Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Introducing myself -need some help to get started

5 years ago (Edited 5 years ago) 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Welcome back Laura,

I am sorry to read all you have been going through. It sounds like you have been really trying to get through this with little success. Anyone would be having a tough time right now. I think starting CBT is a great idea. I am surprised your counsellors did not assign you homework - the biggest part of CBT is the homework because you need to practice. It takes lots of practice to change our thought patterns. This is not a quick fix but CBT has the most evidence base. CBT can help. Take it one step at a time

If your you are not seeing results with your current counsellor you might want to consider trying a different counsellor or telling your counsellor that the current approach is not working. Why pay if you are not seeing progress and reaching goals?

I see you have already completed a lot of the program. Awesome work! How are you finding the homework? Are you able to fit it in, even though you have been so busy? Have you learned anything helpful or thought provoking while working on the program?

Ashley, Health Educator

5 years ago (Edited 5 years ago) +1 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Our situations may be much different, but I can completely feel and AM completely feeling these emotions of being unable to control your life as it falls apart around you.

AND I know the suffering of waiting for months (in my case, years) for medications and doctor appointments and the like.

I can't offer much help, as I'm just as stuck, but I can offer you whatever, if any, relief there is knowing that there's someone who knows what it's like to be losing control due to this.

Oh, I just read the part about the medical system doing absolutely nothing too. I know that reaaaally well. And yeah, even when you're suicidal and you show them that, they STILL give you very little to go off of, but hey, at least they finally acknowledge you...

In my experience, anyway. But it's not really relieving at all. Wish they weren't so inept at giving people what they need most.

I typed up another reply, but the website ate it. It was just me saying I really know the feeling of the medical system seeming like it could care less about you, unless you're suicidal. Only, I've been there too, and sure they admit you, but they just wait until you're not suicidal after that and let you out. Not much better for assistance.

Oh, I stand corrected. My posted messages are all going into this one post, lol. I just joined, myself, my apologies.

5 years ago 0 40 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi,

I've been on this site before, not for a few years though. I've suffered on and off with depression and anxiety my whole life I think. Sometimes it comes out of the blue and I really don't know why, most of the time it's due to circumstances beyond my control, but that I need to deal with and don't feel capable of dealing with. I've been on meds for about 20 years. I also have chronic bursitis in my hip, which has not responded to treatment, and gives me constant pain.

The last year has been the worst year of my life. Starting in January my Mom passed away I found out she had been sent to the hospital alone, with out my Dad while I was at work, and I had to get a quick flight there in the hopes of at least being with her, but I didn't make it there in time, and she died alone. Then while visiting my Dad, I took him to the doctor, and got confirmation that he has Dementia. He is now alone and living 5 hours away from any family or anyone to take care of him, on a lake in a rural area. My nephew has stage 4 cancer and is progressively getting worse. And work has exploded in a way that I did not foresee, and did not take steps to ensure we had bodies to handle the workload and I am a manager who is having a hard time managing myself and my own workload with all the changes, problems, issues etc. let alone manage anyone else. I know I need to hire someone, but I'm too busy to even think about taking time to find someone, or train them.

I don't want to go on stress leave, and I just want to feel "normal" so I can deal with all the things I have to deal with, but I walk around feeling hopeless, and I can't even smile. I have lost 30 lbs this year, I'm not sleeping much or eating much. I have no appetite whatsoever, and all I want to do is sleep, but it eludes me. It takes hours to fall asleep, even with medication, and then I don't stay asleep for long, wake up, tossing and turning until the alarm goes off. I lie there not wanting to get up and face the day ahead, until I finally force myself up, because I really have no choice. I have to work, I have no other means of support, and honestly in a way it distracts me from my life, except that work itself is so bad right now, I can't think straight, or concentrate, or even smile. People are asking what's wrong with me.

After Mom passed in Jan last year I started having major anxiety - waking up with my heart pounding out of my chest, and the tingling sensation, and feeling like I was going crazy. It's not a panic attack because those end after a bit, no this followed me all day for weeks. It seemed to be related to visits to my Dad's, which I had been doing once a month, for a few days at a time. I would be ok for a couple weeks, and then about a week before I go see my Dad the anxiety would start, and I'd be like that for a few weeks before it dissipated. Then I'd be ok until the next time I visit. I don't know why it hit at that time, except that his situation is not good, and it's hard when I see him that way. I've tried to talk to him about moving closer, or having someone come in to help him, but he thinks he's fine, and doesn't remember he has dementia. I call him every night to check on him, and it's hard because he doesn't have much to say, and doesn't remember much of anything, so conversation is really difficult. I feel so guilty - that I should be doing more for him, but I really don't know what to do. He wants to stay there, and he doesn't want help. I've tried to convince myself that this is his "right" as a human being, but my own fear of something "bad" happening to him just keeps me going around in circles. I can't seem to just accept it.

In the last month and a half, I think I've been more depressed than anxious. I'm just flat all the time. I can't even cry. I've not had any normal, or even near normal days in all that time, and I'm nearing the end of my rope. I've been seeing my doctor weekly, and trying to get in to see a phychiatrist to check my meds, as those clearly are not working,.but the soonest I could get in is 3 months from now. I've been going to see a counsellor weekly, and the only benefit I can see to that, is that I can vent without feeling guilty about spreading my negativity around. The downside is that it's costing me a fortune, and my benefits don't cover very much. My doctor wants me to get into group therapy, but it's during work hours, and I don't know how I would manage that with work being what it is, also they haven't called me to tell me when yet, so I wait.

I honestly feel like I'm waiting as my whole life falls apart around me, and I have no control over that happening. I can't feel better, if I could, I would. It feels like the medical system won't do anything unless you tell someone you are suicidal, and even if you do, you may or may not get any help.

I told my doctor this week, that I was near the end of my rope, and that I couldn't do this anymore. She started a new med, that is supposed to help me sleep, but I really haven't seen much improvement there. That's it, she says I'm sorry, but I can't do anything else for you.

I have way to many worries, and I don't know what to do about any of them. I need to get better, and now!

I thought I would check out what this site offers, and see if it might help. My doctor wants me to do CBT as she says it helps, but I've seen two counsellors that say they do it, but don't give me stuff to do.

Anyway, my hope is that this site will offer me some way to pull myself out of this pit of darkness and despair and get me back to normal.

That's my situation at the moment,

Laura

Reading this thread: