Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,520 Members

Please welcome our newest members: FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12

Pretty lost and sad

6 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Danica,

I am so sorry to hear about your loses. I cannot imagine the grief you must be experiencing right now. After losing three people you are close to it is completely understandable you would be experiencing extreme grief. Please take good care of yourself by taking care of your body and mind. Talk to loved ones, journal, seek counselling, practise mindfulness etc. Allow yourself to feel the emotions that are coming up and be compassionate with yourself. It is ok to not be ok right now.

The alcohol will make the grief worse and will likely make the medication less effective so any reduction or complete abstinence will have a positive impact on how you are feeling. It is common for many people to turn to alcohol as an escape but as you have mentioned it normally makes things worse. What other coping strategies can you use to replace alcohol?

Ashley, Health Educator
6 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Danica, I am sorry to hear about your loss. I imagine that is difficult to deal. Alcohol is easy to turn too. Sometimes I want a drink because it makes me a litter happier but I know that is not the answer. I am working on finding good friends to share new activities and experiences with.
6 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have 20 years experience managing anxiety and panic dissorder.  I've used medication seasonly to help me with my difficulties.  My panic started when I was 20, out of the blue.  I was so confused about what was going on.  Fortunately I sought counselling help that essentially got my life back with medication.  But in the past 6 months, I have lost my Granny, a friend (suicide), and my step-father.  I am taking my usual medication, but I am sad beyond that.  I have "supplemented" my medication with alcohol; which has destroyed my self esteem. 

Reading this thread: