Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Tough Afternoon

14 years ago 0 102 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Again, we seem to be so much on the same path. 

You sound so healthy A.  You really are working with this depression in a way that is enhancing your life.  You're seeing what works for you, and what doesn't.  And yeah, I can't be bothered with petty anymore either.  Things need to be straight-forward, real, and clear.  Life is too short.

I'm also happy to hear that you're reconnecting with the friends that matter, and letting go with those that can't keep up with you.

Keep posting because your contributions here are helping people.  Me included :)  You're awesome.

My little one is calling so will write later after he's settled.
good job though.
deb
14 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Arizona,

It is great to hear the progress you've been making and the discoveries you've made about what makes you happy. Thank you for sharing this with us. What is the game plan for the next week, two weeks?

Samantha, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 32 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Breezin & Cvdeb,

I'm doing much better with this.  The thought records really helped.  Plus the universe showed me some things last week that I needed to see.

I was at a party on Friday.  I love being at parties post depression so I've been going to a lot of them.  Anyway, I'm at this party and I was watching two couples.  The first couple had two children, two beautiful little girls.  However, the couple themselves were sitting on opposite ends of the couch, arms crossed, and leaning away from each other.  For the entire night I never saw them look at each other, never saw them touch, and I never saw them truly speak to each other.  The second 'couple' was a pair that I thought were dating, who acted like they were dating, but who claimed (the females opinion) they were just friends.  Anyway, there was lots of dancing at the end of the party.  This dude was sitting there, with his arms crossed, and sending negative energy into the room, I could feel it.  The girl was dancing and having a great time.  Then the dude gets up and starts to leave and a heavy conversation ensues and the girls stops dancing.  However, every time they left the room she got up and started to have fun again.

Watching this unfold was a big help.  First, I was aware, I was learning, and I knew better.  This was new to me. Second, I saw myself in both of these couples.  I deserve better and my partner deserves better, we need to be present together, to appreciate and trust each other.  This was new to me.  I realized that I deserve to be with someone who treats me with respect and I need to do the same.  I need to value the beauty that is a relationship and not pout, get angry, get jealous etc.  I realized that I am so different than I used to be.  This really helped me to let go.  I can't ever be in the relationship I was in before because I am so different now, I want different things now, and I have grown too much.  This felt so positive.

Then, on Tuesday of this week I watched Avatar.  Watching this movie I recognized that my life has so much purpose now.  I live for something so much bigger than profit, my job, the drama of the world (who likes who, who owns what etc...).  All this petty stuff that troubled my mind is so meaningless in comparison to the beauty of life, our world, the universe, the energy that we all are.  I just can't be bothered by petty things anymore.

I've been able to reconnect with almost all of my friends and so far they've all loved the changes in me.  It's been nice.  For those that can't follow me on my new journey I simply offer my love and wish them a wonderful journey.

A.
Hey A,

Where are you at with all of this now?  It was a little while since you've written about it.
D
14 years ago 0 57 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Arizona:

Perhaps a Metta meditation may help you.  During that meditation you have the option of forgiving and apologizing to yourself and also someone else compassionately.

You're doing some really good work A.  You're right, we can't control anybody else.  I hope you feel proud of yourself.  Good job!
deb
14 years ago 0 32 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So,

I've been working hard to make post-depression amends with a very close friend.

It's so hard because she isn't reciprocating at all.  Plus the more I do this CBT business the more I learn about the mistakes I have made.  I'm having a hard time letting go of these feelings.  My mediation helps but it doesn't help me with the knowledge that I am responsible for my portion of this problem.  That sucks.

On the positive side, it has taught me that I am only responsible for my part of the problem.  I am not responsible for her behaviour, for her giving up on me, for them being cold to me, for any of that.  This is a relief.

Moving on and change are such a part of life but they are not an easy part.

A.

Reading this thread: