to share. 
10 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have been in an excellent outpatient mental health program and was recently discharged. I am having a very rough time adjusting from this safe place w/lots of support and people I got very close to to real life. I am very anxious and fighting the urge to check myself back in and the fear of losing all of gained.  I have some support but will not have a lot of structure for a couple of weeks. Any one gone through this or have suggestions for coping?

Reading this thread: