Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,632 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

Slipping Slipping again

16 years ago 0 183 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Different approaches will help different people, but the CBT is really helping me to understand the roots of my issues. Though looking at the patterns of my negative thoughts and my triggers, and then following them back to identify my core beliefs is sort of like following a thread out of a labyrinth, or a number of threads out of a number of labyrinths. I've been struggling over the core beliefs section for months because the beliefs I came up with seemed obvious, but then I had a click and I found my way out of one of my labyrinths. It was a comment my therapist made to some story I told him, but without the framework of the CBT (he doesn't do CBT) I think that the comment would have just slipped by me. I know that it's only one of my labyrinths, and I have no idea how many labyrinths I have, but I recognize it clearly as one of my core beliefs that, when my negative thoughts around it are really changed, I will behave and feel differently. I obsess as well, and I get sick of my obsessing. I really don't know if it's important, helpful, or even possible to understand all the reasons behind my depression. I think that a component of mine is inherited from my father, but again, I don't know if it's biological or environmental... It's all so complicated! But I think that I've found another labyrinth -- I'm not out of it yet, but at least I see it -- and I think that if I can address these two, I'll be able to function again. And then maybe just functioning, in itself, will make me feel better. And then maybe the rest will just evaporate because I've other things to think about... Where medication fits in? Another thing I don't know, as I've been prescribed pretty much the gamut and the effect of each one/combination has worn off after just a few months. I can't even imagine what I'm doing to my brain with all this messing around with it's chemicals :(
16 years ago 0 13 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That wasn't very clear, I suppose what I'm trying to say is does CBT and medication successfully manage depression and help with how we look at ourselves and the world but perhaps not get to the cause, which could be things that are wrong in the present (eg relationships, jobs), past hurt/anger that somehow we haven't processed or maybe stuff we don't know is there yet or don't see right (where the psychotherapy comes in)? That's if there is a cause?! And maybe sometimes it is biological (which seems to be more the case in bipolar). I think seeing depression as an illness is so useful but sometimes if we're not careful can it lead to us labelling ourselves as a lifetime medical condition when maybe we can break free of it and the answer is inside if we know how to look or in saying that there is nothing wrong with us maybe what is wrong is our current world and so how can we change it? My example is a friend who went through a lot of therapy when younger and now works as a healer (reiki, shamanic stuff) - she describes it as you have to make sure all the pus is out otherwise it will get infected again and again. I don't know what or where the pus is though!! It seems to me that there are very different ways to look at depression and they contradict each other even though they each make sense. I always feel I'm missing a bit of the puzzle which ever way I look at it. Maybe that's because I'm not looking right or looking too hard? As you can tell, It get very confused with all this....Time for some distraction on the TV...;)
16 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Something very painful and confusing that me and my mind is scared to let out? I am not too sure where this fits depression... That's one theory some people I know who've been through it say is at the root of the depression. is it the dr or the nebulous "they" Is this where the psychotherapy comes in? For me psychotherapie is about learning about a set of life-coping tools that I never saw as a child. The therapie teaches me to use these tools with ever imcreasing dexerity. Does this clash with the CBT way of thinking? CBT is one life-tool, it is about learning to see that i am making errors in my interrrrrnal logic, I am making erros in the way I am thinking. Cognitive-behaviorial therapy, for me, is about knowing what I am doing whong and how to fix it....
16 years ago 0 13 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I totally understand where you're coming from with this 'obsessing over the need to understand', it can take over my head and won't stop. It's nasty. Sometimes I think it in part is my logical analytical mind trying to understand something that is beyond logic? Something very painful and confusing that me and my mind is scared to let out? That's one theory some people I know who've been through it say is at the root of the depression. Is this where the psychotherapy comes in? Does this clash with the CBT way of thinking? Gets confusing. More stuff to obsess about! Anyone got any thoughts?
16 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
JenJen, I can relate so much! Everyday is such a struggle just to keep it together. I tell my fiance quite often that I hate my life, that I am bored, that I am miserable, and that I am jealous of him for still going to work and keeping his hobbies. I stay at home day after day looking after the kids, 8months baby, and 5 yr old and the dogs (2). I have hit a wall! (ok, before i go further if anybody were to ask me what i would want to do instead, i wouldn't have a clue.) I don't know what would make me happy. I have given up hope. I don't even have the energy to hope anymore. I now feel like a failure. I can't keep up to laundry and I hate cooking ( i like the fast and easy way which is not healthy ) but i know my baby is getting ready to eat real food and I have to get it together emotionally so I can give her a healthy start in life. I don't want to fail her. But I am failing myself. Also, my dogs have been acting up lately and getting into trouble and mischief. They have even started peeing and pooing in the house. I feel I am doing a terrible job looking after my responsibilities. Tonight I feel like a failure. I am so tired of struggling. I just want to function normally. brooke
16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
JenJen, You've received a great response from your fellow member. It's okay to wonder about those questions. We encourage you to begin working through the program and get back on the path. If you're not ready to tackle the homework, just reading and participating in the forums can be a great first step. Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 36 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
JenJen, I don't think "obsessing over the need to understand" is a bad thing. That's the part of you that is not depressed trying to figure out the part of you that is. It's the part of you that has "high expectations" and "high hopes." I've always thought my depression was a battle between the real me and the depressed me, or the well me versus the sick me. Sometimes (and this may be happening to you) the "well" me pushes too hard when what I need is time to rest and heal. Now that you've written out many of the "bad" things happening to you, maybe it would help to write out your hopes and expectations as well? Take care!
16 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I feel as if I am obsessing over needing to understand why this is happening. Its all I seem to think about is this depression. What can I do to make it better? Why isn't it getting any better? Why am I sliding backward again? So on and so forth. When I came home from the hospital I had great expectations. But as the week has wore on those expectations have begun to disappear. I'm still so incredibly tired. It doesn't matter how much sleep I get. Thats all I want to do is sleep. I have no abition for anything, I don't want to cook or clean. I don't want to talk to anyone, go anywhere or do anything. I had such high hopes I was traveling the right path and now.... I just don't know. I don't know anymore. Will I ever regain any part of my life again? Well there ever be a time when everything isn't such a chore? Can I last that long? I just don't know.

Reading this thread: