Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,632 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

Hi

10 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Glad you stopped by Lemontwist!

Thanks for sharing what you have been going through. I am sorry you have been struggling. I hope we can help a bit. Also be sure to read the program. It is full of valuable information and it is based on Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. Talk to your  therapist about it if you chose to work on it.

The first thing that jumped out at me was the job stress. Stress at work can really be a killer. We spend so much time at work, it can have a huge impact on our overall well-being. What makes you think you are a failure at work? Do you think that is your perfectionist voice talking? It does sound like negative self talk. What do you think?

The other thing that jumped out at me is that you are struggling with your sexual orientation. Human beings often like to label and classify things. It's how we make sense of the world around us but sometimes this limits our view of reality. In my opinion sexuality is on a spectrum and is not a binary straight or gay. Some people also think it can change depending on the time and the people around us. I can totally understand how knowing your sexuality would be important just don't put unrealistic expectations on yourself - you don't have to fit into anyone else's definitions, create your own.

Drinking is common coping mechanism when they feel helpless in an area of their life. What do you think you are trying to avoid when you  drink?

Hope to hear from you soon!

Oh also, you might want to stop by some other threads...it seems DC members are not venturing out into other threads other then their own. As a veteran SSC member maybe you can lead the way?

Ashley, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 96 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've been dealing with a lot of anxiety and depression lately, and was referred here from the stopsmokingcenter.net website. Lots of annoying things going on in my life at the moment, nothing really on its own bad enough to make me miserable but in sum probably not helping much. I've always been a perfectionist and overachiever, and am in a really difficult job situation where I feel like a failure all the time. My job is also temporary but also high stress and a lot is expected of me before I leave in October. I also have to start job searching so I'm not unemployed when my contract is up. I'm also living about 1000 miles away from my family and friends from college, although I feel like I've done a good job making a lot of new friends where I currently live and I feel like I have a good support network here. I'm also struggling with figuring out my sexual orientation, suffered a very bad injury and surgery a few months ago and also just recently quit smoking. 

Lately I have been noticing I've been drinking a lot, and feel like I have been hanging on by the skin of my teeth trying to avoid smoking again. I'm going to therapy once a week and have stopped drinking after discussing it with my therapist. I feel a lot of self-destructive impulses, and when I feel good I feel like I'm not supposed to, which ironically makes me feel bad and confused.

Anyway, life isn't all bad. I exercise a lot, I love to run and figure skate and do so 5-6 times a week. Exercise always makes me feel better when I do it. I see my friends at least once a week, take a class once a week, and at least work gets me showered and dressed and out of my apartment 5 days a week. Sometimes I feel good, sometimes just OK, sometimes very anxious, sometimes miserable, sometimes like a robot, and sometimes I have no idea.  

Hopefully talking about it here will help. I know it'll be good knowing that I'm not alone. 

Reading this thread: