Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Hello, new here

4 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi lasagna_nog,

You have some great strategies to manage your mental health. To try to manage your feelings when there is a lack of control I have a few suggestions:

• Keep tracking your thoughts. Ensure that your thoughts are as positive and realistic as possible. Be aware of any cognitive distortions you might be using and challenge them when required.
  • Practice mindfulness daily. I love that you like going outdoors for your mental health. While you are there, be as mindful as you can. Look into mindful walking and being mindful of your senses. You can be mindful for short periods no matter what you are doing. I know a busy new dad who practices mindful dish washing and that seems to work for him. Research shows that mindfulness does work. You can take a whole course on mindfulness and still not know everything there is to know; so, I encourage you to do some googling if you are interested in the topic.
  • Radical Acceptance - https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog/pieces-mind/201207/radical-acceptance

I hope at least one of those suggestions helps.

Take care,

Ashley

4 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Thank you for your response Ashley!

Yes it does seem to be the case in most jobs that it is a requirement to be able to find calm within the stressful aspects. I am realizing (by tracking my moods this week) that it's not my actual job (teaching, working with kids) that causes me stress - but the external, bureaucratic factors outside of my control.

The things that seem to help me with my anxiety/depression are getting outside, going to the pool once or twice a week (something to look forward to not related to work, and it's good exercise), playing music (either alone or with friends), or just being with a few friends to talk and have some good company. Watching a program on Netflix can sort of help but I find it is mostly a distraction and then I can easily go back to feeling anxious once the program is over.

That being said, I think it is key, especially heading in to the dark winter months, to keep engaging with good friends and to keep up my exercise when I can. Do you have any tips for dealing with external factors at work out of your control? Or how to at least be at peace with them if you can't change them?

thank you!

4 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Welcome Lasagna_hog,

Thank you so much for posting. Feeling like you do not have control at work is a big stressor. Sadly, I think more and more people are finding themselves in positions where they do not feel they have any control at work. Finding calm in stressful situations is now a required life skill. Easier said then done, of course.

I am so glad you are finding the program already helpful. Aside from the program, how else do you try to cope with the anxious/depressed feelings?

I hope to read more from you soon,

Ashley

4 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hello - just joined this forum today, it's been a rough couple days, and lots of ups and downs over the last few months due to stress at work and feeling overloaded/overwhelmed at work. I work in a bureaucratic system where I feel there are a lot of factors out of my control, which makes focusing on the future difficult. Ironically, we are provided with counsellors and the LifeWorks program via work...so if I didn't have this job, I wouldn't have access to this program. But it is my job causing me to feel depressed/exhausted/anxious/overwhelmed. Did anyone guess I'm a public school teacher?

Being on here and just tracking my moods/activity for the day seems to already be helping just a little...I feel like this community forum will help me to stay on track with the CBT course.

Thank you all for your support and for being here.

Reading this thread: