Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Lynn123

2024-03-18 10:20 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-17 1:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 6:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Myth or Fact

2024-02-23 3:25 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 1 1

Most Loved

Browse through 411.740 posts in 47.052 threads.

160,396 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GRHODA MAUI MARIE, Enordin, IRN, MNICOLE, AYNA NICOLE

Taking the incredibly difficult first steps

5 years ago 0 11209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Jackie,

Your doctor may be able to hook you up with reputable counsellors. You also may want to do a quick google search to see what community services are available in your area. Sometimes there are awesome and free or inexpensive support groups, counselling and educational programs. Also, check out https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca . You can search for registered counsellors in your area.

Please keep us updated on how you are doing! I have noticed there hasn't been much activity in the last few weeks. Please feel free to start discussions on whatever is on your mind :). Hopefully we can get this site moving again.

Take care,

Ashley, Health Educator

5 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Thank you Ashley,

I have just made an appointment with my GP to discuss medications that may help. At one point, I was averse to medication, but I am tired of feeling so out of control... I know medications help others. My son needed them in his teen years to over-come depression...

I look forward to being part of the community and will get started on the CBT homework.

I know I'll get through this, its just going to take some time. If I feel the need to actually speak to a counselor, preferably in person, how do I go about that? While I've always been averse to medication, I find talk-therapy also helps me get things sorted. Friends help, but I don't want to constantly bombard them with my problems.

Thanks,

Jackie

5 years ago 0 11209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Welcome!

I am glad you found us. I am sorry to read how you have been feeling. It is very common for people with depression and/or anxiety to isolate themselves. Good for you for fighting that instinct and going out with your friend. Fighting instincts like that and "doing it anyway" can actually be helpful when it comes to depression. I know it may have felt a bit counter intuitive. Also, good for you for looking for supports. Cognitive Behaviour Therapy is the gold standard treatment for depression and anxiety and that is what this program is based on. It does take practice but it does work. Also, consider speaking with your family doctor about how you are feeling. Medication is not required but research shows that people taking medication and practising CBT together have better results. The fact that you said you thought you had severe anxiety leads me to think a meeting with the doctor may be very important.

Recognising the issue and getting started is certainly a huge first step. Give yourself lots of credit now and every time you work on the program. Try to stick with one program at first. I suggest starting with the depression program. Try to complete one session a week and be sure to do all the homework (it's the most important part). We will be here to support you every step of the way.

Looking forward to reading more from you!

Ashley, Health Educator

5 years ago +1 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi All,

I have been suffering from depression (not diagnosed by a medical professional, just my observations of my former self vs my present self) for 18-24 months now, as well as moderate to severe anxiety for about 6 months. It has taken me a long time to admit to others that I need help. At first I thought I could fix it on my own, and I tried, but somehow, this has gotten too big to handle without help.

I finally admitted to a few of my close friends how close to the edge I feel most days after almost cancelling a hiking date (one of my favourite activities) with one of my closest and dearest friends. I hadn't spent any one-on-one quality time with her for a while, and should have been thrilled at the opportunity. Instead, I found myself looking for excuses to stay home. Fortunately, I did go on the hike and confided in my friend. It was at that point I recognized just how unmanageable things had become.

It is a huge step for me to admit that I can't manage on my own. I'm hoping this community will be able to provide support and guidance in my journey to overcome this. I'd really like to wake up and embrace each day instead of feeling like I'm going mad.

J

Reading this thread: